The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

Good Morning from California!

We've been wearing masks religiously since April.

We have lots and lots of Covid deaths.

While I’m 100% certain that wearing masks is better than not wearing masks. (It pretty much would have to be.) It is NOT a solution to this problem. California, with a population of 40,000,000 is proof that it only serves to take the edge off the spread. People are still catching the virus by the THOUSANDS here day, after day, after day, after day. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Good Morning from California!

We've been wearing masks religiously since April.

We have lots and lots of Covid deaths.

While I’m 100% certain that wearing masks is better than not wearing masks. (It pretty much would have to be.) It is NOT a solution to this problem. California, with a population of 40,000,000 is proof that it only serves to take the edge off the spread. People are still catching the virus by the THOUSANDS here day, after day, after day, after day. 

Yup. Masks, distancing smartly, keeping people's other health in good working order--this is about all we can currently do to help get through this. 

Keep the economy as open as we can and if people don't want to partake in something, let them. 

The biggest crime in this remains the schools. If schools were all open, 75% of the mental health pain, I believe, would go away. I'm 50: Cheat me out of some pleasures in a pandemic and I can deal with it. But don't do it to my kids, our kids. 

2 minutes ago, Kemp said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-election/eric-trump-coronavirus-us-election-biden-rally-democrats-a9518981.html

The Trump family told us that the virus would disappear the day after the election. I doubted it, then, but I guess they were right.

:oops:

I think you missed the point. I believe you’ll see the COVERAGE of the virus change after Biden is sworn in. We’ll see if I’m right. If not, Joe is going to have some interesting explaining to do. 

5 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I think you missed the point. I believe you’ll see the COVERAGE of the virus change after Biden is sworn in. We’ll see if I’m right. If not, Joe is going to have some interesting explaining to do. 

If you believe coverage of the virus is dependent on Trump being in office, I think you're nuts.

16 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Of course it's going to change.

If you go from one guy who has mostly pretended the virus doesn't exist, and hasn't done anything about it or attended any COVID meetings for months to a guy who will likely make it his biggest priority, obviously the way it's covered will change.

COVID coverage isn't extremely negative just for the sake of it. It's extremely negative because the Federal Government gave up trying to help the situation 6 months ago. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I call goalpost move on this. It was supposed to disappear on November 4. That's passed and guess what: The virus is still a big problem. 

The virus will most assuredly start to become less of a story early in Biden's term. Vaccines plus end to winter will make getting the US economy back on track the main story by summer. 

1 minute ago, shoshin said:

I call goalpost move on this. It was supposed to disappear on November 4. That's passed and guess what: The virus is still a big problem. 

The virus will most assuredly start to become less of a story early in Biden's term. Vaccines plus end to winter will make getting the US economy back on track the main story by summer. 

Okie Dokie

Its all perception then. The vaccine is the only thing that’s going to dramatically change any of this. Those anti-Trump folks will be the first ones to claim Biden solved it when the vaccine the Trump administration worked on speeding the development of is rolled out. It’s much the same as all political topics. The next administration always takes credit for the positives of the last administration and blames them for the negatives. This is true for both parties. But to say Trump hadn’t done anything is pure partisan nonsense!

5 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Of course it's going to change.

If you go from one guy who has mostly pretended the virus doesn't exist, and hasn't done anything about it or attended any COVID meetings for months to a guy who will likely make it his biggest priority, obviously the way it's covered will change.

COVID coverage isn't extremely negative just for the sake of it. It's extremely negative because the Federal Government gave up trying to help the situation 6 months ago. 

the states make their own decisions when it comes to the virus.  the feds are concernced with getting the vaccine out and giving the states help when needed.  

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

And that strategy clearly isn't working...

yes because this is one of the most contagious viruses we've ever seen and you're learning that the only hope we've ever had against it is getting a vaccine.  lockdowns across the world have slowed it some but won't stop it.   

1 minute ago, aristocrat said:

the states make their own decisions when it comes to the virus.  the feds are concernced with getting the vaccine out and giving the states help when needed.  

