OT: RIP Neil Peart

WhoTom

I noticed in both the playoff games today, both NBC and CBS were using Rush music when they would go to a commercial break, usually featuring some amazing moment from Neal Peart. 

Classy touch from both networks, I thought.

• Like (+1) 5

11 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I noticed in both the playoff games today, both NBC and CBS were using Rush music when they would go to a commercial break, usually featuring some amazing moment from Neal Peart. 

Could hear some from the stadiums, too.  Not just Tom Sawyer, which isn't uncommon.

11 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I texted my friend the same thing.

I've been making my way through the Rush catalog since I heard the news.  Everyone knows the classics, but there are so many great hidden gems throughout the Rush catalog.  I just finished listening to Presto (1989) while doing some work in the garage and the last song on that album, Available Light, hit me like a ton of bricks.  What a great example of Neil's lyrical genius, it had probably been at least 15 years since I last listened to this song. 

All four winds together
Can't bring the world to me
Shadows hide the play of light
So much I want to see
Chase the light around the world
I want to look at life
In the available light

I'll go with the wind
I'll stand in the light

40 minutes ago, LewPort71 said:

Deep Tracks on Sirius/XM  is a great channel

Perhaps a Rush channel will soon be established

I kind of get the Bruce channel because his live concerts are so legendary but I have not really understood the dedicated channels on Sirius. It's not that hard to listen to a few hours of Rush (including their many live albums) anytime I want to. And this coming from a huge Rush fan who saw them a few times and loved them in concert.

But unlike Bruce or some others, they didn't create an experience that was unique to a given night. The impressive part of seeing Rush was the epic precision with which they re-created their music in the live experience. So listening to a live concert replay wouldn't add much.

Edited by John Adams

2 hours ago, John Adams said:

I kind of get the Bruce channel because his live concerts are so legendary but I have not really understood the dedicated channels on Sirius. It's not that hard to listen to a few hours of Rush (including their many live albums) anytime I want to. And this coming from a huge Rush fan who saw them a few times and loved them in concert.

But unlike Bruce or some others, they didn't create an experience that was unique to a given night. The impressive part of seeing Rush was the epic precision with which they re-created their music in the live experience. So listening to a live concert replay wouldn't add much.

I agree, to an extent.  I saw Rush for the first time on their Hold Your Fire tour.  Horrible album.  Terrible.  And the concert was really good, but nothing spectacular.  They opened up with Big Money when everyone in the crowd was expecting Spirit of Radio.  That kind of set the tone with them playing too much new crap.

However, their R:40 tour was phenomenal.  They started with their most recent stuff and played songs from every studio album (minus Hold your Fire, LOL) working their way to their humble beginnings.  As the eras changed, so did their gear.  By the end of the night, they were playing their earliest stuff with Neil Peart playing on a 5-piece set and Geddy/Alex playing through small rigs.

One of the biggest treats was them playing, "Jacob's Ladder," which hadn't been on a setlist in years.  Such a great show.  

But to your original point, I'm not sure a Rush-exclusive channel would be sustainable.

3 hours ago, John Adams said:

Grateful Dead anyone?

14 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Sirius Deep Tracks (channel 29, in my car at least) seems to be playing all Rush this weekend, which is nice.

On my drive in this morning: The Necromancer, By-tor and the snow dog, Natural Science. Those three there are deep, deep tracks indeed. 

11 minutes ago, shrader said:

They were the first band I ever saw live.  I was holding out hope recently that somehow I'd get a chance to see them one more time. 

To see Rush as your first concert is like hitting a Homer Run in your first at bat in MLB.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.