The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

6 minutes ago, Gary Busey said:

Cleveland since I grew up with the Bisons as their farm team in Buffalo.

Yep, went to plenty of their games. I do like Cleveland; however, I used to listen to Yankee games on the radio with my father when I was a kid - that's how I became a fan. 

Here's hoping to getting back to our sports teams sooner rather than later :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, GG said:

Rate of growth is very important because that's what all the doomsday predictions were based on.  Remember Petayo's petri dish example of the culture eventually taking over the entire dish?  The figure everyone clings to is 30% growth, so getting to below 20% is huge.  Heck you still have people talking about exponential growth, when data says otherwise.

Did you notice how the negative conversation suddenly changed from NY to USA?  Could it be that New York cases slowed down in absolute numbers and rate of growth.  Now other states are growing faster, and that's contributed to rising infections in the US.  There's reason to believe that NY will soon hit a peak and attention should turn to other areas.

But the blueprint could be in front of us.  Stay home for two weeks.  If you venture out, wear a mask and gloves and keep your distance from other people.

Pueyo's worst outcome estimates were based on doing nothing, treating it as if it was the flu.  His prediction from social distancing was no different from Levitt, predicting two weeks before the turn.  Btw, we're not below 20% yet, and it will be closer to 30% today. 

Yes, NYC is the canary, and let's hope it's leveling...However, I would not bet that you guys will get back to anything resembling normalcy for at least another month. 

Yep, that aged well...but who could've known...?

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Gary Busey said:

Cleveland since I grew up with the Bisons as their farm team in Buffalo.

I've learned to like Cleveland watching them in Spring Training in Goodyear. (Grew up a Yankees and Reds fan).

Got a Chief Wahoo t-shirt the last year they were PC.

Also my Chief Wahoo shot glass is right there with my Bills shot glass.

See we can coexist ?

16 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Yep, went to plenty of their games. I do like Cleveland; however, I used to listen to Yankee games on the radio with my father when I was a kid - that's how I became a fan. 

Here's hoping to getting back to our sports teams sooner rather than later :thumbsup:

Yankees on the radio on the road while the Mets were at Shea on tv.

• Like (+1) 2

On 3/23/2020 at 7:59 PM, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

For USA

~82,000 cases in US as of this afternoon. Approximately double from 3 days ago as the growth rate predicted. Hopefully with the shutdowns it takes longer to double again and the expansion slows.

US now leads the world in cases.

On 3/23/2020 at 8:10 PM, mannc said:

So not exponential 

Actually this is a prime example of exponential growth.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, TPS said:

Pueyo's worst outcome estimates were based on doing nothing, treating it as if it was the flu.  His prediction from social distancing was no different from Levitt, predicting two weeks before the turn.  Btw, we're not below 20% yet, and it will be closer to 30% today. 

Yes, NYC is the canary, and let's hope it's leveling...However, I would not bet that you guys will get back to anything resembling normalcy for at least another month. 

Yep, that aged well...but who could've known...?

NY was below 20% today.  All US jumped to 30% because of spikes in other states.  That's why showing aggregate data is bunk. 

Also continuing proof that China is lying about something big.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GG said:

NY was below 20% today.  All US jumped to 30% because of spikes in other states.  That's why showing aggregate data is bunk. 

Also continuing proof that China is lying about something big.  

Ya see other places jumped cases. Still high cases in NY.  Agree with you China on something big. 

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan

9 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Interesting and thanks for sharing.  Great to hear from the other side.

Taking it one step further, in your previous anti-Trump life, did you have concerns about corruption in the government and it's officials, insider deals and if so, how did/would you have adjudicated the vote come November? 

This is no set up, nor am I assuming one way or the other, just you mentioned "conservative tendencies" and wanted to get your thoughts. 

If you had asked me three weeks ago, I would have said the likelihood of me voting for Trump was literally zero.  One of my biggest issues with him is the lack of transparency--the refusal to release his tax returns and medical records, the fact that he did not divest of his interest in his company or even put it in a blind trust.  He is also the most extreme narcissist I've ever seen.  His opinion of other people is based entirely on whether they have said nice things about him or "treated him fairly."  I also despise his anti-immigrant policies and statements.

As I said, though, this recent self-inflicted crisis has been a huge eye-opener for me.  Trump has been ruthlessly attacked by the media and the Twitterverse for doing nothing more than pushing back against panic and lunacy with common sense and optimism.  I still hold largely negative views of Trump, but I am seeing why many of his supporters believe he is treated unfairly by the media.   And if he gets us through this mess in one piece, he might just win my vote.   

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Turk71 said:

~82,000 cases in US as of this afternoon. Approximately double from 3 days ago as the growth rate predicted. Hopefully with the shutdowns it takes longer to double again and the expansion slows.

