The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

Ok ok guys I got a shot and man do I feel great!!! Can I remove my mask now?

Do It Episode 3 GIF by Star Wars

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Well, a child’s will to get vaccinated or not may not be the right barometer. 

As a parent my view is, the effect time has with this vaccine is a unknown. 

typical vaccine developments take a decade of trial and testing. All we know so far it it seems ok in limiting testing after a year. 

A year, huh....  this was written in 2018, for what it's worth: https://www.nature.com/articles/nrd.2017.243#Tab4

2 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Simple question media and everyone that's not a Chinese agent should be demanding

How is any institution or business, or supposed to verify that people "allowed" to gather, are vaccinated? 

THE FACT THAT DETAIL WAS NOT ADDRESSED CONFIRMS THIS IS A SHAM 

Honestly though, we don't want vax police, do we? There has to be ambiguity unless we're giving the government some kind of regulatory powers to check vax cards. We definitely don't want that.

It's simple: the business sets their policy and the employees adhere to it. You stick to the honor system and live with it. Maybe some get creative with asking for vax cards to confirm, but that doesn't seem business-friendly.

I almost feel like my rights of freedom, as an American, are being infringed upon. 

With all this mask wearing/ not wearing, and vaccination card showing, or not showing. Idk, it's confusing. And I gotta tell ya, it's making me very uncomfortable 

57 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Really?? For a cortisone shot?  ***** awesome!! Thanks man. 

Got me!  Seriously go get the shot- be part of the solution.

10 minutes ago, TSOL said:

I almost feel like my rights of freedom, as an American, are being infringed upon. 

With all this mask wearing/ not wearing, and vaccination card showing, or not showing. Idk, it's confusing. And I gotta tell ya, it's making me very uncomfortable 

Masks really don’t and never did impinge on your freedom.  And no government at vs any level is making you be vaccinated.  You absolutely should get vaccinated but no one is going to haul you out of your house and force you to do so.

38 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Honestly though, we don't want vax police, do we? There has to be ambiguity unless we're giving the government some kind of regulatory powers to check vax cards. We definitely don't want that.

It's simple: the business sets their policy and the employees adhere to it. You stick to the honor system and live with it. Maybe some get creative with asking for vax cards to confirm, but that doesn't seem business-friendly.

The government is not going to do cards for that.  Businesses may require one for customers or employees as is their right.  They have freedom to do so.  And you have freedom to get one or not, support businesses or not as you want.  And so on.

Edited by oldmanfan

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

The government is not going to do cards for that.  Businesses may require one for customers or employees as is their right.  They have freedom to do so.  And you have freedom to get one or not, support businesses or not as you want.  And so on.

Exactly. That's why I'm not sure what those who complain about the CDC guidance are expecting.

With more of the population getting vaccinated, it's time to start moving away from the masks one way or another.

32 minutes ago, TSOL said:

So are we still hoarding toilet paper? Or is that not a thing anymore? 

We're hoarding gasoline now.

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Do It Episode 3 GIF by Star Wars

A year, huh....  this was written in 2018, for what it's worth: https://www.nature.com/articles/nrd.2017.243#Tab4

Did you even read the abstract?? Do you understand what promising and potential mean in the medical pipeline?? 

none of us ever had a successfully vetted mRNA vaccine until now. There certainly is a chance some yet to be know future outcomes are possible 

the FACT I’m speaking to is this mRNA corona virus vaccine has a year of human history. 

mRNA vaccines represent a promising alternative to conventional vaccine approaches because of their high potency, capacity for rapid development and potential for low-cost manufacture and safe administration. However, their application has until recently been restricted by the instability and inefficient in vivo delivery of mRNA.” 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Did you even read the abstract?? Do you understand what promising and potential mean in the medical pipeline?? 

none of us ever had a successfully vetted mRNA vaccine until now. There certainly is a chance some yet to be know future outcomes are possible 

Are you concerned about the delivery? That was the problem and by now it's mostly been addressed....obviously.

So what are your actual concerns now in 2021?

10 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Are you concerned about the delivery? That was the problem and by now it's mostly been addressed....obviously.

So what are your actual concerns now in 2021?

With me.... nada. I got moderna. With kids... I’d just like to see there are no long term 5-10 yr unintended effects...

I heard the pfeizer hurts more because it’s a bigger microchip right? 😝 

4 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

With me.... nada. I got moderna. With kids... I’d just like to see there are no long term 5-10 yr unintended effects...

I heard the pfeizer hurts more because it’s a bigger microchip right? 😝 

What unintended effects, though?