You’ve correctly summarized the modern American struggle. The left interprets the State to mean the Federal Government imposing policies across the entire country. The right believes that authority should be vested and wielded more locally. In a nutshell. And this core debate applies to way more than Covid 19. It’s at the core of just about everything.

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Okie Dokie

Its all perception then. The vaccine is the only thing that’s going to dramatically change any of this. Those anti-Trump folks will be the first ones to claim Biden solved it when the vaccine the Trump administration worked on speeding the development of is rolled out. It’s much the same as all political topics. The next administration always takes credit for the positives of the last administration and blames them for the negatives. This is true for both parties. But to say Trump hadn’t done anything is pure partisan nonsense!

Trump did the things he needed to help fund vaccine research for sure. And Biden when Biden credited the companies and workers on Monday, Trump credited Trump (of course). 

Leadership and building unity around getting through this...no one will credit Trump for that. It was clear early on that we could have easily made this America vs. Virus and if he'd done that and messaged togetherness around that (if he had any credibility on talking about America for all of us), he would have won easily. But that has never been his approach and by the time we got to March 2019, he wasn't about to change his tune. 

The vaccine and warmer weather will change the death counts and hospital rates. Political party doesn't matter. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

yes because this is one of the most contagious viruses we've ever seen and you're learning that the only hope we've ever had against it is getting a vaccine.  lockdowns across the world have slowed it some but won't stop it.   

Right, but the US is doing as bad as any country in the developed world.

The point is that other countries have been doing better. 

5 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

You’ve correctly summarized the modern American struggle. The left interprets the State to mean the Federal Government imposing policies across the entire country. The right believes that authority should be vested and wielded more locally. In a nutshell. And this core debate applies to way more than Covid 19. It’s at the core of just about everything.

Again, the issue is that local governments can't adequately fight a global pandemic.

They don't have the resources or local expertise needed.

When a war starts, or a global pandemic is going on, this is the whole reason you have a federal government.

When WW2 started and Pearle Harbour was bombed, FDR didn't leave it up to the states to fight the war individually. 

You have a Federal Government to deal with a crisis like this. Leaving it up to the states made no sense whatsoever. 

Edited by jrober38
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

You're having a federalist vs. anti-federalist discussion, one that Washington/Hamilton/Adams/Lincoln mostly have won and Jefferson/Madison et al for the most part lost a long time ago. There is some interesting argument to be had on it and what's left of the 10th amendment but the Republicans believe in federalism when it suits them and the Dems are anti-federalist when it suits them. No party claims to bathe in ideological purity when it comes to federal/anti-federal. 

4 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Again, the issue is that local governments can't adequately fight a global pandemic.

When a war starts, or a global pandemic is going on, this is the whole reason you have a federal government.

When WW2 started and Pearle Harbour was bombed, FDR didn't leave it up to the states to fight the war individually. 

You have a Federal Government to deal with a crisis like this. Leaving it up to the states made no sense whatsoever. 

those two examples are polar opposites.  cities fight the virus differently than rural counties.  in war you normally have one enemy in a handful of locations. this virus is in every tiny town or city in america.  you have to let local leaders fight it.  

4 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Some. Deaths per capita. 

image.thumb.png.dc788e190f38584db9d2c80c82b7f74b.png

Just now, aristocrat said:

those two examples are polar opposites.  cities fight the virus differently than rural counties.  in war you normally have one enemy in a handful of locations. this virus is in every tiny town or city in america.  you have to let local leaders fight it.  

A national strategy on the virus makes the most sense. Dispatch the vaccine to the hottest spots, for application to those most at risk and/or most necessary to keep the country running. Nursing homes before pre-schools, doctors before teachers, teachers before lawyers, etc. 

To think that state governments have the expertise on vaccine distribution in a pandemic is naive. That's why the Trump administration has enlisted the Army to help with logistics of delivery, and hopefully those delivery logistics include more than just getting doses out in equal shares to North Dakota and California. 

