The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

your stat, show the link that points to the evidence that deaths have been even this year. Or, did ya just happen to pull it out yer rear?

Dude relax. In a typical year its a fact that we lose roughly 8,000 Americans per day in the early spring months of March, April and May. The VAST MAJORITY of those deaths are old people (something like 85% of them). That works out to 750,000 deaths over the period of the current pandemic....and that’s WITHOUT a pandemic. What stat do you need to see?

40 minutes ago, Nanker said:

Yes. No one is allowed to die in America unless it’s from the Wuhan virus. #STRONGGOVERNORSPROTECTINGTHEPEOPLEFROMTHEMSELVES

Last time you were this outraged was when you said ONLY 11 PEOPLE DIED FROM COVID YESTERDAY!!!!!!!11!!!!!!1!!!!!!!!!!!EVLVENTYONE!!!!!!11!!!!!

Just now, SectionC3 said:

Seriously.  My understanding is that there is a 30% uptick in deaths this spring over last. 

There is an uptick. Deek is a moron.

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Dude relax. In a typical year its a fact that we lose roughly 8,000 Americans per day in the early spring months of March, April and May. The VAST MAJORITY of those deaths are old people (something like 85% of them). That works out to 750,000 deaths over the period of the current pandemic....and that’s WITHOUT a pandemic. What stat do you need to see?

something that confirms those numbers..its what we do here at PPP i am told...

I say it's  a fact..deaths are up by 400K during the pandameric period..fact! 

See how that works?

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I believe he's reacting to your implication that had the COVID-19 virus not killed them that something else would have:

"There hasn’t been an uptick in deaths in America. What we’ve witnessed is old people dying of Covid 19 instead of what they’d otherwise have died from."

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Still no statistic.  I'm leaning toward the "rear" explanation for your point. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Azalin said:

I believe he's reacting to your implication that had the COVID-19 virus not killed them that something else would have:

"There hasn’t been an uptick in deaths in America. What we’ve witnessed is old people dying of Covid 19 instead of what they’d otherwise have died from."

and, his stat may be correct, and it would be an quite a compelling stat , but it has to be correct. 

My "thought", and only a thought, is deaths are UP during this time, not only due to the virus, but also standard medical care being put off. Having said that, if you do factor in average stay in nursing home is 5 1/2 months, the folks that died in nursing homes statistically would have died of something else in the next 6 months or so..but that is only nursing home deaths.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

and, his stat may be correct, and it would be an quite a compelling stat , but it has to be correct. 

My "thought", and only a thought, is deaths are UP during this time, not only due to the virus, but also standard medical care being put off. Having said that, if you do factor in average stay in nursing home is 5 1/2 months, the folks that died in nursing homes statistically would have died of something else in the next 6 months or so..but that is only nursing home deaths.

Right as rain. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Warren Zevon said:

Last time you were this outraged was when you said ONLY 11 PEOPLE DIED FROM COVID YESTERDAY!!!!!!!11!!!!!!1!!!!!!!!!!!EVLVENTYONE!!!!!!11!!!!!

There is an uptick. Deek is a moron.

He plead guilty. 

Year    Month    Number of Deaths
2019    March    253,000
2019    February 232,000
2019    January    257,000

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/provisional-tables.htm

Note: Provisional death counts are based on death certificate data received and coded by the National Center for Health Statistics as of May 12, 2020.

Daily updates of totals by week and state

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/COVID19/

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:
1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

There hasn’t been an uptick in deaths in America. What we’ve witnessed is old people dying of Covid 19 instead of what they’d otherwise have died from. (And even that number would be WAY down if NYS hadn’t made the unexplainable unforced error of placing Covid patients in nursing homes.)

please show evidence of that stat

It's on the CDC website everyone is using. Here is their chart, I swapped around the totals to the bottom, and highlight it to make it easier for you to understand:

image.thumb.png.5d93cce674666c89c11166ee70a39e1c.png

The only "uptick" in Covid deaths was for a 4 week period 3/28 to 4/18. However the average deaths over the last 2 months is only 97% of what was expected. 

So simply put, the argument can be made that even with Covid19 we are still below a "normal" death rate.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Male coronavirus patients with low testosterone levels are MORE likely to die from COVID-19, German hospital finds

• German hospital assessed the hormone levels of 45 COVID-19 patients in ICU
  • Found that the vast majority of men admitted had low testosterone levels  
  • Testosterone may be able to stop the body's immune system from going haywire 
  • Low levels of the sex hormone are unable to regulate the body's immune response, leading to a 'cytokine storm' which can be fatal  
  • Here’s how to help people impacted by Covid-19

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-8312771/Male-coronavirus-patients-low-testosterone-levels-likely-die-COVID-19.html

If you are a guy who looks to Trump for manly guidance, which they do, this report should worry them. 

•  
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Warren Zevon said:

Ask Deek - it's his term

But you called him a moron for saying there had not been an uptick. You said, and I quote, “there has been an uptick”.  So what is considered an uptick?  .5%? 5%? 50%? 

19 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-8312771/Male-coronavirus-patients-low-testosterone-levels-likely-die-COVID-19.html

If you are a guy who looks to Trump for manly guidance, which they do, this report should worry them. 

•  

Pandemic!

BEST

THING

EVER!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Cinga said:

It's on the CDC website everyone is using. Here is their chart, I swapped around the totals to the bottom, and highlight it to make it easier for you to understand:

The only "uptick" in Covid deaths was for a 4 week period 3/28 to 4/18. However the average deaths over the last 2 months is only 97% of what was expected. 

So simply put, the argument can be made that even with Covid19 we are still below a "normal" death rate.

It's stunning that deaths are more or less level in spite of the shutdown (and it's due to Covid I expect).

You would expect a shutdown would drive total deaths WAAAAAY down. 

Edited by shoshin
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, shoshin said:

It's stunning that deaths are more or less level in spite of the shutdown (and it's due to Covid I expect).

You would expect a shutdown would drive total deaths WAAAAAY down. 

yea, need to understand that chart more, but thank you for posting @Cinga.

If you look at week ending 05/09...23% of expected deaths, so that is pretty dramatic...

Edited by plenzmd1

52 minutes ago, Cinga said:

And that doesn't even take into account the shut down related deaths.  Suicides, heart and cancer patients not getting care, etc.

And I saw this in regards to nursing homes strategy.  If they can continue to do this, it will help tremendously.

Vice President Mike Pence made a nationwide call for coronavirus testing in America's 15,000 nursing homes, telling governors that he wants to see every state prioritize COVID-19 screening inside the facilities that have been hit the hardest by the new coronavirus.

"I want to say what we're urging with regard to nursing home testing is ... let's just get everybody in the homes everybody on the staff, let's get them tested," Pence said Monday.

Pence said the intense focus on nursing homes may stand as the nation's best chance to reduce the death toll from the outbreak, which has been highest in the long-term care centers that house some of the most vulnerable Americans.

Dr. Deborah Birx, one of the senior health officials helping guide the nation's response to the pandemic, said she believes "all one million nursing home residents," as well as staff, need to be tested within the next two weeks.

• Like (+1) 5