That was the point of what I posted. It lists what the actual concerns are and they don't include any crazy unknown physical effects like all the conspiracy theorists are afraid of.

Meanwhile, these same people have no problem with ingesting tons of processed foods, for example, which is so much worse than a vaccine.

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

What unintended effects, though?

That was the point of what I posted. It lists what the actual concerns are and they don't include any crazy unknown physical effects like all the conspiracy theorists are afraid of.

Meanwhile, these same people have no problem with ingesting tons of processed foods, for example, which is so much worse than a vaccine.

I think the point is they don’t know. Processed foods are are great example of modern science.. until it wasn’t. Just like transfats... round up... 

im not a conspiracy theorist  or antivaxer.  But I have seen enough unintended consequences in my life to know testing can’t substitute time. 

No one has any idea what, if any, long-term consequences there are with these mRNA vaccines.  How many drugs have you seen introduced, and then only 4-5 years later see a commercial on TV asking "were you prescribed X?  It has been shown to cause Y.  Call the law offices of Z."

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

Exactly. That's why I'm not sure what those who complain about the CDC guidance are expecting.

With more of the population getting vaccinated, it's time to start moving away from the masks one way or another.

We're hoarding gasoline now.

The issue with the non-vaccinated is they give the virus a host in which to propagate. Not only can that potentially kill the host, but it continues to give the virus time to mutate and survive.  

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

No one has any idea what, if any, long-term consequences there are with these mRNA vaccines.  How many drugs have you seen introduced, and then only 4-5 years later see a commercial on TV asking "were you prescribed X?  It has been shown to cause Y.  Call the law offices of Z."

The mRNA does not stay in the body for long as I understand it.  Once it is read by cells to allow them to make the viral protein it is rapidly degraded.  The rest of the formulation is just salts and some lipid to allow the mRNA to stay soluble.  It’s very difficult to see anything in there that would have a long term issue. 

5 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

The mRNA does not stay in the body for long as I understand it.  Once it is read by cells to allow them to make the viral protein it is rapidly degraded.  The rest of the formulation is just salts and some lipid to allow the mRNA to stay soluble.  It’s very difficult to see anything in there that would have a long term issue. 

There's still no proof that there won't be.  So I can understand those who are reluctant to get it. 

22 minutes ago, Doc said:

There's still no proof that there won't be.  So I can understand those who are reluctant to get it. 

There is nothing in there that should affect systems long term.  You are not doing anything to the genome at all.

30 minutes ago, Doc said:

7 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

There is nothing in there that should affect systems long term.  You are not doing anything to the genome at all.

A Doc and a Science dude who just happen to be two of the smartest, brightest and bestest minds around this little land of misfit toys we clank around in state emphatically and with clarity that the vaccine(s) are most likely +/- a death or seizure here or there safe and there probably is nothing at all to fear in the near immediate future and there are no known adverse side effects in the 82 days since vaccine deployment commenced!! 

I recall hanging out at the pool in our town growing up, and there was this guy there who had a hand, a shoulder but no in-between.  I believe he was what Billy Joel called one of the “children of thalidomide”.   ***** happens sometimes though people can have the best of intentions.   Hesitancy is completely natural, understandable especially when you’re an otherwise healthy individual.  

Btw, if the guy from the town is here now—it was impossible not to respect the hell out of you as a kid.  Hope you’re well. 

So everyone knows kids under 12 aren't vaccinated.

Should we just put the yellow stars on them now?

The CDC and Biden straight up did one of the most despicable things in the history of this country this week. 

Total frauds and cowards.  

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

The CDC and Biden straight up did one of the most despicable things in the history of this country this week. 

Quit whining

• Vomit 1

3 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

WTF are you talking about?  You've been whining for at least half a year about how we're going to wear masks forever.  The only thing preventing completely ditching them is selfish pricks (for the most part) or paranoid people not getting the vaccine.  A way around that to reach some type of herd immunity is vaccinating children and I'm glad the pfizer vaccine is approved for kids 12 and up now.  Hopefully a vaccine will come quickly for kids younger than that.

6 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

The issue with the non-vaccinated is they give the virus a host in which to propagate. Not only can that potentially kill the host, but it continues to give the virus time to mutate and survive.  

That's been my main case for pushing the hesitant worried about the long term side effects.  A new FDA medicine brought to market is much more dangerous as far as long term potential unforeseen consequences.  Plus, all the "vaccinations gone wrong" in our history have happened within the first couple months of the roll out. 

