The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

6 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

States’ rights have nothing to do with federal “support[]” (my word) for mask use.  Trump undermined the CDC until recently and refused to wear a mask.  So it was good that the CDC had its act together.  It’s bad that Trump didn’t and doesn’t.  Our economy, our health, and our sense of American superiority have suffered because of it. 

Poppycock.  The CDC pushed its recommendation to all the states and to the public at large.  Each Governor has issued executive orders for their states including many mandating mask use in public places. 

As for Trump, I'm not a fan of "do as I say and not as I do" leadership but in his case he's been tested every day for months.  An executive privilege.  He's not a risk to others.  He's also not the only Executive to not wear masks publicly.  Cuomo and Pritzker immediately come to mind and many many others.  

Biden on the other hand who is probably also tested frequently has made presentations on camera in an empty room with a mask on which leads to the question:  "What the ***** is he doing wearing a mask all by himself in and empty room?"  He's like the person walking their dog all alone on an empty sidewalk wearing a mask.  Dumb. 

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/05/masks-symbolic-say-dr-fauci-new-england-journal-medicine/

In the past week, Dr. Anthony Fauci and the New England Journal of Medicine have admitted that masks are little more than symbols. Virtue signaling.

Advertisement - story continues below

For those of you who shout “science” like it’s a Tourette tick, this is from the New England Journal of Medicine on May 21, 2020:

We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection. Public health authorities define a significant exposure to Covid-19 as face-to-face contact within 6 feet with a patient with symptomatic Covid-19 that is sustained for at least a few minutes (and some say more than 10 minutes or even 30 minutes). The chance of catching Covid-19 from a passing interaction in a public space is therefore minimal. In many cases, the desire for widespread masking is a reflexive reaction to anxiety over the pandemic.

00:0001:22

TRENDING: These People Are Nuts: Broward County Officials Now Require Citizens Wear Masks WITHIN THEIR OWN HOMES

So, why are we ordered to wear masks? Symbolism. From the same article in NEJM:

It is also clear that masks serve symbolic roles. Masks are not only tools, they are also talismans that may help increase health care workers’ perceived sense of safety, well-being, and trust in their hospitals.

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

Poppycock.  The CDC pushed its recommendation to all the states and to the public at large.  Each Governor has issued executive orders for their states including many mandating mask use in public places. 

As for Trump, I'm not a fan of "do as I say and not as I do" leadership but in his case he's been tested every day for months.  An executive privilege.  He's not a risk to others.  He's also not the only Executive to not wear masks publicly.  Cuomo and Pritzker immediately come to mind and many many others.  

Biden on the other hand who is probably also tested frequently has made presentations on camera in an empty room with a mask on which leads to the question:  "What the ***** is he doing wearing a mask all by himself in and empty room?"  He's like the person walking their dog all alone on an empty sidewalk wearing a mask.  Dumb. 

Whether he wants to be or not, he’s also, you know, the leader. Perhaps he should also, you know, have lead by example instead of standing idly by as mask use became a political cleave.  

14 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/05/masks-symbolic-say-dr-fauci-new-england-journal-medicine/

In the past week, Dr. Anthony Fauci and the New England Journal of Medicine have admitted that masks are little more than symbols. Virtue signaling.

For those of you who shout “science” like it’s a Tourette tick, this is from the New England Journal of Medicine on May 21, 2020:

We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection. Public health authorities define a significant exposure to Covid-19 as face-to-face contact within 6 feet with a patient with symptomatic Covid-19 that is sustained for at least a few minutes (and some say more than 10 minutes or even 30 minutes). The chance of catching Covid-19 from a passing interaction in a public space is therefore minimal. In many cases, the desire for widespread masking is a reflexive reaction to anxiety over the pandemic.

00:0001:22

TRENDING: These People Are Nuts: Broward County Officials Now Require Citizens Wear Masks WITHIN THEIR OWN HOMES

So, why are we ordered to wear masks? Symbolism. From the same article in NEJM:

It is also clear that masks serve symbolic roles. Masks are not only tools, they are also talismans that may help increase health care workers’ perceived sense of safety, well-being, and trust in their hospitals.

