OT: RIP Neil Peart

WhoTom

I was in the Navy in the mid '80s and stationed at Great Lakes Naval Station, north of Chicago.  Saw Rush in July of '84 (Grace Under Pressure tour).  Neil was one of my favorite drummers, along with John Bonham, and Keith Moon.  He will be sorely missed.

RIP

I can still remember sitting oranges in the old Aud just to the left of the stage.  Mr first time watching Rush live.  Watching him wail on the drums, and suddenly the kit spins and he plays a second kit behind him.  Wails on that, and it spins again right into the Tom Sawyer intro.

He was the most technically clean drummer I ever saw.  His stick handling was impeccable, his rhythm flawless.  He was an amazing musician.

Edited by davefan66

What sucks is we’ll never be able to see him play live again.  Was holding out hope Rush would do another, maybe smaller, tour.  So glad I got to see them as many times as I did, and for their last tour.

I’m not saddened by many celebrity deaths, but this one is different.  It truly hurts.

RIP and Godspeed.

Edited by davefan66
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Foxx said:

this one? was the only one i could find that would possibly fit what you are saying here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQmz494XBkg

One of my all time favorite Rush songs.  Love how the drums aren’t in the background, but an integral part of the song.  Like do many of their songs the drums are a featured instrument not just keeping the beat.

Edited by davefan66
  • Like (+1) 1

No, his mind is not for rent
To any god or government
Always hopeful, yet discontent
He knows changes aren't permanent
But change is

18 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

One of my all time favorite Rush songs.  Love how the drums aren’t in the background, but an integral part of the song.  Like do many of their songs the drums are a featured instrument not just keeping the beat.

subdivisions was my anthem as a kid, even growing up in a city 

1 hour ago, davefan66 said:

i think the torch of the unquestioned greatest living drummer now resides firmly with Danny Carey.

RIP Neil. we were fortunate you found your calling.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I thought the consensus was Phil Collins was the greatest drummer?

his work with early and mid years Genesis is great

he couldn’t sing and drum complexly so he increased the pop stuff to drum to

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.