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1

Anyone ever question why we were locked up

“It came much faster than we expected,” said Emily Blumberg, director of transplant infectious diseases at Penn Medicine. “We are not ready for them to be as free as the CDC guidance allows.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/05/14/cdc-mask-update-decision-confusion/

Edited by plenzmd1

What about kids under 12?

There aren't any vaccines currently approved for their use in the U.S. – which means the younger set need to keep masking for the time being.

The CDC says all unvaccinated people age 2 and older "should wear masks in public settings and when around people who don't live in their household."

Experts at the American Academy of Pediatrics recommend unvaccinated children 2 and older continue to wear masks around others when indoors, especially when they are among at-risk adults such as those who are immunocompromised or over 65.

For vaccinated parents, it's okay to remove your masks, Landon says: "As long as everybody in your family, including yourself, are low-risk, it's probably fine for you to have an unmasked lifestyle now."

But she says parents might want to keep wearing a mask when they're out with their kids, to set a good example for them.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2021/05/14/997010917/what-the-new-mask-guidance-means-for-unvaccinated-kids-and-their-parents

Yep.  F that.

Science!!

Edited by Big Blitz

3 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

I’ll take a crack at it. 

It’s entirely plausible that the US government with a massive, ever-expanding budge my was caught off guard by COVID, pants down money for such things long spent elsewhere.  

It’s possible and probable that well-intentioned people did the best they could given what they had to work with.  

It’s possible that lockdowns were viewed as the best hope for the survival of humanity by some, an opportunity by others.  

However, it’s highly likely that somewhere along the line, that well-intentioned process morphed into an opportunity to seize upon a crisis, prey on the fears of people, and test drive the relative compliance and resolve of the typical American.  

Using science as a hammer, the compliant complied, while many setting the rules ignored them from social events to non-distanced baseball games to inauguration celebrations as people died and so on.      So, ordinary citizens allowed themselves to be locked down, forgoing worship, a visit to the nursing home or hospital to see a loved one as they drew their last breath, and family celebrations by the score.  “This is all for your own good and the good of the collective!”, we were assured.  Those that defied the rules were treated harshly, arrested, the weight of govt brought down upon them....but only if they operated a business or house of worship.  

On the other hand, science and leaders looked the other way as multitudes gathered, the virus presumably hovering about tens of thousands of people gathered together, apparently immune from spread and ultimately, it would seem in cases, prosecution for illegal acts.  

Along the way, decent folks like @oldmanfan, data folks, happy to opine on the need for folks to stop whining and be part of the vax solution, was loath to share an opinion on that sort of thing.  The data, as I understand him, was clear that folks from different households traveling, congregating and interacting surely spread the virus...but data was inconclusive about folks from different households traveling, congregating and interacting in the tens of thousands in pursuit of noble social justice causes.   

So, the plan seemed to be to test the resolve of the sheep in the flock as it relates to lockdowns, tolerance for obvious hypocrisy and some obvious “do as I say not as I do” behavior.  

In addition, this allowed for some additional test drives.  The ruling political class—those on govt work, saw very little direct financial impact over the past 15 months. Some in private industry were treated to a windfall.  The checks came, bills paid, lights on and in some cases, special science exemptions were carved into the system.  CDC rules and guidelines kinda sorta were applied  to most of us, but some schools carved their own path.  I’d think that was a pleasant surprise to them, that folks could have their lives turned upside down, their income devastated, yet obligations to the govt continued as always, with a stfu, pay your tribute and you’ll get what we give you approach employed.

Extended unemployment benefits...required due to the lockdown (for the compliant only, of course), paying people handsomely to stay home v work, the morphing of the discussion into wage equity and the like has a decidedly Universal Basic Income vibe to it. 

17 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Here's a better one.....the justification for this stupid:

"Quit whining."

---   @oldmanfan

I would bet the CDC recommends masking is not required for younger kids as the data indicates while they can harbor the virus, it is rare for them to contract disease or transmit.  States and local communities will set standards based on positive testing rates, percentage of vaccinations and such.  Which is why people should get vaccinated.  And when everyone is walking around without masks again (as should happen in the next few months) you will find yet more to complain about.  

• Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I’ll take a crack at it. 

It’s entirely plausible that the US government with a massive, ever-expanding budge my was caught off guard by COVID, pants down money for such things long spent elsewhere.  

It’s possible and probable that well-intentioned people did the best they could given what they had to work with.  

It’s possible that lockdowns were viewed as the best hope for the survival of humanity by some, an opportunity by others.  

However, it’s highly likely that somewhere along the line, that well-intentioned process morphed into an opportunity to seize upon a crisis, prey on the fears of people, and test drive the relative compliance and resolve of the typical American.  

