Tennessee Titans in Search of New DC - Could Impact Buffalo

JGMcD2

Dean Pees announced his retirement today, which will leave the Tennessee Titans in need of a new DC for 2020. Ryan Talbot tweeted out some speculation that John Butler, our DB coach, may be of interest due to a connection between him and Vrabel. 

If that were to occur, I think Steve Wilks would be on the short list to replace him. Much like Washington replacing our departed DL coach, Wilks would seamlessly take over in a familiar scheme where he’s had success. 

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oh, Wow.  Would we let Butler go for that?

It is a vertical move clearly.  Sometimes when you don't want to you have to allow these moves so you can benefit the same when your team is in need.  I would not like letting Butler go but it certainly is not outrageous.

• Like (+1) 2

Yeah, as a team, I'm sure you don't want to lose lower coaches, but if you keep denying teams access to interview guys on your staff for promotions, when it comes time to you needing to interview someone, teams may block you. It also won't help you much if coaches can get promotions cause you keep preventing them from getting the opportunity.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Can you stop a position coach from taking a Coordinator job? Or am I misunderstanding the OP?

...think you perhaps can, but it may be an unwritten rule not to deny someone a promotion....not sure, but the previous move of tacking on Asst HC to a position coach to signify (COUGH) a promotion may have been stopped........

8 minutes ago, H2o said:

This would be a move up in the ranks for him from a DB coach to an actual DC. You can't block that for someone. 

You can, actually, by rule.  All assistant coaches under contract can be blocked from any position except HC. 

That said, blocking your staff from taking a promotional step would generally be regarded as a d*** move and would seem kind of demoralizing and demotivating since most people want to feel that if they do a great job and are recognized for it, they can advance.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You can, actually, by rule.  All assistant coaches under contract can be blocked from any position except HC. 

That said, blocking your staff from taking a promotional step would generally be regarded as a d*** move and would seem kind of demoralizing and demotivating since most people want to feel that if they do a great job and are recognized for it, they can advance.

That's what I was getting at my friend. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

I agree Can’t block unless being interviewed for the head job.

...think you perhaps can, but it may be an unwritten rule not to deny someone a promotion....not sure, but the previous move of tacking on Asst HC to a position coach to signify (COUGH) a promotion may have been stopped........

1 hour ago, JGMcD2 said:

Dean Pees announced his retirement today, which will leave the Tennessee Titans in need of a new DC for 2020. Ryan Talbot tweeted out some speculation that John Butler, our DB coach, may be of interest due to a connection between him and Vrabel. 

If that were to occur, I think Steve Wilks would be on the short list to replace him. Much like Washington replacing our departed DL coach, Wilks would seamlessly take over in a familiar scheme where he’s had success. 

I'm pretty sure that Ryan Talbot gets his info from this board, so I wouldn't worry too much.

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, JGMcD2 said:

https://www.titansonline.com/news/titans-dc-dean-pees-announces-his-retirement

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/20/report-steve-wilks-will-not-be-back-as-browns-defensive-coordinator/

I'm kind of un-enthused about ex-coordinators as assistant coaches.  Sometimes it works, but sometimes you get a guy who is still working through issues from his last coordinator job, fretting about the demotion, and thinking about how can he get the next step.

6 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I'm pretty sure that Ryan Talbot gets his info from this board, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Oh good God no.....if he gets his information from this board he's probably still investigating if George Seifert is at the Airport, if Bryant Johnson is still somewhere at OBD....man...

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Interesting that the Titans are also losing their DB coach.......

• Haha (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

https://www.titansonline.com/news/titans-dc-dean-pees-announces-his-retirement

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/20/report-steve-wilks-will-not-be-back-as-browns-defensive-coordinator/

I'm kind of un-enthused about ex-coordinators as assistant coaches.  Sometimes it works, but sometimes you get a guy who is still working through issues from his last coordinator job, fretting about the demotion, and thinking about how can he get the next step.

I think these guys need a job and will take almost any one that's available. Only so many jobs in the NFL to be had, have to be careful about turning one down.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is interesting- I hadn’t realized that. I thought any upward movement was unblockable.

I do agree that it probably doesn’t go over well to block someone from a promotion If they want it. I guess pegs could shell out some cheddar to keep him happy and in Buffalo, but that doesn’t make a ton or sense unless they plan for him to replace Frazier in the near future.