The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

Just now, Koko78 said:

giphy.gif

Just re-watched that last night. First time in a number of years. 

It's definitely the last "comedy" made by a big Hollywood studio -- you know, before they started pushing our society to the right with all their conservative messaging and themes :lol: 

• Haha (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, TPS said:

That measure for deaths is not really relevant unless every country is at a similar point along the curve.  We'll see how the US fares eventually at the end of this.

This type of pandemic has been discussed and prepared for going back to Bush Jr.  The most recent "exercise" was Last October.

We've gone over this, but the outcome is dependent on how quickly we acted, especially with the ability to test.  That was a complete fiasco here.

Deblasio, to a certain extent Cuomo, and the Federal Government were slow to act.  Newsom was not.  The US is more like  handful of countries, not one contiguous one...

Trump initially hoped it would just go away so his economy would not be harmed, and his media interactions showed this.  Then, he finally figured out if he showed leadership that it would help him.  Now you can't shut him up....

It is relevant but you are right that there are countries on different curves.  So those numbers will continue to adjust.

In regards to Trump's words, they were not helpful.  But there was a major difference between his words and the government's actions.   Behind the scenes they were doing things, the China travel ban for some reason is dismissed by a lot of you folks as if it was meaningless.  They created this task force in January.  If we are going to be reasonable about this, I think it was everyone's hopes that there weren't going to be hardly any community spread infections and if so that the hopes that there would be some successful contact tracing.

The reality is that when we first heard about it in Washington, the fact of the matter was that it was already deep in the U.S at that time.  That Washington case was just the canary in the coal mine.  And if you listen to what Dr. Birx says, she explicitly makes the case that the reason why the U.S response was slow was because:

“When you talk about could we have known something different, you know, I think all of us — I mean I was overseas when this happened, in Africa, and I think when you look at the China data originally, and you said, 'Oh well, there’s 80 million people, or 20 million people in Wuhan and 80 million people in Hubei,' and they come up with the number of 50,000, you start thinking of this more like SARS than you do this kind of global pandemic,” she said.

The coordinator then explained that the medical community was not expecting the magnitude of the pandemic based on the data from China. In particular, she referenced the area in which the virus likely originated, Hubei province, for having "close quarters" and implied that the number of cases reported by the country led medical experts to believe the virus was less contagious.

"So, I think the medical community interpreted the Chinese data as this was serious but smaller than anyone expected, because I think probably we were missing a significant amount of the data," Birx continued, noting that U.S. officials have a better idea of the virus after following its spread in Spain and Italy.

If you take Dr. Birx word at it's face, then I think reasonable people can agree that the U.S's efforts were greatly hampered by the lack of transparency and honesty from China.

Edited by Magox

9 minutes ago, Magox said:

If you take Dr. Birx word at it's face, then I think reasonable people can agree that the U.S's efforts were greatly hampered by the lack of transparency and honesty from China.

And why were we in a position where information from a country that we declared economic and politcial war against is our best resource for our own defense? Should we not have maintained the scientists we had that could have done independent analysis? What about the trillion dollars we spend on defense and national security? Why wasn't the CIA involved? 

Edited by BullBuchanan

3 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

And why were we in a position where information from a country that we declared economic and politcial war against is our best resource for our own defense? Should we not have maintained the scientists we had that could have done independent analysis? What about the trillion dollars we spend on defense and national security? Why wasn't the CIA involved? 

giphy.gif

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

Partially because of this:

Despite rising numbers in both coronavirus infections and fatalities, China has refused offers of assistance from two of the world’s foremost agencies on infectious disease, according to The New York Times. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has been offering to send a team of experts from its Epidemic Intelligence Service for more than a month to no avail. And the World Health Organization has also met resistance to travel to Wuhan, where the outbreak started. Some top diplomats told the Times that they fear that China does not want to appear to be unable to handle the growing problem alone. The CDC said it hoped that by observing the medical conditions, it could improve an American response to any threat of a widespread outbreak in the U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex Azar told a news conference on Friday that it was out of his hands. “It’s up to the Chinese,” he said. “We continue to expect fully that President Xi will accept our offer. We're ready and willing and able to go.”

