Who would you rather be a fan of today?

52 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

Our schedule will be the same as every AFCE team except for 2 games. It will be tougher but no tougher than our other division opponents. 

We are better setup for the next 3 years than any AFCE team. 

Because predicting outcomes this early is futile, but only 3 road games are worrisome.  On any given Sunday always applies, but I like our chances against Raiders, Broncos, Cardinals, Jets & Dolphins. 

The home schedule is tougher, but if we actually continue to improve and not regress, five wins at home should be a minimum expectation.

6 minutes ago, familykwi said:

TODAY, I'd rather be a Texans fan.  They're celebrating.  I'm here getting free therapy on the message board.

You’re obviously not cut out to be a Bills fan. Please help yourself and join the Texans message Board.

1 hour ago, IDBillzFan said:

Oh, please. Some of you are so condescendingly childish, it's borderline embarrassing.

Here's a little pathway to better understanding.

When it comes to being a Bills fan, ask yourself a few questions.

Question 1: Can you change the team? Hint; the answer is no. You, yourself, can literally do nothing to change this team. No matter how smart you think you are for not wearing blinders, you can't change the team. Even if you quit being a fan and cancel your tickets, it doesn't change the team. Nothing you, personally, can do can change the team.

Question 2: Since you can't change the team, can you live with it? It's a yes or no question. If the answer is no, then stop being a fan. If the answer is yes, then why in the holy hell would you care whether someone is wearing blinders? Because you think you're somehow smarter than the fans who choose to be homers?

Believe me, the absolute opposite is true. If you can't change it and you won't stop being a fan, try giving up on standing in judgement of people just because you incorrectly believe yourself to be the smarter fan.

If I write in all caps I believe the team will hear me....But come on we have people on here comparing JA to Favre and Elway already--Dont they deserve just a light smack on the head?

2 hours ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I think he has.

In my opinion, just like any new managers job.

First year, analyze, put your plan into action, understand what you have to work with, adjust where you can without creating turmoil.

Second year, Make adjustments based upon previous year (ie. Changed OC) clean up the junk (ie. contracts and people that don't buy into your plan) bring in a couple of guys to call your own (ie. Edmunds, Allen) and solidify the Defense (his strength).

Third year, culture is in place. Improve on weaknesses (ie. Offense) add some depth and versatility (OL) consistency on both Offense and Defense (ie. coaching and terminology)

2020 should be the year to really see if the Bills have it right and the correct people in place.

Just my thoughts though. 

I think this describes it very well.   There were substantial changes from year 1 to year 2, substantial improvement from year 2 to year 3.   They won't say it, but I think McBeane always figured that 2020 was the year the Bills would start seeing real success.  A playoff win this year would have been good, but I don't think they're disappointed  with where they are in their process.    In other words, a playoff win would have been a little ahead of schedule - possible, worth working for, but where they find themselves today is essentially on schedule.

1 hour ago, IDBillzFan said:

Oh, please. Some of you are so condescendingly childish, it's borderline embarrassing.

Here's a little pathway to better understanding.

When it comes to being a Bills fan, ask yourself a few questions.

Question 1: Can you change the team? Hint; the answer is no. You, yourself, can literally do nothing to change this team. No matter how smart you think you are for not wearing blinders, you can't change the team. Even if you quit being a fan and cancel your tickets, it doesn't change the team. Nothing you, personally, can do can change the team.

Question 2: Since you can't change the team, can you live with it? It's a yes or no question. If the answer is no, then stop being a fan. If the answer is yes, then why in the holy hell would you care whether someone is wearing blinders? Because you think you're somehow smarter than the fans who choose to be homers?

Believe me, the absolute opposite is true. If you can't change it and you won't stop being a fan, try giving up on standing in judgement of people just because you incorrectly believe yourself to be the smarter fan.

What a bizarre philosophy, though it fits in around here with the majority.

