The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

1 hour ago, shoshin said:

Except it’s not. No Twitter link here. Just a multi-institution multi MD/PhD paper reviewing other studies of multiple PhD papers. 

It literally says Not Peer Reviewed on each page of the link.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Moron is your word, not mine.  The question of interpretation is not a close one here. The CDC suggests wearing a mask when in proximity to others.  If you can't be bothered to do that, then you're being selfish.  It is what it is. 

Being selfish isn’t a crime in a free society. In fact it’s one of the core principles.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

9 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

Either you believe him to have performed well or you support a mediocre president.  (And mediocre probably is a compliment.). Your choice. 

There’s no context to your statement. Judging any President’s performance needs to take into account many factors in place at the time he’s in office. Very generally speaking, there are three co-equal branches of government; there are other acting countries and governments; there are terrorist actors; the world economy affects ours; our own economy affects domestic policy; only about 55% of the electorate, at best, is supportive; the electorate’s societal ills affect domestic policy; the media’s treatment of the President.

You’d be hard pressed to find any President who’s performance is better than mediocre, at best.

12 minutes ago, Joe Miner said:

It literally says Not Peer Reviewed on each page of the link.

It is a literature review in pre publication. There is no peer review...except for the 27 studies it cites!

I will stick with the leading experts in the field and the CDC. The chiropractor is a source too. 

Edited by shoshin

Monday’s numbers are way, way down all over the country. This story is over. All that’s left now is a feeble bunch of government officials testing their newly discovered authority to boss people around. Get used to it! While the virus will fade, you’re not going to see any curve flattening when it comes to government mandates.

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

Is he wrong?

I already take D and zinc. But not because a back doctor says to. 

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Monday’s numbers are way, way down all over the country. This story is over. All that’s left now is a feeble bunch of government officials testing their newly discovered authority to boss people around. Get used to it! While the virus will fade, you’re not going to see any curve flattening when it comes to government mandates.

Monday’s numbers were up from Sunday and Mondays are always low. Tuesday to Thursday will show if we are finally seeing a slowdown that was the result of the shutdown. And in a month or so we will see the effect of reopening. Hopefully weather and distancing will keep things level. Either way as long as hospitals can handle it, we need to reopen. 

Today's hearing is highly anticipated, especially by the media and Trump's detractors.   In prepared remarks, apparently there is a snippet of a quote that is being taken out of context.  They are harping on his quote "needless suffering and death", if states open up too quickly.  Of course, what the media is focusing on is "needless suffering and death".  

We have said it here on this site quite a few times, he just seems to always provides these quotes that can easily be sensationalized by the media.  There are ways to communicate the exact same message without providing fodder to the media to hyperventilate over.

With that said, here are the questions that I would like to be asked today during the hearing:

1) By the time this all said and done, what do you believe that the actual mortality rate will be?  Not the confirmed case but what you believe to be the actual mortality rate?

2) Yes or no, do we have enough testing in all or most states in your view to go through phase 1?

3) Do you believe after all is said and done, that for people under the age of 65, COVID is about as dangerous to those individuals as the common flu?

4) Do you believe that overall, COVID is as dangerous, more dangerous or less dangerous than the common flu for those under the age of 10?

5) There have been a few studies and strong anecdotal accounts that suggest that children below the age of 10 are much less likely to pass on the virus to adults, what are your thoughts on that?

6) There were some strong anecdotal accounts from a pork plant in Missouri and quite a few prisons with sample sizes in the thousands that indicated that the asymptomatic rate was around 97%.  Do you believe there is a chance that the vast majority of people who have the virus are mildly effected if at all?

7) There have been studies that show that the primary driver to transmit the virus is in enclosed confined spaces where people don't typically just have casual contact but rather sustained period of contact before the virus is transmitted.  Such as transportation, meat plants, prisons, nursery homes or simply people bringing the virus into homes.  Do you agree with that?  

8 ) There are studies that suggest that being outside in the sun, heat and humidity that suggest that the environment for the virus is more hostile for it to spread.  What are your thoughts on that?

9) Do you believe that the vast majority of the population have the immune systems to effectively fight off the virus?  