• Like (+1) 1

"President Trump said Tuesday that he did not learn of two memos written in January and February by his own economic adviser warning that a COVID-19 pandemic could kill as many as 2 million Americans until “maybe a day ago.”

“I heard he wrote some memos talking about pandemic,” Trump said during a White House coronavirus task force briefing, “I didn’t see them. I didn’t look for them, either.”"

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-adviser-warned-of-millions-of-coronavirus-deaths-back-in-january-trump-says-he-only-saw-the-memo-this-week-005304311.html

3 hours ago, Q-baby! said:

Once again, you are so wrong. You wish you had my successes. Your inability to comprehend causes you to paint people with the same brush. I don’t subscribe to any of that bull#### you just listed. But carry on smart guy! 

Says the guy who calls anyone who disagrees with him a Trump ball licker.  Hypocrisy thy name is Q-baby.  

Just now, Chef Jim said:

Says the guy who calls anyone who disagrees with him a Trump ball licker.  Hypocrisy thy name is Q-baby.  

I call ball lickers, ball lickers. Has nothing to do with disagreeing. No matter what Dr. Trump does the ball lickers love it no matter what. You a ball licker? 

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

Oh so you didn't know that he was also talking about people?  I'm sorry I gave you too much credit.  Carry on.........

I know what he was talking about and I know what I was talking about. Now make me a sannich! 

44 minutes ago, Magox said:

This is a pretty cool tool that shows the projections of all of the 50 states, their peak points and estimated death per capita predictions.

I think some of their states are off, but I suppose we'll soon find out.

Yeah NJ's a bit off. 

Oh wait you're talking about projections.  Never mind. 

14 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Why were we in a position to trust the globalist community and institutional structures? 

Why... it must be because we as a society have been pushed towards the "extreme-right", and everyone knows that right of center people have been the driving force of globalism over the past thirty years. 

Confused GIFs | Tenor

.... Wait a second. That can't be right. 

@BullBuchanan just keeps on proving himself to be dumber than his last post. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Q-baby! said:

I call ball lickers, ball lickers. Has nothing to do with disagreeing. No matter what Dr. Trump does the ball lickers love it no matter what. You a ball licker? 

I know what he was talking about and I know what I was talking about. Now make me a sannich! 

Well this is interesting.  Because when I've pressed you to define what a ball liker is your ran away with your tail between your legs.  Good job.

Oh so you know what he was talking about?  Are you sure?

Oh #2.  It's sammich. 

47 minutes ago, Magox said:

This is a pretty cool tool that shows the projections of all of the 50 states, their peak points and estimated death per capita predictions.

I think some of their states are off, but I suppose we'll soon find out.

That is the IHME model on an NPR webpage. It's wildly off in some states already (PA has 2x as many deaths n the last two days as it projects) and they just adjusted the model two days ago. It's a GIGO issue but it's the same model everyone has been discussing/attacking here and in the media. 

13 minutes ago, Magox said:

Partially because of this:

That would be a fair point, if we were coming at this cold, but we're not. China not wanting to appear weak, or need assistance should be so well known, that we should be more harsh with internal experts that don't understand that cultural identity than we should be with china for having it at this point. We should hold subject matter experts accountable to actually be experts. That includes anticipating disinformation and a lack of transparency.

21 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Why wasn't the CIA involved? 

This is an important question -- which shows (again) how uniformed @BullBuchanan is about reality

Why doesn't the CIA have a strong footprint in China in which to do the kind of things he's asking? Why, that's because the entire HUMINT network was destroyed due to Clinton and Obama's failures (or payoffs) as SecState and POTUS.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/20/world/asia/china-cia-spies-espionage.html

But details! 

• Like (+1) 2

That would be a fair point, if we were coming at this cold, but we're not. China not wanting to appear weak, or need assistance should be so well known, that we should be more harsh with internal experts that don't understand that cultural identity than we should be with china for having it at this point. We should hold subject matter experts accountable to actually be experts. That includes anticipating disinformation and a lack of transparency.

