Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
WhoTom

OT: RIP Neil Peart

Recommended Posts

If you want a deep look into how he did what he did:

 

 

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Farewell to a King! Absolutely crushed hearing this last night. 
 

See you in 2112 “Professor”!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Helpmenow said:

Sad sad news what a percussionist/drummer. Too damn young

And lyricist. One of the best ever at that too. ☹️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I noticed in both the playoff games today, both NBC and CBS were using Rush music when they would go to a commercial break, usually featuring some amazing moment from Neal Peart. 

 

Classy touch from both networks, I thought.

 

 

  • Like (+1) 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I noticed in both the playoff games today, both NBC and CBS were using Rush music when they would go to a commercial break, usually featuring some amazing moment from Neal Peart. 

 

Classy touch from both networks, I thought.

 

 

 

Could hear some from the stadiums, too.  Not just Tom Sawyer, which isn't uncommon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I noticed in both the playoff games today, both NBC and CBS were using Rush music when they would go to a commercial break, usually featuring some amazing moment from Neal Peart. 

 

Classy touch from both networks, I thought.

 

 

 

I texted my friend the same thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been making my way through the Rush catalog since I heard the news.  Everyone knows the classics, but there are so many great hidden gems throughout the Rush catalog.  I just finished listening to Presto (1989) while doing some work in the garage and the last song on that album, Available Light, hit me like a ton of bricks.  What a great example of Neil's lyrical genius, it had probably been at least 15 years since I last listened to this song. 

 
Quote

 

All four winds together
Can't bring the world to me
Shadows hide the play of light
So much I want to see
Chase the light around the world
I want to look at life
In the available light
 
I'll go with the wind
I'll stand in the light

 

 
 
 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

his Bubba’s Book Club website was good for interesting reading suggestions

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CBS joining in again, playing Limelight.

Edited by Seasons1992

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sirius Deep Tracks (channel 29, in my car at least) seems to be playing all Rush this weekend, which is nice.

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Deep Tracks on Sirius/XM  is a great channel

Perhaps a Rush channel will soon be established

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, LewPort71 said:

Deep Tracks on Sirius/XM  is a great channel

Perhaps a Rush channel will soon be established

 

I kind of get the Bruce channel because his live concerts are so legendary but I have not really understood the dedicated channels on Sirius. It's not that hard to listen to a few hours of Rush (including their many live albums) anytime I want to. And this coming from a huge Rush fan who saw them a few times and loved them in concert.

 

But unlike Bruce or some others, they didn't create an experience that was unique to a given night. The impressive part of seeing Rush was the epic precision with which they re-created their music in the live experience. So listening to a live concert replay wouldn't add much.

Edited by John Adams

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LewPort71 said:

Deep Tracks on Sirius/XM  is a great channel

Perhaps a Rush channel will soon be established


Yup

 

Maybe a Canadian SiriusXM outlet 

Edited by row_33

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, John Adams said:

 

I kind of get the Bruce channel because his live concerts are so legendary but I have not really understood the dedicated channels on Sirius. It's not that hard to listen to a few hours of Rush (including their many live albums) anytime I want to. And this coming from a huge Rush fan who saw them a few times and loved them in concert.

 

But unlike Bruce or some others, they didn't create an experience that was unique to a given night. The impressive part of seeing Rush was the epic precision with which they re-created their music in the live experience. So listening to a live concert replay wouldn't add much.

 

I agree, to an extent.  I saw Rush for the first time on their Hold Your Fire tour.  Horrible album.  Terrible.  And the concert was really good, but nothing spectacular.  They opened up with Big Money when everyone in the crowd was expecting Spirit of Radio.  That kind of set the tone with them playing too much new crap.

 

However, their R:40 tour was phenomenal.  They started with their most recent stuff and played songs from every studio album (minus Hold your Fire, LOL) working their way to their humble beginnings.  As the eras changed, so did their gear.  By the end of the night, they were playing their earliest stuff with Neil Peart playing on a 5-piece set and Geddy/Alex playing through small rigs.

 

One of the biggest treats was them playing, "Jacob's Ladder," which hadn't been on a setlist in years.  Such a great show.  

 

But to your original point, I'm not sure a Rush-exclusive channel would be sustainable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, John Adams said:

 

I kind of get the Bruce channel because his live concerts are so legendary but I have not really understood the dedicated channels on Sirius. It's not that hard to listen to a few hours of Rush (including their many live albums) anytime I want to. And this coming from a huge Rush fan who saw them a few times and loved them in concert.

 

But unlike Bruce or some others, they didn't create an experience that was unique to a given night. The impressive part of seeing Rush was the epic precision with which they re-created their music in the live experience. So listening to a live concert replay wouldn't add much.

Grateful Dead anyone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Grateful Dead anyone?

 

Not my scene but they have that and I totally get it. Like the Bruce experience. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Sirius Deep Tracks (channel 29, in my car at least) seems to be playing all Rush this weekend, which is nice.

 

On my drive in this morning: The Necromancer, By-tor and the snow dog, Natural Science. Those three there are deep, deep tracks indeed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, LewPort71 said:

Deep Tracks on Sirius/XM  is a great channel

Perhaps a Rush channel will soon be established

Maybe..

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They were the first band I ever saw live.  I was holding out hope recently that somehow I'd get a chance to see them one more time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, shrader said:

They were the first band I ever saw live.  I was holding out hope recently that somehow I'd get a chance to see them one more time. 

To see Rush as your first concert is like hitting a Homer Run in your first at bat in MLB.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...