Another day, another nonsense post from alt-right ideologue Third n’ Whatever.  Here’s the truth: 

“We are not defenseless against COVID-19,” said CDC Director Dr. Robert R. Redfield. “Cloth face coverings are one of the most powerful weapons we have to slow and stop the spread of the virus – particularly when used universally within a community setting. All Americans have a responsibility to protect themselves, their families, and their communities.”

That nugget (uncomfortable only to the alt-wrong) comes from this July 14, 2020 CDC press release: https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/p0714-americans-to-wear-masks.html

The average American wouldn't recognize real, actual science and the method that defines it if it bit them in the ass repeatedly. This pandemic is exposing, once again,  how awful basic science education has been in this country for decades.

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I am not sure if it is just poorly worded, but yeah, the EO wants people to wear masks in their home.

(apologies if previously posted)

Without seeing the details of the other "Broward County emergency orders" not sure what situations would call for the mask in a person's own home.  Though on the surface, that does seem ridiculously onerous.

But would expect it to be as ridiculous as it seems at 1st blush as this is one of the 2 counties that were so bad at counting votes 20 years ago EVERYBODY ELSE had to get new voting machines.  (Presumably to mitigate the possibility somebody from Broward or Dade county might move elsewhere and spread their ineptness. :doh: )

Trump up...

● Advance the next economic relief package
● Both sides want to get it done (phase 4)
● Will shield the vulnerable
● Vaccine is coming

Trump:

● Supporting the governors 100%
● Median age is 76 (I think he said that, I got distracted)
● Many have an additional condition
● Asking people who cannot social distance to wear a mask :censored:
● 99.96% fatalities are in adults
● Have treatments that reduce the severity of the disease (more coming)
● Something about high flow oxygen and steroids (and now on to ventilators)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

People do not need to wear facemask in there home lol.

...if they WANT to, so be it....here's an over the top case with one of my employees....I can't tell him "no", right?.......

here's an ultra paranoia case involving one of my employees (HIS prerogative)......age 35 and paranoid because "people my age are having strokes from Covid-19(um ok)"......he is in Admin and my offices are 12,000 sq. ft for 30 employees or 400 sq. ft per.....cubicles are 10x12 or 120 sq ft.....we are social distancing with sanitation stations throughout(I paid 5 grand to have offices sanitized for employee peace of mind despite NO cases) and mask requirements in public areas.....he drives to work alone wearing a mask.....he is in his cubicle 8 hours a day wearing a mask.....he leaves his cubicle daily at 10AM, noon, and 2PM for smoke breaks and lunch, opening doors with his elbow or knee......he wears his mask outside for smoke breaks and is at least 10' away from fellow smokers..... his girlfriend has been working remotely since the Covid-19 onset and had not gone outside until two weeks ago when her parents came into town for a visit....NOT EVEN OUTSIDE......he refused to go see them because he couldn't "take their word as to where they had been"....

• Like (+1) 1

Trump:

● Average age lower
● Hospital stays are about half of April
● Mortality rate of those admitted to the hospital is half of April
● He keeps reiterating how much has been learned.

*Note: all paraphrased

Trump:

● Successfully identifying more asymptomatic cases
● We have conducted more than 3x the tests anyone else
● Closing in on 50M tests
● Working to reduce turnaround time on tests
● They are focusing on the sunbelt right now as they are being hardest hit at the moment
● Currently 0 unfulfilled governor requests - they are stocked up and ready to go
● Naming the military numbers helping in various areas

Note: paraphrased

• Thank you (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Trump:

● Remdesivir is being used earlier as it works better the earlier it is used.
● Case fatality rate continues to decline (chart went up)

*Note: everything is paraphrased. Watch the presser for exact words.

Wait.  Is it just Trump?

Trump:

● Permanent shutdown was never an option.
● The initial shutdown saved XX lives, but .... (I missed the rest)
● Employ vigorous hand washing
● Asking young people to not pack bars
● Something about new nursing home recommendations in the south

note: paraphrased