Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
JGMcD2

Tennessee Titans in Search of New DC - Could Impact Buffalo

Recommended Posts

Dean Pees announced his retirement today, which will leave the Tennessee Titans in need of a new DC for 2020. Ryan Talbot tweeted out some speculation that John Butler, our DB coach, may be of interest due to a connection between him and Vrabel. 
 

If that were to occur, I think Steve Wilks would be on the short list to replace him. Much like Washington replacing our departed DL coach, Wilks would seamlessly take over in a familiar scheme where he’s had success. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oh, Wow.  Would we let Butler go for that?

 

 

I assume they would

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oh, Wow.  Would we let Butler go for that?

 

 

  It is a vertical move clearly.  Sometimes when you don't want to you have to allow these moves so you can benefit the same when your team is in need.  I would not like letting Butler go but it certainly is not outrageous.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, as a team, I'm sure you don't want to lose lower coaches, but if you keep denying teams access to interview guys on your staff for promotions, when it comes time to you needing to interview someone, teams may block you. It also won't help you much if coaches can get promotions cause you keep preventing them from getting the opportunity.

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oh, Wow.  Would we let Butler go for that?

 

 

 

Can you stop a position coach from taking a Coordinator job? Or am I misunderstanding the OP?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This would be a move up in the ranks for him from a DB coach to an actual DC. You can't block that for someone. 

  • Like (+1) 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

 

Can you stop a position coach from taking a Coordinator job? Or am I misunderstanding the OP?

 

 

 

...think you perhaps can, but it may be an unwritten rule not to deny someone a promotion....not sure, but the previous move of tacking on Asst HC to a position coach to signify (COUGH) a promotion may have been stopped........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, H2o said:

This would be a move up in the ranks for him from a DB coach to an actual DC. You can't block that for someone. 

 

You can, actually, by rule.  All assistant coaches under contract can be blocked from any position except HC. 

 

That said, blocking your staff from taking a promotional step would generally be regarded as a d*** move and would seem kind of demoralizing and demotivating since most people want to feel that if they do a great job and are recognized for it, they can advance.

  • Like (+1) 10
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

You can, actually, by rule.  All assistant coaches under contract can be blocked from any position except HC. 

 

That said, blocking your staff from taking a promotional step would generally be regarded as a d*** move and would seem kind of demoralizing and demotivating since most people want to feel that if they do a great job and are recognized for it, they can advance.

That's what I was getting at my friend. :thumbsup:

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

I agree Can’t block unless being interviewed for the head job.

 

 

...think you perhaps can, but it may be an unwritten rule not to deny someone a promotion....not sure, but the previous move of tacking on Asst HC to a position coach to signify (COUGH) a promotion may have been stopped........

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JGMcD2 said:

Dean Pees announced his retirement today, which will leave the Tennessee Titans in need of a new DC for 2020. Ryan Talbot tweeted out some speculation that John Butler, our DB coach, may be of interest due to a connection between him and Vrabel. 
 

If that were to occur, I think Steve Wilks would be on the short list to replace him. Much like Washington replacing our departed DL coach, Wilks would seamlessly take over in a familiar scheme where he’s had success. 

I'm pretty sure that Ryan Talbot gets his info from this board, so I wouldn't worry too much.

  • Haha (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JGMcD2 said:

Dean Pees announced his retirement today, which will leave the Tennessee Titans in need of a new DC for 2020. Ryan Talbot tweeted out some speculation that John Butler, our DB coach, may be of interest due to a connection between him and Vrabel. 
 

If that were to occur, I think Steve Wilks would be on the short list to replace him. Much like Washington replacing our departed DL coach, Wilks would seamlessly take over in a familiar scheme where he’s had success. 

 

https://www.titansonline.com/news/titans-dc-dean-pees-announces-his-retirement

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/20/report-steve-wilks-will-not-be-back-as-browns-defensive-coordinator/

 

I'm kind of un-enthused about ex-coordinators as assistant coaches.  Sometimes it works, but sometimes you get a guy who is still working through issues from his last coordinator job, fretting about the demotion, and thinking about how can he get the next step.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I'm pretty sure that Ryan Talbot gets his info from this board, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Oh good God no.....if he gets his information from this board he's probably still investigating if George Seifert is at the Airport, if Bryant Johnson is still somewhere at OBD....man...

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Interesting that the Titans are also losing their DB coach.......

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

https://www.titansonline.com/news/titans-dc-dean-pees-announces-his-retirement

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/20/report-steve-wilks-will-not-be-back-as-browns-defensive-coordinator/

 

I'm kind of un-enthused about ex-coordinators as assistant coaches.  Sometimes it works, but sometimes you get a guy who is still working through issues from his last coordinator job, fretting about the demotion, and thinking about how can he get the next step.

 

I think these guys need a job and will take almost any one that's available. Only so many jobs in the NFL to be had, have to be careful about turning one down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, H2o said:

This would be a move up in the ranks for him from a DB coach to an actual DC. You can't block that for someone. 

Nor should you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oh, Wow.  Would we let Butler go for that?

 

 

I guess that would make it a promotion 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

You can, actually, by rule.  All assistant coaches under contract can be blocked from any position except HC. 

 

That said, blocking your staff from taking a promotional step would generally be regarded as a d*** move and would seem kind of demoralizing and demotivating since most people want to feel that if they do a great job and are recognized for it, they can advance.

 

This is interesting- I hadn’t realized that. I thought any upward movement was unblockable.

 

I do agree that it probably doesn’t go over well to block someone from a promotion If they want it. I guess pegs could shell out some cheddar to keep him happy and in Buffalo, but that doesn’t make a ton or sense unless they plan for him to replace Frazier in the near future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, klos63 said:

I think these guys need a job and will take almost any one that's available. Only so many jobs in the NFL to be had, have to be careful about turning one down.

 

I'm looking at it from the Bills-sided POV.  I want us to have the best position coaches, not a retread DC who needs a job and is taking any one that's available even if he's not that into it. 

 

Now maybe this guy's Real True Love is coaching DBs which he did for 9 years in the NFL for 3 different teams, and he'd be great and put his whole heart into it, I don't know.

 

Or maybe he'd "phone it in" while using his 2 yrs of DC experience and his 1 year of HC experience (AZ) to 2nd guess Frazier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The best programs, from Saban to Belichick, are constantly having coaching talent poached. It’s quite flattering really, now leave our staff alone! 

 

.

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Yeah, as a team, I'm sure you don't want to lose lower coaches, but if you keep denying teams access to interview guys on your staff for promotions, when it comes time to you needing to interview someone, teams may block you. It also won't help you much if coaches can get promotions cause you keep preventing them from getting the opportunity.

Yep. Just bad form. I would add it may be even slightly more significant for a franchise like the Bills to not become a team known as "blockers."

 

The cost of being "that team" is greater than the benefit of keeping any given assistant.

Edited by LSHMEAB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

Dean Pees announced his retirement today, which will leave the Tennessee Titans in need of a new DC for 2020. Ryan Talbot tweeted out some speculation that John Butler, our DB coach, may be of interest due to a connection between him and Vrabel. 
 

If that were to occur, I think Steve Wilks would be on the short list to replace him. Much like Washington replacing our departed DL coach, Wilks would seamlessly take over in a familiar scheme where he’s had success. 

They are welcome to take the whole defensive staff,  Frazier is way too conservative and is welcome to leave anytime

  • Meh 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...