4 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

I'm pretty sure the virus is the enemy and fighting a war globally is just as challenging as fighting a pandemic only in the US. 

This is the whole reason you have a federal government. 

The outcome and goals in fighting both is essentially the exact same thing. 

Edited by jrober38

8 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Some. Deaths per capita. 

image.thumb.png.dc788e190f38584db9d2c80c82b7f74b.png

A national strategy on the virus makes the most sense. Dispatch the vaccine to the hottest spots, for application to those most at risk and/or most necessary to keep the country running. Nursing homes before pre-schools, doctors before teachers, teachers before lawyers, etc. 

To think that state governments have the expertise on vaccine distribution in a pandemic is naive. That's why the Trump administration has enlisted the Army to help with logistics of delivery, and hopefully those delivery logistics include more than just getting doses out in equal shares to North Dakota and California. 

yes that's why i brought up the feds and the vaccine. 

5 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I'm pretty sure the virus is the enemy and fighting a war globally is just as challenging as fighting a pandemic only in the US. 

This is the whole reason you have a federal government. 

The outcome and goals in fighting both is essentially the exact same thing. 

jesus. the virus is hitting us at home in every part of the us. its more like rampant crime and you need local police to get it in line not the military. 

5 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

jesus. the virus is hitting us at home in every part of the us. its more like rampant crime and you need local police to get it in line not the military. 

Again, this is what they're doing and it's clearly not working, so continuing to say that that's what is needed makes little to no sense. 

To put it plainly, the local effort is NOT working.

Maybe it's time to try something different.

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

Again, this is what they're doing and it's clearly not working, so continuing to say that that's what is needed makes little to no sense. 

the only thing that is going to work is a vaccine.  you have to come to realize that.  its why they always said to try and flatten the curve not eliminate the virus. 

Just now, aristocrat said:

the only thing that is going to work is a vaccine.  you have to come to realize that.  its why they always said to try and flatten the curve not eliminate the virus. 

At this point, you're probably right, but I think the real missed opportunity was back in March.

If instead of downplaying the virus, Trump had issued a message of unity and everyone pulling together to get cases down low enough so that they could contact trace, that it could have been nipped in the bud before it ever became a national problem.

Some really smart people suggested a 4 week mandatory stay at home order for the whole country in mid-March. If they'd done that and maintained a nearly closed border that the virus would have been gone by May and Trump would have won maybe the biggest landslide in the past 60 years. 

Just my two cents. 

• Like (+1) 1

NT Times:

"Listen Team Blue....I know it looks like nothing we said we must do works, but look at our fake data.....the cases are really bad where they didn't listen to us."

I'm sorry.  Did Pennsylvania, Illinois, and Michigan loosen all 500,000 of their restrictions and mandates?  

Enemy of the people:

Screenshot_20201119-095727_Chrome.jpg

20 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

There is not much to do. The virus is virus-ing. The thing that Trump is incapable of is uniting people in spirit. And the Dems do no better with stupid crap like mask-posturing. Just talk up how it's a small part of the overall effort and you aren't macho not wearing a mask. 

20 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

At this point, you're probably right, but I think the real missed opportunity was back in March.

If instead of downplaying the virus, Trump had issued a message of unity and everyone pulling together to get cases down low enough so that they could contact trace, that it could have been nipped in the bud before it ever became a national problem.

Some really smart people suggested a 4 week mandatory stay at home order for the whole country in mid-March. If they'd done that and maintained a nearly closed border that the virus would have been gone by May and Trump would have won maybe the biggest landslide in the past 60 years. 

Just my two cents. 

We were never going to be Korea. 

This pandemic should lead to better education of politicians and citizens for next time, but given the push back of "I want to be me, I'm American" this time around, the idea that we'd have ever achieved what Korea did was impossible in 2020 with our current leadership (not just Trump). The post-mortem of this will lay blame on Obama, Trump, Cuomo, Desantis and plenty of others. As a country, as a citizenry, we were caught with our pants down. 

59 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Just my two cents. 

Oh brother!

