The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

1 minute ago, 3rdnlng said:

That's why one of the proposals gives a rebate to the lower income earners that would basically replicate what's being done now. The Fair Tax would vastly reduce the size of the IRS and eliminate nearly all of the cheating.

I'm proposing no deductions or exceptions. One form, all income listed, radical penalties for cheats and avoiders. 

Just now, IDBillzFan said:

What in the ever-loving !@#$ are you barking about? I own an S-corp and you can't even begin to comprehend the amount of taxes we've paid in our 16 year existence.

You really need to get away from not just from your computer, but also away from pretty much ANYONE who is feeding you this embarrassingly stupid concep. Your entire post above above proves you literally know less about anything than virtually ANYONE on this board, and that includes Tibs, Gary, baskin and Q-tip.

It's about large corporations, not small ones. That's where the money is and that's where taxes are not being paid. I suggest it's you that doesn't know what's going on.

I've already posted the link to the numbers.

18 minutes ago, Kemp said:

The poor  pay sales tax..

The rich don't pay.

Corporations don't pay.

The middle class continues to shrink.

The rich don't pay what?  I'll agree somewhat on corporations.  In this last round of corp tax cuts there was an opportunity to clean up the code a bit so that the actual taxes paid by large corporations are more similar to tax rates. 

But really, how are rich people or upper earners not paying their fair share?

Edited by keepthefaith

Just now, keepthefaith said:

The rich don't pay what?  I'll agree somewhat on corporations.  In this last round of corp tax cuts there was an opportunity to clean up the code a bit so that the actual rates paid by corporations are more similar to tax rates. 

But really, how are rich people or upper eaners not paying their fair share?

The best example would be that a secretary at Warren Buffett's company paid more in percentage of taxes than Warren Buffett.

https://money.cnn.com/2013/03/04/news/economy/buffett-secretary-taxes/index.html

1 minute ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I know. Because both the rich and poor oppose it.

Er, disagree on the rich part. Even if they did something like the first $50K is no tax, unless it was a 35% flat tax, those of higher wealth would come out (way) ahead.

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Er, disagree on the rich part. Even if they did something like the first $50K is no tax, unless it was a 35% flat tax, those of higher wealth would come out (way) ahead.

Again I'm against any deductions or exceptions. All income at say 20%. Important note: not just earned income. Interest, investment, corporate, dividend, whatever.

Edited by Joe in Winslow
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kemp said:

It's about large corporations, not small ones. That's where the money is and that's where taxes are not being paid. I suggest it's you that doesn't know what's going on.

That's not what you wrote. But as our most vocal alarmist leftist who has to whine, b1tch and moan anything that robs you of a having the nanny state you dream about, no one should  be surprised that even YOU don't understand what the !@#$ you're posting.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Something to consider guys. Sit-down restaurants (generally speaking) make their profits from the liquor and wines that they sell to go with their steaks and salmon dinners. Selling food without liquor for most restaurants is a losing proposition. If capacity is reduced in-house then less liquor will be sold. No amount of takeout food will make up for the loss of alcohol sales. In all reality, restaurants need to be able to get back to actual capacity in order to stay viable. Now, some of you may want to dispute my contention by using the pizza and sub shop example. They don't have to sell liquor because they have built their profits into their business plan sans liquor. They get away with it because the price point for a carryout pizza or sub is relatively low. The sit-down restaurant will have a difficult time raising prices enough to cover up for reducing their capacity by 50%. So, choices in the future will be to find a way to get our restaurants back to actual capacity or have them be the havens of the elite. 

I took an entrepreneur course while in college many years ago.  No money in selling steak and potatoes other than very high end restaurants.  Hard to make it as a mom and pop pizzeria as the chains do much better on the cost of ingredients.  Pasta is the most profitable and can be priced below steaks considerably to influence otherwise non-preferential customers.  This is why you get the endless blitz in commercials about Italian culture and if you buy into veganism all the better for the restaurant's profits.

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

Again I'm against any deductions or exceptions. All income at say 20%.

And, that would be why it will never happen. For someone earning under $50K a year, 20% is a painful tax amount.

11 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

I dont know about other states, but here in NY if your employer reaches out to bring you back, that is a job offer and you automatically are ineligible to continue to recieve unenjoyment.

...we are in NYS as well being a Union construction firm......apprentices and CE/CW classifications (another form of trainees) did the math and figured out they can make more staying at home, thus taking voluntary layoffs/furloughs citing fears of bringing Covid-19 home.....keep in mind that with 180+ field construction workers, we have not had ONE Covid-19 case.....a major project for us with a 60 man crew dropped to 45 due to voluntary layoffs/furloughs.....we now have potential exposure to liquidated damages as a trailing trade if We delay the project.....we are taking a more aggressive approach with this group, calling them back as "work available" and disputing ongoing unemployment claims......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I'm proposing no deductions or exceptions. One form, all income listed, radical penalties for cheats and avoiders. 