Using science as a hammer, the compliant complied, while many setting the rules ignored them from social events to non-distanced baseball games to inauguration celebrations as people died and so on.      So, ordinary citizens allowed themselves to be locked down, forgoing worship, a visit to the nursing home or hospital to see a loved one as they drew their last breath, and family celebrations by the score.  “This is all for your own good and the good of the collective!”, we were assured.  Those that defied the rules were treated harshly, arrested, the weight of govt brought down upon them....but only if they operated a business or house of worship.  

On the other hand, science and leaders looked the other way as multitudes gathered, the virus presumably hovering about tens of thousands of people gathered together, apparently immune from spread and ultimately, it would seem in cases, prosecution for illegal acts.  

Along the way, decent folks like @oldmanfan, data folks, happy to opine on the need for folks to stop whining and be part of the vax solution, was loath to share an opinion on that sort of thing.  The data, as I understand him, was clear that folks from different households traveling, congregating and interacting surely spread the virus...but data was inconclusive about folks from different households traveling, congregating and interacting in the tens of thousands in pursuit of noble social justice causes.   

So, the plan seemed to be to test the resolve of the sheep in the flock as it relates to lockdowns, tolerance for obvious hypocrisy and some obvious “do as I say not as I do” behavior.  

In addition, this allowed for some additional test drives.  The ruling political class—those on govt work, saw very little direct financial impact over the past 15 months. Some in private industry were treated to a windfall.  The checks came, bills paid, lights on and in some cases, special science exemptions were carved into the system.  CDC rules and guidelines kinda sorta were applied  to most of us, but some schools carved their own path.  I’d think that was a pleasant surprise to them, that folks could have their lives turned upside down, their income devastated, yet obligations to the govt continued as always, with a stfu, pay your tribute and you’ll get what we give you approach employed.

Extended unemployment benefits...required due to the lockdown (for the compliant only, of course), paying people handsomely to stay home v work, the morphing of the discussion into wage equity and the like has a decidedly Universal Basic Income vibe to it. 

You just told a deliberate lie.  I have opined on that, as did Fauci and others with respect to the protests and such last year.  To reiterate, no one recommended such, but as I have pointed out the pictures I saw many were masked and they were outside which decreased possibility of spread (and as now know really decreases rate of infection).   I specifically stated that from an infection standpoint is was not advisable but that they had a right to protest guaranteed under the Constitution.  I am sure people got Covid from those protests; how many it is likely impossible to know.

Deliberately lying about what people have posted is really sad.  I would post about your reply with respect to the mRNA about not having side effects, about how most drugs out there like a thalidomide (which was way before the advent of more modern molecular biology techniques and such) and other medications act on membrane receptors whereas the vaccine does not.  I could add a lot more.  But since we now understand you will just lie about what I post I see no need.  

23 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

You just told a deliberate lie.  I have opined on that, as did Fauci and others with respect to the protests and such last year.  To reiterate, no one recommended such, but as I have pointed out the pictures I saw many were masked and they were outside which decreased possibility of spread (and as now know really decreases rate of infection).   I specifically stated that from an infection standpoint is was not advisable but that they had a right to protest guaranteed under the Constitution.  I am sure people got Covid from those protests; how many it is likely impossible to know.

Deliberately lying about what people have posted is really sad.  I would post about your reply with respect to the mRNA about not having side effects, about how most drugs out there like a thalidomide (which was way before the advent of more modern molecular biology techniques and such) and other medications act on membrane receptors whereas the vaccine does not.  I could add a lot more.  But since we now understand you will just lie about what I post I see no need.  

I’m sorry that my comments got you all riled up.  I know what you said, I know what you believe, and if you choose to thread the needle with pointing out that many of the assembled were masked as they marched arm and arm, completely glossing over the fact that all those folks travelled from somewhere, interacting with multiple different households, stopping to eat, buy gas, use restrooms and whatever...I don’t know what to tell you. I only pointed it out because it’s inconsistent with “stop whining and get vaccinated”.   For me personally, this multiple set of rules and guidelines and the “can’t really say about massive groups commingling” issue leads me to the conclusions I’ve reached.  

As for Fauci— man about town, People mage Sexiest Man of the Year,  #### of the walk and tenant of empty baseball stadiums...his role was to stand on the steps of the White House and scream “You’re killing people, probably those you love and many you don’t because your actions are exactly, precisely what we warn people about and why your fellow citizens are locked down, losing their income and dying alone on hermetically sealed hospital wards.”.   Instead we got plenty of guidance for us all, a shrugged shoulder or two on massive protests. 

