OT: RIP Neil Peart

WhoTom

It was funny listening to 97 Rock this morning coming into work and they had on a guy from the Buffalo News who wrote an article about Neil. When they talked about where he was from they said Getty and Alex were from Toronto, but Neil was from another part of Rural Ontario. I wouldn't call Hamilton where he was born 'Rural', he was then raised only about 30-45 minutes from their studio in a small section of St Catharines named 'Port Dalhousie' (Subdivisions was apparently written about the area, and Lakeside park was written about the park there that's on Lake Ontario with the old carousel you can ride for a nickel). You would have thought the guy writing an article about something he knew (Neil and Rush) would have known this since it's not that far from them.....

45 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

It was funny listening to 97 Rock this morning coming into work and they had on a guy from the Buffalo News who wrote an article about Neil. When they talked about where he was from they said Getty and Alex were from Toronto, but Neil was from another part of Rural Ontario. I wouldn't call Hamilton where he was born 'Rural', he was then raised only about 30-45 minutes from their studio in a small section of St Catharines named 'Port Dalhousie' (Subdivisions was apparently written about the area, and Lakeside park was written about the park there that's on Lake Ontario with the old carousel you can ride for a nickel). You would have thought the guy writing an article about something he knew (Neil and Rush) would have known this since it's not that far from them.....

St Catherine's is just across the Niagara River.  Peart's father was part owner and worked in a farm implement dealership.  Neil worked there before Rush came calling.  Certainly not the same background as the others.  

On 1/10/2020 at 5:29 PM, The Avenger said:

I remember listening to Rush growing up (couldn't escape them if you listened to Canadian rock radio - Q107, anyone?) and hearing for the first time that drums were't just an instrument to keep the time/beat of the song and provide a backbone to it. Neil Pert play an instrument that defined the song, just like the bass and the guitar - it was really amazing to hear what he did musically with the drums to bring life to a given song. I know he inspired many - may that be his legacy..... 

I listed to CILQ-FM in high school and was told to listen to a real station but ignored them as I usually did.

I loved his drums and I once made a cut from it and just replayed it when I needed some beats.

Chatted with him once on a forum and asked if he ever had chance to play Hawaii-Five-O theme song which I thought he would be great on and he said "No, but if the series remake is on like I heard I'd like to audition for theme."

15 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Chatted with him once on a forum and asked if he ever had chance to play Hawaii-Five-O theme song which I thought he would be great on and he said "No, but if the series remake is on like I heard I'd like to audition for theme."

The one theme he did do - Hockey Night in Canada:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

The one theme he did do - Hockey Night in Canada:

I saw that drum kit in person at the Hockey Hall of Fame years ago, I'm not sure if it is still there or not.

Talking to a teammate on my hockey team, he said there someone out of Cleveland I believe who owns an early drum set of Pearts that he tours around with to charity events and for donations you get. Chance to play on them.

48 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I saw that drum kit in person at the Hockey Hall of Fame years ago, I'm not sure if it is still there or not.

Talking to a teammate on my hockey team, he said there someone out of Cleveland I believe who owns an early drum set of Pearts that he tours around with to charity events and for donations you get. Chance to play on them.

Saw that kit at RushCon in Toronto for the Clockwork Angels tour.  I think this is it:

tjh_2203.jpg?w=300

http://andrewolson.com/Neil_Peart/drums/drumkits/chromey.htm

Edited by JÂy RÛßeÒ

A sad loss for greater rock drumdom.

As a drummer and somewhat RUSH fan I think he was an excellent drummer.  Like a QB has to be in the right offense, he was in the right band.  What he did would probably not work for very many others.  Put him in the Rolling Stones for example and wouldn't work. Same could be said for White Stripes LOL.

He was interesting.  I always viewed him as very technical, very methodical, very prepared, and very creative.  I found it interesting that before every tour he would compose a new drum solo, write it out note for note, and then play it the same way every night.  I read this in an interview with him a long time ago.  While awesome, also seemed kindof the antithesis of what most rock drummers I've known/know do (the ones that like to play solos) and what rock 'n roll is all about.  Usually one will have a list in their head of some things they want to do and improvise around and throw those things it at some point.

I don't mean to take anything away from him I just find it interesting.

I saw RUSH twice.  Once on the Permanent Waves tour and one years later.  Really good concerts.  I preferred the earlier stuff where they had the instrumental sections and stretched out.  Farewell to Kings, 2112, and Hemispheres are my favorites.  I still have the Hemispheres album in red vinyl.

If I had to pick a favorite RUSH song with great Niel lyrics it would be The Trees.  Love the woodblock part in the song about wood, well trees actually.  Just all of it.

• Like (+1) 1

The guy had dealt with unspeakable tragedy in his life in losing his teenage daughter to a car accident and his first wife to cancer in the span of a few months in the late 90s. In light of that, this instagram post by a good friend of Neil's is hard, showing him reading to his young daughter who is now left without a dad.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

So I started a weekly radio show here in Rochester, on an alternative music station.  http://wber.org  My show is Fridays from 5-8 PM

I got the news about Neil Peart last Friday at 4:30 as I was about to head out the door.  In grief and panic I grabbed 3 Rush CDs with the intent of playing a few songs whether anyone listening was into it or not.

Turns out a lot of people were into it!  Lots of Facebook reactions and some phone calls as well.  Thus tomorrow begins a new feature of my show - the Rush Song of the Week.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

And what will the first RUSH song of the week be?

It's up for a vote.  This week is the 40th anniversary of the release of Permanent Waves so it's a song from that album.  Right now it's looking like Jacob's Ladder has the lead with Entre Nous a darkhorse candidate

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.