The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

22 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Simple solution - split the US into two countries. Red states can have Trump lead and Blue states can have any functioning adult run blue.

How long will red states survive without blue state bailouts?

Oh my you can't be serious.  Who would pay for all the blue state giveaways?  You'd have all the productive and self sufficient types flocking to the red states leaving the blue with nothing but wagon riders.  Bring. It. On. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Everything with you is either black or white. In order to sell a major change in the way our country is funded certain objections will have to be dealt with. The biggest objection to a national sales tax is that it is progressive. Let's say a couple with 2 kids earn $45000 a year and just fall under the earnings that would have them pay federal income tax. They pay the sales tax but get refunded money to compensate for their low income. The high income people will have to pay taxes on everything they purchase. While The Fair Tax may cause a certain amount of reluctance for wealthy people to splurge they'll at least insure that they have invested their money in ways to make more money. Sooner or later they'll purchase that 10 million dollar yacht with a 2 million dollar tax bill. 

Why are you so eager to let people off the tax hook? My biggest pet peeve with the tax code is that half the population doesn't pay. And yet that half gets a whole bunch of taxpayer funded benefits.

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

Why are you so eager to let people off the tax hook? My biggest pet peeve with the tax code is that half the population doesn't pay. And yet that half gets a whole bunch of taxpayer funded benefits.

Because I'd rather see something actually get done than just have a pipe dream that will never go anywhere. 

2 hours ago, Kemp said:

Exactly who is stopping you from making your own way in life?

While you may embrace diversity, there are more than a few who fear it.

Do the ones who fear diversity have an invalid opinion?

Isn’t diversity of opinion important, too — even if that opinion advocates less inclusion?

**Before I get inaccurately labeled, pease note that I’m an advocate for diversity of culture and lifestyles, and I also accept people who don’t share my view.  There are too many people who like to shame or diminish the opinion of the “more than a few” who may fear or repel diversity. To me, that’s wrongheaded.

6 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

On a side note, how do you like construction in Niagara Falls?

...we avoid it at all costs.....but a major customer has operations there and rely on us for service/maintenance.....here is the Union lunacy......I may have service calls to NF that total 8 hours in a month.....our tech signs in there and I have to remit his Unions benefits to the NF local......so based on the numerous Funds contributions, I am cutting probably four checks for 15 cents or less in a month....postage, envelope/stationery cost, labor to prepare the Fund report, etc??.....i want to send the SOB's a roll of pennies and have them let me know when it runs out....they will NOT budge....

13 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

Oh my you can't be serious.  Who would pay for all the blue state giveaways?  You'd have all the productive and self sufficient types flocking to the red states leaving the blue with nothing but wagon riders.  Bring. It. On. 

Red states couldn’t survive without blue states.

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Same here in WNY, Walmart was packed. I agree about restaurants not being able to make it on 50% but on the other hand if the all clear was given, how many won’t return because of fear? And schools? Packing people in like sardines? Sporting events? Doubt that. 

But I agree, we can’t do this forever. 

They can’t keep schools closed next school year.  Maybe have kids switch off with in-school and at home learning, but kids need the socialization, and (just as important) a giant number of parents can’t work when their kids are at home. Also, I’m betting that there are a lot of kids out there who aren’t getting a sufficient education electronically. With schools out, there’s really no way to even partially open the economy, and it is highly likely that kids’ development will be stunted without physically attending school.

2 minutes ago, snafu said:

They can’t keep schools closed next school year.  Maybe have kids switch off with in-school and at home learning, but kids need the socialization, and (just as important) a giant number of parents can’t work when their kids are at home. Also, I’m betting that there are a lot of kids out there who aren’t getting a sufficient education electronically. With schools out, there’s really no way to even partially open the economy, and it is highly likely that kids’ development will be stunted without physically attending school.

There have been virtually ZERO deaths of any school aged children anywhere in America. The key will be for more senior ADULTS to stay away from kids until we have a better idea as to whether kids actually transmit it to them.

3 hours ago, Kemp said:

That's fine, but then you have to enforce the rules that people wear masks in public, otherwise you are removing the freedom of choice of those in high-risk groups that don't want to be confined to their homes.

Can’t disagree more. Those with a high risk problem need to take precautions like wearing a mask and going out less. That means avoiding crowds, wearing a mask if they do decide to go in a restaurant etc. It’s a new reality for some. Their freedom of choice is limited by their own condition, and the existence of a virus in the world. Not by the free choices made by others, including the choice of not wearing a mask. Requiring a mask would be removing the freedom of choice of people in general. One is simply an act of nature. The other is an overreach of government; an act of man. The lefts never ending drive for equality of life’s outcomes is behind that type of thinking. 

34 minutes ago, Kemp said:

I can't say I'm surprised that rather than stay on topic and address the facts, that you were forced to head in this direction. I didn't B word and moan. I stated the facts about taxation in America and backed it up with links that proved my side of the discussion. It forced you into a corner where you felt your only choice was to lash out.

I’d just like to point out that the topic of this thread is Covid-19. The past several pages of this thread have been off topic, and you appear to be the main driver of that diversion.