You mean like the WHO?

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Why were we in a position to trust the globalist community and institutional structures? 

Aliens are globalists and are the most advanced species in the universe

Edited by Gary Busey
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/campbell-fighting-covid-19-is-a-surreal-lonely-experience

Campbell: Fighting COVID-19 is a surreal, lonely experience

Former Bills tight end Mark Campbell joined Howard and Jeremy on Thursday to talk about his experience fighting the coronavirus

The coronavirus has already affected millions of people around the world, and the number of cases in the United States continues to rise by the day.

Here locally in Erie County, the coronavirus has already affected thousands of people with more than 1,400 active cases across the region. The positive news is that 360 people have already recovered from COVID-19, but 51 people have unfortunately died as a result of the virus.

Throughout the sports world, a number of leagues have already suspended or canceled their seasons, while many major sporting events have been postponed to a later date or already been canceled. The National Hockey League and the Buffalo Sabres continues to wait out the situation and evaluate if a return to action for the 2019-20 season is even possible. Meanwhile, the National Football League and the Buffalo Bills are proceeding with the upcoming NFL Draft, which is set to take place virtually from Thursday, April 23 through Saturday, April 26.

More and more every day,  people around the community being affected by COVID-19, whether it be directly or indirectly with family members or other friends or acquaintances dealing with the virus.

Former NFL tight end Mark Campbell played 10 seasons in the NFL, spending three of those years with the Bills from 2003 to 2005. The 44-year-old is currently living in Michigan, but is also dealing with a personal battle against the coronavirus. Campbell was hospitalized for a total of five days, but he is back home and under self-quarantine for another week.

Campbell took some time on Thursday to join Howard Simon and Jeremy White to share his experience with fighting the coronavirus, and what his ordeal has been like throughout the process. 

Here is some of what he had to say:

Campbell on his days leading up to hospitalization for the coronavirus:

"I basically was going through, what I thought to be, the flu process. I did go to the hospital when this whole thing began, I took my temperature and it was 102.6. So I went to the hospital, and here in Michigan, they're doing these drive-thrus where they kind of screen you. They basically said that you probably have it, we're not going to test you, but go home and quarantine. I did that, went through all those typical flu symptoms.

"Day 5 was when I started to get, what people are referring to as that dry cough. It's really just kind of this nuisance cough. It's not like I'm coughing up or anything like that, it's like an unproductive cough. Truthfully, right around Day 7 or 8 I should have gone back to the hospital, but I kept thinking that I'll turn the corner and I didn't. By Day 12, I was really laboring to breathe. I could breathe in and out, my lungs were still working, but the difference was that I felt like I couldn't get relief, I couldn't get oxygen. That was at the point where I [realized] I couldn't play with this, you can't tough this thing out."

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

As a populace we have, but as far as politicians are concerned, we haven't had a left of center president since Carter.

Multiple analyses show this to be true.  It started with Reagan and has been that way for some time.  It's also entirely why people like Bernie have come to the forefront, as a backlash to how far right the country has moved as a whole over the last 40 years.  The dismantling of the middle class as the source of American greatness, only to be replaced by corporate America, is central to the deregulation of the 80s.  

republican-platform-far-right-1561564784

This is where the Democrats and Republicans reside on an objective, political spectrum of Western democracies.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Yes, but also our own.

I answered it for you, Bull. Our country's lurch to the right forced us to rely on globalist institutions rather than our own because the lurch to the right spent DECADES painting America as evil and untrustworthy.... 

Oh. Wait. That's backwards. 

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

I think we've been pushed right as a society for so long that anyone that would normally identify as a moderate conservative (e.g. doesn't believe in Christian Sharia Law, or wild west capitalism) is probably a democrat these days.

Just now, Deranged Rhino said:

I answered it for you, Bull. Our country's lurch to the right forced us to rely on globalist institutions rather than our own because the lurch to the right spent DECADES painting America as evil and untrustworthy.... 

