Bills DL Coach Bill Teerlinck leaving for same position at Va Tech

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

The other thing is there were is the upward mobility?  He wont get a DC job in the NFL because everyone knows it is McD and Fraiser, and that also limits the internal DC move as well because Fraiser wont go anywhere.  So likely lets get back with a Friend, recruit well (easier now with NFL Ties), and get the DC job in VT, probably the faster upward mobility for him going this route

Maybe. But if McD, Frazier, and Beane like him, he won't have trouble getting interviews and likely a job back in the NFL if he wants to later. McDermott and Frazier have a lot of respect around the league. Unless, of course, his lines and players in his college gig don't produce at all. He did well this year with the DL, it's inarguable.

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

The other thing is there were is the upward mobility?  He wont get a DC job in the NFL because everyone knows it is McD and Fraiser, and that also limits the internal DC move as well because Fraiser wont go anywhere.  So likely lets get back with a Friend, recruit well (easier now with NFL Ties), and get the DC job in VT, probably the faster upward mobility for him going this route

I don't really get this idea of no upward mobility angle I mean what the only way for teams to think you've got potential is for the guy above you to suck? You'd think good HC/DC would be expected to hire good position coaches who would then after doing their job at a high level be good candidates to get a shot at a coordinator positions.

Edited by Warcodered

Just now, Warcodered said:

I don't really get this idea of no upward mobility angle I mean what the only way for teams to think you've got potential is for the guy above you to suck? You'd think good HC/DC would be expected to hire good position coaches who would then after doing their job at a high level be good candidates to get a shot at a coordinator position.

you think anyone in the NFL thinks McD and Fraizer don't have their hands ALL over this defense.  and Coordinator it a lateral move in the NFL and could be blocked (not saying McD would do that BUT can occur).  So he goes down coaches with his friend and wont have to worry about the McD and Fraizer questions if the DL down there excels.

4 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Maybe. But if McD, Frazier, and Beane like him, he won't have trouble getting interviews and likely a job back in the NFL if he wants to later. McDermott and Frazier have a lot of respect around the league. Unless, of course, his lines and players in his college gig don't produce at all. He did well this year with the DL, it's inarguable.

It all depends on his career goals - he’s coached in both college and nfl so has experienced both. Does he want to ultimately be a HC and if so does he want to do that at the college or pro level? If it’s college that he wants, it’s a good move and he Apparently feels comfortable with Fuente at the helm as far as where that program is and his own trajectory.  His dad coached DL forever in the nfl and I’m not sure if he ever moved up. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I don't think it will be easier for Va Tech to get better players to go to that school because a position coach just left the NFL.  I bet every one of those kids would be asking "WTF??".

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

I don't think it will be easier for Va Tech to get better players to go to that school because a position coach just left the NFL.  I bet every one of those kids would be asking "WTF??".

He walks into the Room and shows the growth of Shaq Lawson and Oliver.  Next he shows McD and Fraizer in his contact list on the phone.  

Having NFL Experience and ties is HUGE for Recruiting

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

It all depends on his career goals - he’s coached in both college and nfl so has experienced both. Does he want to ultimately be a HC and if so does he want to do that at the college or pro level? If it’s college that he wants, it’s a good move and he Apparently feels comfortable with Fuente at the helm as far as where that program is and his own trajectory.  His dad coached DL forever in the nfl and I’m not sure if he ever moved up. 

Nope Never did DL coach forever

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Teerlinck

Edited by MAJBobby

11 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I don't really get this idea of no upward mobility angle I mean what the only way for teams to think you've got potential is for the guy above you to suck? You'd think good HC/DC would be expected to hire good position coaches who would then after doing their job at a high level be good candidates to get a shot at a coordinator positions.

It's more a matter of the guys above him not going anywhere.

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You're so bent on being a contrarian that you lose your mind sometimes.

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

He walks into the Room and shows the growth of Shaq Lawson and Oliver.  Next he shows McD and Fraizer in his contact list on the phone.  

Having NFL Experience and ties is HUGE for Recruiting

Those were 2 1st round draft picks. 

The phone trick isn't going to steer many top players to that school. 

27 minutes ago, Special K said:

Making room for new Bills DL coach Kyle Williams?

That was my immediate reaction.  I don't know that Williams is inclined to move into coaching, but if he is, McDermott could make a worse choice.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, eball said:

It's more a matter of the guys above him not going anywhere.

Odd are he hoped he'd get an offer to go to another NFL Team with the Coaching carousel running and didn't get any calls.  Now he looks at the fact that he's buried on the "Depth Chart" sorta speak in Buffalo behind probably 4 or 5 assistant coaches who have been there longer.  If he ever wants to move up he has 2 choices:

1) Stay in Buffalo for another year and be a part of a great Defense where the is plenty of Credit to go around but be just another guy on a great defensive staff

2) Strike out on his own from Buffalo and make his case elsewhere... be "The Guy" who turned it around at VT.  

It's a bet on himself thing, and while he probably could've gotten some DC job at a minor program in college, it's much harder to make your way there... So he took a lateral move to a "Meh" program but not garbage, with a guy he knows and trusts and now needs to work hard to prove he deserves more.

If he can make something special out of VT's D-Line he will get a DC gig in college pretty quickly at a respectable program.  From there he can decide if he wants to push to get back into the NFL or stay in the college ranks.

Coaching football is a really hard thing to do, not just the work, but the politics and the nature of the job.  You're ALWAYS moving around... If you're good you're in high demand and you get offers all over and need to decide which to take and which not, but they always mean moving.  If you're bad you get fired and move down...  IF you're just so-so, you can stick around in a place with a coach but inevitably he will be fired or move and you need to decide what you want to do.

He has not roots in Buffalo, he has been here a few years and has learned things I'm sure, but he maxed out the upward mobility here.  This is a strategic move for him... either he wants LESS Responsibility and scrutiny by going to college, or he wants MORE but knows he needs to move on and re-prove himself again to get that upward mobility chance.  I think it's that he wants to move up and knows in Buffalo right now he just wont.  Which is a REALLY good thing that we have so many good coaches that he's burried and there's nothing he can do abou tit.

All that said this is a massive loss for the Bills.  Shaq, H. Phillips, J. Phillips, Murphy all improved from 2018 to 2019, and Oliver showed fantastic progression.  He was doing fantastic work here, and now we have big shoes to fill.