The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

14 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

I got a prescription for it last Thursday.  They're furloughing the CRNA's so I'll be working at the main hospital.  I'm going to start taking it today.

• Thank you (+1) 5

Trump Derangement Syndrome is Bad for Your Health

by Steven Hayward

Original Article

Senate Democrats shocked everyone Sunday afternoon when they blocked passage of a stimulus plan to try to hold the economy together. Stock market futures immediately plunged to the limit, signaling another dismal day on Wall Street at Monday’s open.

Even the New York Times can’t conceal this churlishness. Note their headline: Senate Democrats block action on a trillion-dollar stimulus plan 

The party-line vote was a stunning setback after three days of fast-paced negotiations between senators and administration officials to reach a bipartisan compromise on legislation that is expected to be the largest economic stimulus package in American history . . .

Are Democrats Refusing to Support $2 Trillion Stimulus Bill Unless It Includes a Bailout forPlanned Parenthood?

by Rick Moran

Original Article

Democrats Block Senate Coronavirus Package

by Sean Moran

Original Article

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, GG said:

This question came up when analysts were discussing the statistics from Italy, and someone suggested that CV-related deaths there could have been overstated by as much as 80%, because of other contributing factors.   One way to ascertain the CV impact is to compare it to a normalized baseline, which would be the death rate in prior years

I don't know if they are being overstated. Italy normaly loses, on average, 1,600-1,800 people per day to all other causes (Between 7,000-8,000 per day in the US). It would be interesting to see comparison figures, by cause (i.e.; influenza, pneumonia, cancer, diabetes, heart disease).

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Not enough hospital beds in New Hampshire? Blame needless regulations

Union Leader [Manchester, NH], by Greg Moore

Original Article

ACROSS the country, state leaders have raised the alarm over the lack of enough beds should the COVID-19 pandemic create a surge in serious and critical cases. They are concerned that they simply won’t have enough hospital beds to care for ill patients and are taking drastic steps to “flatten the curve” – spreading out the timeline of the disease so that the health care system can manage the influx of new cases. This is just as true in New Hampshire as across the country. However, the prime reason we don’t have more hospital beds is not a lack of demand, but government regulation.

Coronavirus: Why Two Weeks Matters

by Melissa Mackenzie

Original Article

6 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I don't know if they are being overstated. Italy normaly loses, on average, 1,600-1,800 people per day to all other causes (Between 7,000-8,000 per day in the US). It would be interesting to see comparison figures, by cause (i.e.; influenza, pneumonia, cancer, diabetes, heart disease).

I believe what GG is referring to is simply what is the variance from the norm. Not saying anything is overstated, but this type of view would provide at least a directional idea of incremental deaths due to Covid-19 versus an expectation. It would also reduce the bias that we’re seeing in the data caused by different recording/classification criteria by country/state.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

Is it claimed to keep you from getting it?

Doc, on this very site is I believe an anesthesiologist in CT, posted today that his hospital was issuing Hydroxychloquine to staff as a preventive measure.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, 3rdnlng said:

Doc, on this very site is I believe an anesthesiologist in CT, posted today that his hospital was issuing Hydroxychloquine to staff as a preventive measure.

The turtle rarely yells -- but he's close to screaming on the floor of the Senate right now talking about the bill. 

• Like (+1) 2