Oh. Wait. That's backwards. 

First true thing I've ever heard you say

4 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Maybe.  But it’s not that easy with the surveillance state they have and the strict laws to adhere to.   I’m not sure what you are suggesting, have the CIA place a plant in one of the Wuhan hospitals after the doctors were silenced by their government?

Can we just stop pointing fingers at the opposing political party and just for a second come to a reasonable conclusion that maybe, just maybe China is largely to blame for this.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

First true thing I've ever heard you say

:lol: :lol: :lol: 

Wait, it's true that America is evil, or that that is a right leaning talking point. Please be specific so we can mock you appropriately. 

Just now, Magox said:

Maybe.  But it’s not that easy with the surveillance state they have and the strict laws to adhere to.   I’m not sure what you are suggesting, have the CIA place a plant in one of the Wuhan hospitals after the doctors were silenced by their government?

Can we just stop pointing fingers at the opposing political party and just for a second come to a reasonable conclusion that maybe, just maybe China is largely to blame for this.

He has ZERO understanding of how the IC operates. Or that it was decimated in China specifically due to China's counter-intelligence efforts (and the gullibility/corruptibility of our leadership). 

• Like (+1) 2

Yes, but also our own.

You are looking to assign blame, but only where you want it to be assigned. It doesn't matter what facts are presented, you will always arrive at the same conclusions. 

Good luck with that....

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, billsfan1959 said:

You are looking to assign blame, but only where you want it to be assigned. It doesn't matter what facts are presented, you will always arrive at the same conclusions. 

Good luck with that....

I want us to accept some accountability. I know these days that comes off as a hard partisan line.

15 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Well this is interesting.  Because when I've pressed you to define what a ball liker is your ran away with your tail between your legs.  Good job.

Oh so you know what he was talking about?  Are you sure?

Oh #2.  It's sammich. 

Sorry I didn’t get back to you with an answer. Probably because I really don’t pay attention to you.

I am sure. 

In regards to #2 (shouldn’t it be #3?) That was a typo. I am on my phone and these eyes don’t catch the difference in this tiny screen like they used to! 

Edited by Q-baby!

I want us to accept some accountability. I know these days that comes off as a hard partisan line.

We should accept accountability -- for relying on globalism and offshoring our Nat Sec. 

But, you don't want to talk about that because you're incapable of it. Your own (piss poor) analysis proves it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

You don't want us to accept some accountability, You want to hold some accountable.

There is a difference

• Like (+1) 1

Once we agree we can accept some responsibility we can look to see who should be accountable. 

Except your actions show that the reverse is true for you:

Once we determine who we want to be held accountable, then let's determine how much responsibility we force them to accept

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Magox said:

I'm suggesting that  Bolton should not have been allowed to fire the US Pandemic Response Team without replacing them, and that the people in charge of our nationally security forces uses their unlimited budgets to differentiate fact from fiction.

The problem with looking at this without pointing fingers, is that one political administration is directly responsible for the fallout.

7 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

You don't want us to accept some accountability, You want to hold some accountable.

There is a difference

Trump destroyed our pandemic infrastructure  - so someone needs to be held accountable. But of course; it is everyone else’s fault:

• Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Capco said:

Multiple analyses show this to be true.  It started with Reagan and has been that way for some time.  It's also entirely why people like Bernie have come to the forefront, as a backlash to how far right the country has moved as a whole over the last 40 years.  The dismantling of the middle class as the source of American greatness, only to be replaced by corporate America, is central to the deregulation of the 80s.  

republican-platform-far-right-1561564784

This is where the Democrats and Republicans reside on an objective, political spectrum of Western democracies.  

Utterly worthless without numbers, facts or any context. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, BillZtime said:

Trump destroyed our pandemic infrastructure  - so someone needs to be held accountable. But of course; it is everyone else’s fault:

As usual, you are a little slow on the uptake. This was hashed out 50 pages or so back in the thread.....

And like every stance you have taken, you are wrong on this one as well.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1