As for thalidomide, thanks for the somewhat  passive aggressive response on all the stuff you won’t bother telling me.  I’m assuming since you’re outraged when you feel someone has implied you’re being untruthful but completely comfortable lobbing that grenade from the moral high ground you’ve claimed as your own, that you would acknowledge that there are unintended side effects and consequences from drugs, vaccines and medical treatments that are not immediately revealed even in this wondrous and error free environment we live in today.  Because I may not understand me no modern molecular biology techniques and such, but I swear to Jim Beam and Jack Daniels that I’ve heard rumors that shyt don’t always go as planned and whatnot. 

22 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I’m sorry that my comments got you all riled up.  I know what you said, I know what you believe, and if you choose to thread the needle with pointing out that many of the assembled were masked as they marched arm and arm, completely glossing over the fact that all those folks travelled from somewhere, interacting with multiple different households, stopping to eat, buy gas, use restrooms and whatever...I don’t know what to tell you. I only pointed it out because it’s inconsistent with “stop whining and get vaccinated”.   For me personally, this multiple set of rules and guidelines and the “can’t really say about massive groups commingling” issue leads me to the conclusions I’ve reached.  

As for Fauci— man about town, People mage Sexiest Man of the Year,  #### of the walk and tenant of empty baseball stadiums...his role was to stand on the steps of the White House and scream “You’re killing people, probably those you love and many you don’t because your actions are exactly, precisely what we warn people about and why your fellow citizens are locked down, losing their income and dying alone on hermetically sealed hospital wards.”.   Instead we got plenty of guidance for us all, a shrugged shoulder or two on massive protests. 

As for thalidomide, thanks for the somewhat  passive aggressive response on all the stuff you won’t bother telling me.  I’m assuming since you’re outraged when you feel someone has implied you’re being untruthful but completely comfortable lobbing that grenade from the moral high ground you’ve claimed as your own, that you would acknowledge that there are unintended side effects and consequences from drugs, vaccines and medical treatments that are not immediately revealed even in this wondrous and error free environment we live in today.  Because I may not understand me no modern molecular biology techniques and such, but I swear to Jim Beam and Jack Daniels that I’ve heard rumors that shyt don’t always go as planned and whatnot. 

Do you want to have an honest dialog or are you going to lie again about what I post?  If you want to have an honest dialog I can explain drugs and receptors and such.  If it’s going to bo more dishonesty then I’m not interested.  Let me know.

4 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

What about kids under 12?

There aren't any vaccines currently approved for their use in the U.S. – which means the younger set need to keep masking for the time being.

The CDC says all unvaccinated people age 2 and older "should wear masks in public settings and when around people who don't live in their household."

Experts at the American Academy of Pediatrics recommend unvaccinated children 2 and older continue to wear masks around others when indoors, especially when they are among at-risk adults such as those who are immunocompromised or over 65.

For vaccinated parents, it's okay to remove your masks, Landon says: "As long as everybody in your family, including yourself, are low-risk, it's probably fine for you to have an unmasked lifestyle now."

But she says parents might want to keep wearing a mask when they're out with their kids, to set a good example for them.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2021/05/14/997010917/what-the-new-mask-guidance-means-for-unvaccinated-kids-and-their-parents

Yep.  F that.

Science!!

They mask up when out public as we've been doing for the past year. How is this that hard?

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

Do you want to have an honest dialog or are you going to lie again about what I post?  If you want to have an honest dialog I can explain drugs and receptors and such.  If it’s going to bo more dishonesty then I’m not interested.  Let me know.

I reject your positioning of the question, so there seems little reason to move on. 

16 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I never felt locked up, personally. Wore a mask and went about my daily life.

Good for you but millions did not only feel locked up but were. Hard to go on with your daily life when you are required to work from home, not go to a gym for that much needed workout, restaurants were verboten and churches were shut down. 

Glad you got yours but not all were able to go about their normal daily lives. We all missed some things small and some things extremely important like the death of a loved one. 

• Like (+1) 1

Honor system, paper cards won't cut it for COVID vaccine verification, experts say. 'Vaccine passports' are coming.

No shirt, no shoes, no vaccine — no service.

That's the future critics of "vaccine passports" fear as Americans vaccinated against COVID-19 can safely live more normal lives, now including spending time in most indoors settings without a mask.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2021/05/15/vaccine-passports-covid-19-vaccine-verification-coming/7130642002/

Why?

What happened to just flatten the curve don't overwhelm hospitals? 

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

They mask up when out public as we've been doing for the past year. How is this that hard?

You don't have kids under 10.

Edited by Big Blitz