• Like (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Both those stores are crushing it right now because so many people are taking the time do some some improvements. The Home Depot by me has metered occupancy.  I don't know what the capacity number is, but you stand in a line outside. Two come out, two go in. We were using curbside pick up for a while, but the HD isprobably one of the worst run HD's I've ever been to, so we've started moving over to Lowes.

Just got back from Lowe's and Home Depot. Home Depot here just went to metered occupancy about a week or so ago - with a long line outside. Lowe's is just wide open and packed. My preference is Lowes; however, I also had to go to Home Depot this morning for a specific type of cement (spent the last two weeks building a small replica of a Roman fountain).

These stores have been packed every single day and most of the people are not wearing masks. People are out all the time in the county I live in, and it's been like that all through the lockdown. Over 1.2 Million people in the county and, so, far, 16 Covid deaths.

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

Can’t disagree more. Those with a high risk problem need to take precautions like wearing a mask and going out less. That means avoiding crowds, wearing a mask if they do decide to go in a restaurant etc. It’s a new reality for some. Their freedom of choice is limited by their own condition, and the existence of a virus in the world. Not by the free choices made by others, including the choice of not wearing a mask. Requiring a mask would be removing the freedom of choice of people in general. One is simply an act of nature. The other is an overreach of government; an act of man. The lefts never ending drive for equality of life’s outcomes is behind that type of thinking. 

Exactly. When the astronauts returned from space we didn’t quarantine America. We quarantined the astronauts! People with peanut allergies try and avoid peanuts. We don’t ban peanut butter! People with pollen allergies don’t generally become landscape contractors. We don’t ban grass! 

1 minute ago, snafu said:

I’d just like to point out that the topic of this thread is Covid-19. The past several pages of this thread have been off topic, and you appear to be the main driver of that diversion.

Good point....and it proves that Covid 19 has been played out to its logical conclusion. There’s nothing to see or read anymore. We’re in the clean up mode now. Time to get back to normal life and put out whatever hot spots spring up here and there. (You ever hear of anyone getting a flu shot in July?)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, snafu said:

I think that you meant that they SHOULD NOT keep schools closed next school year.  I can see states such as NY electing to forgo in-building schooling for 2020-2021.  Educators have been disconnected for quite a while now in terms of seeing how most parents need to conduct their lives.  Educators see the pandemic as a huge opportunity for social engineering unfortunately.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

Exactly. When the astronauts returned from space we didn’t quarantine America. We quarantined the astronauts! People with peanut allergies try and avoid peanuts. We don’t ban peanut butter! People with pollen allergies don’t generally become landscape contractors. We don’t ban grass! 

I totally agree. We are a nation built on freedom and individual liberty. We cannot take those liberties away. Limiting our freedoms is an overreaction of government. In society, we make an accommodation for a wheelchair bound person by building a ramp and maybe offering a larger seating area. We do not require all patrons in the area to use wheelchairs. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Just got back from Lowe's and Home Depot. Home Depot here just went to metered occupancy about a week or so ago - with a long line outside. Lowe's is just wide open and packed. My preference is Lowes; however, I also had to go to Home Depot this morning for a specific type of cement (spent the last two weeks building a small replica of a Roman fountain).

These stores have been packed every single day and most of the people are not wearing masks. People are out all the time in the county I live in, and it's been like that all through the lockdown. Over 1.2 Million people in the county and, so, far, 16 Covid deaths.

On the way home from town yesterday I saw people out mowing their lawns wearing a mask.  When I cut mine yesterday afternoon I went on business as usual and did not wear a mask.

13 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I totally agree. We are a nation built on freedom and individual liberty. We cannot take those liberties away. Limiting our freedoms is an overreaction of government. In society, we make an accommodation for a wheelchair bound person by building a ramp and maybe offering a larger seating area. We do not require all patrons in the area to use wheelchairs. 

I’m an architect. In my business we’re always wondering why we’re being asked to lower all of the countertops as opposed to simply raising the wheelchairs. 

1 hour ago, Kemp said:

A perfect example would be my mother who is long retired. She hasn't paid taxes in 20 years until Trump came into power. Last year, she had to pay $1200. She doesn't work and is not in the stock market, so there's no change in her situation.

He has cut taxes of corporations, while the taxes of those in NYC and New Jersey have gone up drastically. That's factual, not opinion based. Even my friends who are Trump supporters won't dispute this.

Not sure if you know what I for a living but part of what your talking about is very much a part of what I do.  I know nothing about your mom or your situations so there could be many reasons why your mom's taxes went up.  I you could, without going in too much detail on her situation, explain why her taxes have gone up and why it's due to Trump "coming into power".  

Also the same thing regarding your situation.  You mention specific geographic regions (NYC/NJ).  Could those be an increase in state and local taxes not the Fed?  Again without giving up too much of you personal situation can you point to the actual tax changes since Trump "came into power" that caused these tax increases.  

34 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Ah, here's the rub: A mask does little to protect the wearer but it does a lot to protect other people. It's a tough problem to deal with.