You’re living in a fantasy land! 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TBBills said:

Wrong, like I said if you get it and it's bad just do the country a favor and die alone. The hospitals are overworked. No biggie no need to wear a mask just get the virus and if it happens to be very bad for you make sure you don't go to the hospital.

Lol hell bent... He wants an answer I gave him a reasonable answer. Your extremisms are funny though.

So you're telling me the big conventions without masks, no mask protests... Didn't help? Oh yes b.c Trump would look bad so it must be fake lol.

You should hide in your house. This will guarantee  you don’t get this Chinese Plague.
Cover your entire head with plastic wrap as well. Combined with not seeing anyone, ever, you are doing your part. Stop being so selfish.  I will allow you, however, to continue posting nonsense from your basement. 

Just now, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Those folks should be voted out.

To all still continuing to question masks and Covid responses and on and on:

How many more deaths will convince you?

How many people dying are you OK with?

How many more reports of hospitals being close to the breaking point will convince you? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jrober38 said:

Multivariate analysis is the reason why some countries do better than others. 
For the binary mind of the Anti-Trumpers, it’s only one variable - OrangeManBad. 

35 minutes ago, Bakin said:

You should hide in your house. This will guarantee  you don’t get this Chinese Plague.
Cover your entire head with plastic wrap as well. Combined with not seeing anyone, ever, you are doing your part. Stop being so selfish.  I will allow you, however, to continue posting nonsense from your basement. 

There we go was waiting for the bull####. Basement dwellers are on the other site, I suggest you head over there... Your garbage doesn't work here.

Edited by TBBills

1 hour ago, jrober38 said:

Just my two cents. 

42 percent of the deaths are nursing home deaths. that's where we have failed.  then you have the US being the most unhealthy country in the world and the virus going after people who are unhealthy. going forward people need to eat healthier, excercise more, live healthier lives etc.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

NT Times:

"Listen Team Blue....I know it looks like nothing we said we must do works, but look at our fake data.....the cases are really bad where they didn't listen to us."

I'm sorry.  Did Pennsylvania, Illinois, and Michigan loosen all 500,000 of their restrictions and mandates?  

Enemy of the people:

Screenshot_20201119-095727_Chrome.jpg

You uhhh left out the data. Probably just an oversight. 

image.thumb.png.40dc13d2e78073a6e27f226834da3871.png

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TBBills said:

There we go was waiting for the bull####. Basement dwellers are on the other site, I suggest you head over there... Your garbage doesn't work here.

Can someone tell me where this other site is? I’m exhausted from the left wing echo chamber this place has descended into

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Can someone tell me where this other site is? I’m exhausted from the left wing echo chamber this place has descended into

The other place is a right wing echo chamber. This place is more for facts and truth. Which probably isn't what you want 

Edited by TBBills
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

So where is the place you speak of?

I don't know all I know is they supposedly made DR a mod so it's tinfoil hat city. I suggest you bring one before you enter. Lots of fake twitter news being posted as actual facts. Lots of facts being ignored or called fraud.

4 minutes ago, TBBills said:

I don't know all I know is they supposedly made DR a mod so it's tinfoil hat city. I suggest you bring one before you enter. Lots of fake twitter news being posted as actual facts. Lots of facts being ignored or called fraud.

The answer to "we disagree" is not to encourage people to run off to safe space. The better choice would be to try to encourage civil dialogue wherever you find anyone. 

The echo chambers solve nothing except to create more echos and myopic thinking. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, shoshin said:

The answer to "we disagree" is not to encourage people to run off to safe space. The better choice would be to try to encourage civil dialogue wherever you find anyone. 

The echo chambers solve nothing except to create more echos and myopic thinking. 

You ever try civil dialogue with DR? Not possible unless you agree with him. Also they would just attack anything they didn't believe in so it never worked out with them b.c they didn't want it to. 

The site has been much better off now with only a few trolling holdouts still trying to spread conspiracies.

You should have seen how bad it was on election day here with those Trumpies.

Edited by TBBills

3 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Amen brother! 

• Like (+1) 1