The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

6 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

There was not nearly the sense of urgency in 2008 that there is today when people are dying. It could take weeks for these #######s to get something to do something. 

I don’t believe Pelosi and Schumer really want the market to crash (they have millions on the line as well), but I do think they are concerned of a pro Trump perception. If that’s the case they need to get off their high horses and act like elected officials. 

Yeah there was.  This massive stimulus bill isn't going to suddenly stop the pandemic.  Hopefully it will calm the market a little and give small businesses temporarily relief.   You're going to see far left and far right congressman oppose the bill like you did back then.

Edited by Doc Brown

3 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I find more and more that I'm wondering about the long term ramifications of the current social distancing measures being implemented. For example, teleworking has jumped forward a decade in some fields and business operations are changing as companies are forced to expose antiquated policies are not actually essential, as they've insisted to avoid change. Similar with school. I wonder if there are any long term changes there that come out of this.

There will be long term changes ,but they will be related to the economy. Not “ social distancing” 

14 minutes ago, TPS said:

Cases are down another 14% from previous day. 

3/21  6557

3/22  5560

3/23  4789

This is why you take extreme measures of quarantining, to bring the rate of contagion down.

This is good news

@PaoloBillsFanFromItaly

Thats really good. Second day lower. I usly do 3 days trends for cases and death. Hoping the cases and deaths keeping going down and down.

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I find more and more that I'm wondering about the long term ramifications of the current social distancing measures being implemented. For example, teleworking has jumped forward a decade in some fields and business operations are changing as companies are forced to expose antiquated policies are not actually essential, as they've insisted to avoid change. Similar with school. I wonder if there are any long term changes there that come out of this.

There are endless possibilities both good and harmful to employment. 

3 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

This will bring on society altering changes.  We will see that we do not need teachers on the order of 1 per 30 students or whatever the current standard is.  This will push the implementation of AI forward by two decades.  The legal and medical fields perhaps the most affected.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

There will be long term changes ,but they will be related to the economy. Not “ social distancing” 

Certainly there will be economic effects as well, but the example I just gave is not one of them. It is probably a net negative on profits for company runners, but a major QOL boost for the workers.

3 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

There are endless possibilities both good and harmful to employment. 

This will bring on society altering changes.  We will see that we do not need teachers on the order of 1 per 30 students or whatever the current standard is.  This will push the implementation of AI forward by two decades.  The legal and medical fields perhaps the most affected.

Agreed. I just find it fascinating that some of the farces that have been used to stymie some of this progress are having their hand forced, if you will. The whole, 'oh yeah, that thing I've been insisting couldn't be done is totally possible' bit. It'll be interesting to track and it's nice to focus on some potentially positive outcomes from this thing.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I work for a regional utility in the corporate office - probably 500 employees in the office (another 3K+ in the field).  We've been lobbying for more work-from-home opportunities, with much resistance.  The reasons given were those you'd expect, from 'not feasible that the work could get done the same', to 'lack of accountability', to the argument that others within our own company could not do the same (the field employees).  This is now beginning of week two of our work-from-home situation, and the good news is, the work is still getting done.  I'm hoping this will further weaken the arguments against, and will provide proof that working from home in our office/industry is doable! :)

Edited by TtownBillsFan
originally omitted a word/clarification
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, TPS said:

Cases are down another 14% from previous day. 

3/21  6557

3/22  5560

3/23  4789

This is why you take extreme measures of quarantining, to bring the rate of contagion down.

This is good news

@PaoloBillsFanFromItaly

That's the the effect of the quarantine, 100%. 

We know a long quarantine will work to slow the spread of the virus, but the next step of being able to re-open the economy is critical. If they just re-open too soon, and without testing and tracking, the cases will just pile back up.  

Just now, Doc said:

I wanted to go back to this particular tweet.  Is the person saying that Fauci (DS=dipshit?) doesn't want chloroquine to work?

Fauci showed up in the WikiLeaks email dump praising HRC in 2016. So, the more extreme partisans have taken that to mean that he's a partisan and thus working against Trump. I disagree. But it's a "theory" that some have been trying to push. I just wanted to clarify that I wasn't trying to jump on that train. :beer: 

• Thank you (+1) 1

When humanity beat this. The governments have to be prepared in case other coronavirus family jumping or creating a different one.  There is so many in there family. Like this one jumped into humans before (mutate or whatever reason there is).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_East_respiratory_syndrome-related_coronavirus

Middle East respiratory syndrome-related coronavirus (MERS-CoV),[1] or EMC/2012 (HCoV-EMC/2012), is a species of coronavirus which infects humans, bats, and camels.[2] The infecting virus is an enveloped, positive-sense, single-stranded RNA virus which enters its host cell by binding to the DPP4 receptor.[3] The species is a member of the genus Betacoronavirus and subgenus Merbecovirus.[4][5]

Initially called 2012 novel coronavirus (2012-nCoV) or simply novel coronavirus (nCoV), it was first reported in 2012 after genome sequencing of a virus isolated from sputum samples from a person who fell ill in a 2012 outbreak of a new flu.

As of July 2015, MERS-CoV cases have been reported in over 21 countries, including Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Qatar, Egypt, the United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, Turkey, Oman, Algeria, Bangladesh, Indonesia (none were confirmed), Austria,[6] the United Kingdom, South Korea,[7][8] the United States,[9][10] Mainland China,[11] Thailand,[12] and the Philippines.[13] MERS-CoV is one of several viruses identified by WHO as a likely cause of a future epidemic. They list it for urgent research and development.[14][15]

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan

30 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Fauci showed up in the WikiLeaks email dump praising HRC in 2016. So, the more extreme partisans have taken that to mean that he's a partisan and thus working against Trump. I disagree. But it's a "theory" that some have been trying to push. I just wanted to clarify that I wasn't trying to jump on that train. :beer: 

Fauci is probably not a fan of trump but he seems like the person who values life and wants to succeed over partisanship.

He is not incorrect in saying that the remedy is anecdotal because it hasn’t been tested in a controlled study. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, meazza said:

Fauci is probably not a fan of trump but he seems like the person who values life and wants to succeed over partisanship.

He is not incorrect in saying that the remedy is anecdotal because it hasn’t been tested in a controlled study. 

Trump is an optimist and when faced with numerous individual cases of the drugs success he gets excited. Fauci is a scientist and needs to prove its effectiveness over a large number of people and a great deal of time. Fortunately this drug has been used to fight malaria for over 70 years and the side effects are known. That's why Trump can be right in his statements of "what do you have to lose?" while Fauci can also be right by counseling caution. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4