The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

5 minutes ago, GG said:

Testing alone would not have slowed the spread.  Contrary to the taglines, SK didn't halt the spread through testing.  They did it by practicing their usual customs during viral outbreaks. 

Testing is a lagging indicator.

Correct. I think everyone slept through all of their statistics class....and most of fifth grade math too!

Is the current argument about not enough tests? (not true) Or that tests do not do much other than show if you are positive today? Or that we need more antibody tests in order to determine if people have had the Wuhan virus, and will be protected against getting it again for an unknown amount of time?

I am unclear about what argument is being rehashed this morning. ?

1 minute ago, shoshin said:

I'm not sure what you think I think, but testing identifies areas of outbreak and particularly severity BEFORE the outbreak gets out of control. Testing and contract tracing lets us stay ahead of this once we get it to some semblance of control for health care workers. So testing is pretty damn important. 

The US went into a virtual lock down almost TWO MONTHS AGO! What we’ve learned is that there’s very little we still know about how this particular virus spreads. The testing story is a nothing burger. You cannot test everybody everyday forever. What they need to do is look back at the huge amount of data we now have and make policies with that data as a guide.

9 minutes ago, GG said:

Testing alone would not have slowed the spread.  Contrary to the taglines, SK didn't halt the spread through testing.  They did it by practicing their usual customs during viral outbreaks. 

What SK did was test like crazy and contact trace, lessons learned when they had the SARS outbreak. Testing of course helped them get on top of this quickly. To think otherwise is just wrong. 

We couldn't get ahead of the outbreak because we lacked testing and testing protocol, and also didn't do very much in February to monitor the outbreak. That's not blaming Trump, but our response at the federal and state level. 

9 minutes ago, GG said:

Testing is a lagging indicator.

Not once you get ahead of the virus. Testing is a leading indicator to control outbreaks. 

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

You cannot test everybody everyday forever.

The man you're arguing with is made of straw.

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Is the current argument about not enough tests? (not true) Or that tests do not do much other than show if you are positive today? Or that we need more antibody tests in order to determine if people have had the Wuhan virus, and will be protected against getting it again for an unknown amount of time?

I am unclear about what argument is being rehashed this morning. ?

This morning’s argument is about some people trying desperately to keep the Covid 19 story alive forever. This is not the new normal. There’s little chance of most Americans dying from this virus. It’s time to get on with our lives!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

This morning’s argument is about some people trying desperately to keep the Covid 19 story alive forever.

It's still slightly in the news.

There’s little chance of most Americans dying from this virus. It’s time to get on with our lives!

We need to get back our economy priority 1, but there will be a new normal in a lot of ways, and one of those ways is taking steps to make sure this shutdown is a one time thing and we don't get spikes in cases that overwhelm health systems. 

Edited by shoshin

12 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

So to recap, you don't blindly take Trump or Pence's word as fact, however...

...you're okay with Cuomo, who lost his skull about not having any equipment, only to have Oregon send him a bunch, right before he found a warehouse full of equipment to the extent that he was able to send extra equipment to...wait for it...Maryland and Michigan.

Trump/Pence bad. Cuomo good.

Got it.

If I may preface what I am about to say, I am one of the biggest critics and detractors of the Governors of NYS. 

Sugar Nipples was going on flawed information put out to the states by the Coronavirus Task Force. It was compiled by a few different sources, namely WHO, IHME, Bill and Linda Gates Foundation, CDC, etc. So, really, nobody,  not the Federal Government,  not the States, not ANY private sector think tanks or medical groups, were right on the rate of hospitalization. Not one of those firms/companies/organizations took into account the profound impact of social distancing and the rate of compliance among the population with the stay at home orders.

Let's take it easy on blaming the politicians and put the blame where it really belongs. Blame China, and certainly blame the WHO.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Americans are smart.    They see it happening.

Beware of coronavirus mission creep

Original Article

As leaders prepared the public for what would turn into widespread shutdowns of business and leisure activities, they made it abundantly clear that the point was to “flatten the curve” of growth in coronavirus cases. That is, when it was clear that the virus could not be contained, the strategy shifted to an effort to space out inevitable infections over a longer period, so there were as few cases as possible at the peak. The idea was to prevent the number of cases from exceeding the capacity of the hospital system and thus saving the system from collapse.

More at the link:

• Thank you (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, shoshin said:

What SK did was test like crazy and contact trace, lessons learned when they had the SARS outbreak. Testing of course helped them get on top of this quickly. To think otherwise is just wrong. 