US now leads the world in cases.

Actually this is a prime example of exponential growth.

Well, we can argue about what "exponential" means, but it's hard to tell what to make of 82,000 "cases".  What is a case?  Is it defined the same from state to state and country to country?  Does it mean positive tests?  If so, it's not very meaningful since many who test positive exhibit few or no symptoms. 

Here in Oregon, they have performed 7,300 tests.  Of all those tests, which are probably given mainly to people exhibiting symptoms, there have been only 316 positives, which is the number the state uses for CV19 "cases".  (It's incredible to me that the percentage testing positive is so low.)  But of those 319 positives, there have been only 90 hospitalizations and 11 deaths (all over 63 years old and all with pre-existing conditions) across the entire state.  (It's not clear how many of those 90 were already hospitalized or in nursing homes before they contracted the disease.)  If the same ratios apply to the national number of "cases" that should mean only about 23,000 hospitalizations nationwide.  That's not a huge number and it should be nowhere near enough to inundate emergency rooms and ICU units around the country.  As the numbers begin to flatten in NY,  it's becoming clear that this is not going to look anything like some of the doomsday predictions.        

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

:beer: 

If you want to have your eyes opened even more, I suggest going back through media clips discussing Trump/Russia from 2017-2019 knowing what we know for sure now: 

1) That the entire thing was fiction from the beginning

2) That the media knew it was fiction and used it to divide the country and attempt to hobble the administration anyway. 

And for the bolded bit on corruption -- know this as well. During the "Russia" investigation, Trump was put under the most invasive and intense investigation possible by not only the Congress but the FBI, DOJ, and the United States Intelligence Services. They used the most powerful and invasive tools at their disposal to find any crime or corruption they could pin on him (because, as stated above and now proven, the FBI/DOJ/IC knew as early as JANUARY 2017 -- before he was sworn in -- that the Russia story was fake). They expected, like you, to find oodles of corruption and misdeeds they could then use to bury him either in the courts or the court of public opinion. What did they find in the end? 

Not a single crime or instance of corruption. Not one. 

The media has been lying to all of us for well before Trump showed up. But his administration -- for better and worse -- has allowed people to see the media's bias, shortcomings, and agendas better than ever before. 

Sorry, I can't agree with you on this.  Trump was/is knee-deep with Russia/Putin, and the fact that he was not charged with a crime in no way exonerates him.    

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, mannc said:

Sorry, I can't agree with you on this.  Trump was/is knee-deep with Russia/Putin, and the fact that he was not charged with a crime in no way exonerates him.    

I don't know how much you've been involved with looking into all of the supposed connections Trump has had with Putin but I encourage you to think about how Trump has been a pain in Putin's ass since he became our President. He's provided Ukraine with deadly weapons to use against Russia. This is something Obama wouldn't do. He's put sanctions on Russian Oligarchs who are the real power backing Putin. He's strengthened NATO much to Putin's consternation. He's discouraged Europe from relying on Russian gas and oil while at the same time ramping up our production and trying to not only take market share from Russia but reduce the price of energy to starve the Russian economy. These things are not what a person does who is buddy buddy with another leader. I encourage you to state your case with specific instances referring to their collusion and I'll bet you'll find enough people here (including DR who has done the most actual  research by far) that can give you the facts to disprove your thoughts on this matter. 

• Like (+1) 7

48 minutes ago, mannc said:

If you had asked me three weeks ago, I would have said the likelihood of me voting for Trump was literally zero.  One of my biggest issues with him is the lack of transparency--the refusal to release his tax returns and medical records, the fact that he did not divest of his interest in his company or even put it in a blind trust.  He is also the most extreme narcissist I've ever seen.  His opinion of other people is based entirely on whether they have said nice things about him or "treated him fairly."  I also despise his anti-immigrant policies and statements.

As I said, though, this recent self-inflicted crisis has been a huge eye-opener for me.  Trump has been ruthlessly attacked by the media and the Twitterverse for doing nothing more than pushing back against panic and lunacy with common sense and optimism.  I still hold largely negative views of Trump, but I am seeing why many of his supporters believe he is treated unfairly by the media.   And if he gets us through this mess in one piece, he might just win my vote.   

Well, it appears we’d agree on nothing at all, but if you’re at the table come November, welcome. Better late than never. Thanks for the reply! 

3 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Well, it appears we’d agree on nothing at all, but if you’re at the table come November, welcome. Better late than never. Thanks for the reply! 

He appears to be the rare liberal who is willing to actually keep an open mind and will change his mind when presented with facts. In other words, he just may be someone worthy of an actual discussion. 

• Like (+1) 1