10) What metric and gauge are you looking at to determine if the rate of prevalency is going up or down?  Do you value net totals of infections more so than rate of positive test results or vice versa?  Or is there another metric that you view more carefully?

The questions for Fauci shouldn't be so much about policy.  They should be about science.  I expect Democrats to try to ask questions that will lead to answers that don't fully provide a picture of the situation.   And I don't expect Republicans to ask the substantive questions that I believe should be asked because frankly speaking, I don't think any of these politicians are versed well enough to ask the right questions.

The questions should be related to science not policy.  It's not up to Fauci to create policy, his role is to provide the facts and data and give guidance.   It's up to policy makers to then use that scientific data to create policy.      I don't expect a substantive Q & A.

I will be watching Fauci closely today, my hopes are that he provides full context with his answers.  My guess is that he'll somehow provide more snippets in today's hearing that will be used against the administration that are taken out of it's context.

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Monday’s numbers were up from Sunday and Mondays are always low. Tuesday to Thursday will show if we are finally seeing a slowdown that was the result of the shutdown. And in a month or so we will see the effect of reopening. Hopefully weather and distancing will keep things level. Either way as long as hospitals can handle it, we need to reopen. 

I realize that the weekend is always lower.  I watch it every day. But the trending is undeniable. This story is over. And now that it is, if you look back and take the NY metro area out of it; the story never really began in a whole lot of this big country.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, shoshin said:

I like to believe we can do better than being number 13. 

On a per capita basis. 

After 4 months. 

In deaths. 

I want America to be the unqualified leader not the follower with caveats. 

I get your point, and I haven’t had the opportunity to look at the list, but I’d wager that we could crack the top ten if we are skeptical of some countries’ reporting.  And we could even get into the top five if we factor in testing capabilities. 

3 hours ago, shoshin said:

You do you. He will do him. I am not worried about these arguments at the fringes of masks and social shaming. If we are all mostly wearing masks (sometimes we all may forget), it will make a difference. 

Why quote me on this? I have no problem with him doing him. He’s the one that has the issue with me killing his family.....I mean doing me. 

Just now, Chef Jim said:

Why quote me on this? I have no problem with him doing him. He’s the one that has the issue with me killing his family.....I mean doing me. 

When I saw the thread, you were the latest post. I was making the larger point that as long as we are wearing masks in tighter settings and washing hands a lot, we are doing what we need to do for the most part. 

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

To be fair he is suggesting you wear a mask. Although I agree with your point of view on social distancing it is hard to disagree with him regarding the side benefits of your face being covered and the impact on trail aesthetics.

Well why didn’t he say so.  That would have saved us all a lot of back and forth. 

1 hour ago, Magox said:

There are structural disadvantages that the US has over all the other countries that are ranked better on a per capita basis.

Primarily one large factor, there are many multiples more of travel coming from infected areas being imported into the US than any other country.  There are no exact stats on net COVID infected people, but I'd be willing to wager that the net total of COVID infected individuals is much higher than any other country.   By the time the first community spread person was detected in the US, it was too late.  

So we need a wall?  ?

44 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Moron is your word, not mine.  The question of interpretation is not a close one here. The CDC suggests wearing a mask when in proximity to others.  If you can't be bothered to do that, then you're being selfish.  It is what it is. 

They do not suggest it while in parks and trails however.  But you refuse to acknowledge that. 

4 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

They do not suggest it while in parks and trails however.  But you refuse to acknowledge that. 

This response demonstrates the futility of advocating good behavior.   On one side you have people who think that masks should be worn everywhere, on the other are those who will never put on a mask.

The reality is in between.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, shoshin said:

When I saw the thread, you were the latest post. I was making the larger point that as long as we are wearing masks in tighter settings and washing hands a lot, we are doing what we need to do for the most part. 

Which I do but for some reason I’m being selfish if I choose to me able to breath when I’m on a strenuous hike ar least six feet away from everyone I encounter. This is not a retort to you this is in response to @SectionC3 doing what you rightly called social shaming. Chapter one out of the SJW playbook. 

Just now, GG said:

This response demonstrates the futility of advocating good behavior.   On one side you have people who think that masks should be worn everywhere, on the other are those who will never put on a mask.

The reality is in between.

Ant that’s where I, and most fit. In between. I guess he doesn’t understand that. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1