We couldn't get ahead of the outbreak because we lacked testing and testing protocol, and also didn't do very much in February to monitor the outbreak. That's not blaming Trump, but our response at the federal and state level. 

Not once you get ahead of the virus. Testing is a leading indicator to control outbreaks. 

The man you're arguing with is made of straw.

Not when it comes from a novel virus that spreads quickly and for which tests either don't exist yet or don't provide instant results with +90% certainty.  

Nobody had that in place in January, not SK, not Singapore, etc.   The Asian countries slowed the spread by practicing their cultural norms.

11 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Americans are smart.    They see it happening.

Beware of coronavirus mission creep

Original Article

As leaders prepared the public for what would turn into widespread shutdowns of business and leisure activities, they made it abundantly clear that the point was to “flatten the curve” of growth in coronavirus cases. That is, when it was clear that the virus could not be contained, the strategy shifted to an effort to space out inevitable infections over a longer period, so there were as few cases as possible at the peak. The idea was to prevent the number of cases from exceeding the capacity of the hospital system and thus saving the system from collapse.

More at the link:

Governor Blackface's health commissioner wants to stay in Phase 1 for TWO F*CKING YEARS? What reality is he residing in?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Thanks...I was rounding.
Testing does not do what you, and many others, think it does. There’s no cure for this particular virus. If anything, our ever increasing testing count is PROVING that this virus is far LESS deadly than everyone proclaimed it was. In fact, what we’re learning is that if you are under 60 years old you have almost ZERO chance of dying from Covid 19. 

in that case... I say test everyone!

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

Do all you lawyers take a class on how to deflect? I certainly wasn't copying you, I was correcting you. 

Hoax.  You copied me insofar as you tried to make a list.  That is why you’re on the hoax list. And the sheep list. 

43 minutes ago, shoshin said:

It's still slightly in the news.

We need to get back our economy priority 1, but there will be a new normal in a lot of ways, and one of those ways is taking steps to make sure this shutdown is a one time thing and we don't get spikes in cases that overwhelm health systems. 

Thank you w/r/t the last comment.  We’ve come a long way together.  I get that this sucks for a lot of people, and I get that it sucks more for a lot of people than it does for me.  But if we jump the gun on reopening we risk wasting all of the sacrifices that have been made to date.  

Edited by SectionC3

U.S. intelligence agencies issued warnings about the novel coronavirus in more than a dozen classified briefings prepared for President Trump in January and February, months during which he continued to play down the threat, according to current and former U.S. officials.
The repeated warnings were conveyed in issues of the President’s Daily Brief, a sensitive report that is produced before dawn each day and designed to call the president’s attention to the most significant global developments and security threats.

37 minutes ago, GG said:

Not when it comes from a novel virus that spreads quickly and for which tests either don't exist yet or don't provide instant results with +90% certainty.  

Nobody had that in place in January, not SK, not Singapore, etc.   The Asian countries slowed the spread by practicing their cultural norms.

Since Korea got its first confirmed case in late Jan (same day as the US), of course they weren't testing in January. Korea was testing widely in February, when it could still put a lid on this. By the end of February, with a population ~1/6 of the US, Korea had conducted 98K tests to the US 3K. 

You're kidding yourself if you don't think that their testing and tracing regimen didn't make a difference. It absolutely did. 

Edited by shoshin

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:
U.S. intelligence agencies issued warnings about the novel coronavirus in more than a dozen classified briefings prepared for President Trump in January and February, months during which he continued to play down the threat, according to current and former U.S. officials.
The repeated warnings were conveyed in issues of the President’s Daily Brief, a sensitive report that is produced before dawn each day and designed to call the president’s attention to the most significant global developments and security threats.

Trump knew in November.

10 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Thank you w/r/t the last comment.  We’ve come a long way together.  I get that this sucks for a lot of people, and I get that it sucks more for a lot of people than it does for me.  But if we jump the gun on reopening we risk wasting all of the sacrifices that have been made to date.  

I agree that if we reopen too soon, we risk the gains we made to get this under control, but we can't stay closed and what we have now is a disease for two groups of the population:

Group 1) Older people and people with health issues like hypertension, obesity (most of America), breathing issues, heart disease

Group 2) The rest

Group 2 is at a negligible risk. There are dog-bites-man stories about group 2 that are heartbreaking but they are the exception we remember, not the norm in any way. We should let group 2 get back to work and dedicate time and resources to helping group 1, who really need it. 

Edited by shoshin