Everything with you is either black or white. In order to sell a major change in the way our country is funded certain objections will have to be dealt with. The biggest objection to a national sales tax is that it is progressive. Let's say a couple with 2 kids earn $45000 a year and just fall under the earnings that would have them pay federal income tax. They pay the sales tax but get refunded money to compensate for their low income. The high income people will have to pay taxes on everything they purchase. While The Fair Tax may cause a certain amount of reluctance for wealthy people to splurge they'll at least insure that they have invested their money in ways to make more money. Sooner or later they'll purchase that 10 million dollar yacht with a 2 million dollar tax bill. 

1 minute ago, IDBillzFan said:

That's not what you wrote. But as our most vocal alarmist leftist who has to whine, b1tch and moan anything that robs you of a having the nanny state you dream about, no one should  be surprised that even YOU don't understand what the !@#$ you're posting.

I can't say I'm surprised that rather than stay on topic and address the facts, that you were forced to head in this direction. I didn't B word and moan. I stated the facts about taxation in America and backed it up with links that proved my side of the discussion. It forced you into a corner where you felt your only choice was to lash out.

12 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Kemp. You’re missing the point. If the corporation doesn’t pay taxes, someone does! The employees. The union. The executives. The shareholders. Etc. Where do you think the money goes? Does it just evaporate? For heavens sake man....think!

22 minutes ago, Kemp said:

The best example would be that a secretary at Warren Buffett's company paid more in percentage of taxes than Warren Buffett.

https://money.cnn.com/2013/03/04/news/economy/buffett-secretary-taxes/index.html

An extreme example.  Capital gains are taxed differently than ordinary income.  If you want to make the argument that taxes from investments should be taxed at the same rates as ordinary income then make it.  That change could cause middle class people to pay higher tax rates on the gains or dividends from those investments. 

Agree with Joe up above, a flatter tax code with fewer carve-outs will clean a lot of this up.  Doubtful we ever get away from a progressive tax code at the fed level but if it were simplified and a law was passed that rates can only be adjusted up or down by the same increments for all brackets, our pols would have to be a lot more responsible and less partisan. 

Edited by keepthefaith

2 minutes ago, Kemp said:

I can't say I'm surprised that rather than stay on topic and address the facts, that you were forced to head in this direction. I didn't B word and moan. I stated the facts about taxation in America and backed it up with links that proved my side of the discussion. It forced you into a corner where you felt your only choice was to lash out.

You said Corporations don't pay taxes.

Those are your words, you freaking chucklehead. Do you have a link showing ALL corporations don't pay taxes?

We'll wait.

You were corrected, but instead of saying something thoughtful like "I misspoke. What i meant to say to say was...." you double down because you truly believe, in your heart of hearts, that you were right, even though you were wrong.

Don't  be a disingenuous asshat. Admit you effed up and move on.

7 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

And, that would be why it will never happen. For someone earning under $50K a year, 20% is a painful tax amount.

Gal, there would be a transition period, as we transition to a new form of taxation. People who now make $50,000 would then make $60,000 and their NET take home would not change. All of this can be done with a simple computation. 

7 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...we are in NYS as well being a Union construction firm......apprentices and CE/CW classifications (another form of trainees) did the math and figured out they can make more staying at home, thus taking voluntary layoffs/furloughs citing fears of bringing Covid-19 home.....keep in mind that with 180+ field construction workers, we have not had ONE Covid-19 case.....a major project for us with a 60 man crew dropped to 45 due to voluntary layoffs/furloughs.....we now have potential exposure to liquidated damages as a trailing trade if We delay the project.....we are taking a more aggressive approach with this group, calling them back as "work available" and disputing ongoing unemployment claims......

On a side note, how do you like construction in Niagara Falls?

7 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I know most of you won't take this seriously because of your flawed weatherman logic. "Look at the source! They got _________ wrong!"

82 Administration officials, outside advisers and other experts with direct knowledge of the White House's handling of the pandemic seems pretty hard to completely dismiss.

So many issues, but too many of you will just dismiss the reporting as baseless...

But...

I will ask this of the folks over here based on your wild mistrust of MSM, which I recently learned from you is "mainstream media:"

Why the ***** do you so adamantly back a President who has Fox News hosts like Laura Ingraham to the White House late at night with her own handpicked guests in tow to push controversial drugs like hydroxychloroquine, which has, at the VERY least, been found to be significantly more dangerous than the President's initial "what do you have to lose?" attitude in terms of trying it.

There's just way too much cognitive dissonance over here in the extreme mistrust of mainstream media while Donald Trump uses some of its most controversial, narcissistic and frankly idiotic members (Hannity) as some of his closest advisers to ultimately guide his own policy, which has VERY clearly been happening for years now, just as it continued immediately after his late night White House visit from Ingraham.

Ahhh, the WaPo. A liberal rag owned by Jeff Bezos; the man making the most profits by people being told to “ stay home”. The LSM (or MSM ) has earned the mistrust through their own doing. They are quite literally an arm of the Democratic Party. Their extreme left wing personalities ( Don Lemon -king of the race card) constantly push a wildly liberal view of America. A view many Americans don’t share. Ironically, you cite two of the most intelligent people on TV news today in Hannity and Laura Ingraham to try and make your typically off base point. Whatever your feelings are on Hydroxychloroquine, it’s largely irrelevant to the larger picture. The LSM are complicit with the left; look at their utter silence on Biden’s accuser. Compare that to Kavanaugh and the universal outrage they peddled. The hypocrisy is obvious.