By the way, if we all adopted a "I can't do thing about it" philosophy with regard to everything Bills related, there would be no point in having a discussion forum in the first place.  In that world, it all ultimately comes down to "let's wait and see how it all plays out"--nothing we can do about it anyway" which doesn't really stimulate a lot of conversation.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, John in Jax said:

Great post, and I agree 100%. It seems pretty clear too. Sadly, too many people in here have on their red/blue blinders. LOL

Allen and Mcbean gonna be around for the next 5 years....you should consider taking them off as a Bills. Fan

• Haha (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Three years later and he is the same conservative sit on a lead and play defense coach he has been. So tell me when is he going to have growth mindset?

Well, if your looking for a KGun type offense and gameplan, your probably going to be disappointed. But, I do think the plan that is in place is to go offense this offseason both FA and draft. It will be up to Daboll to put it together.  If he does, McD will let him run with it. If Daboll can't get it to work, McD gets a new OC. 

As an aside, I am more of a defensive guy, so I enjoy the smashmouth football and close scores that get you jacked up for that last play of the game. I prefer winning of course, just don't like blowouts. Too boring when you already know the end of the movie.?

38 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

How many teams lose their franchise QB or another key player? How many teams this past year had moments where they were hot and moments when they were abysmal? How can we not know that Bills will raise their game when they have the opportunity with a tougher schedule?

Few people predicted a Buff win in Pitt this time last year. The point is circumstances change as will a great many variables before the Bills next play. 

The funny thing is that a statement of a tough schedule is a no lose assessment. If the Bills are terrible you are correct. If the Bills are good, you can still say you were correct, but that the Bills rose to the occasion. Unless you can predict the future you don't know and the only purpose it serves is to act as a justification for whatever off season agenda you prescribe.

What? Complete nonsense. It isn't about any agenda. It is about objectively saying "yea next year is harder on paper." 

You need to quit thinking every opinion anyone has that differs from yours is an agenda. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Seoulofstone said:

So defensive. I'm a Watson fan. He's a great QB. I'm saying that he didn't have a great game by his standards. Even in the last quarter and OT he left plenty out on the field. He gave the Bills just as many extra chances to win as the Bills gave him. He extended plays brilliantly but he can play So much better. That's not to denigrate him, we both know that he's played better. 

I was responding to your assertion that the Texans were better and am not at all making excuses for Josh- so you're wrong about that 

I accept your correction on the turnover, but you berate me for making excuses for Allen and miss my point. Their numbers aren't disimilar for the game. You are giving credit to Watson for the same things you are criticising Allen. What did Allen do well you ask? Third and long completions- he had more than Watson. Running threat he was better -I'm not talking about scrambling here. Authoring long clock eating drives down the pitch. He led a 4th quarter comeback to tie the game. Texans get a few broken plays with dump off passes and YAC with multiple missed tackles and its-"wow Watson is so great". 

That is the problem with looking at qbs  We look at the end result then try and make the numbers fit  If the Bills won Josh would have done enough  Missed tackles and dumb playcalls/clock mgmt cost us the game.  We had a 16-0 lead and choked, that is a team loss.  I though Watson got lucky  He held the ball too long all game and played sandlot football  Difference is his skill guys made a few more plays than ours did and our defense again missed too many crucial tackles

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

What? Complete nonsense. It isn't about any agenda. It is about objectively saying "yea next year is harder on paper." 

You need to quit thinking every opinion anyone has that differs from yours is an agenda. 

In your opinion. Before free agency, the draft, preseason and injuries with all the changes that will bring.

It's so funny that you level that at me when you quoted JoeinWinslow saying condescendingly that he "normally" has good takes but pompously that you are usually right in your judgement. You also "call me out" for putting down Deshaun Watson to generate reflected glory for JA, which you Sigmund Freud have diagnosed as a defence mechanism even though, I'm not a Bills fan but a Panthers fan.

32 minutes ago, TH3 said:

Allen and Mcbean gonna be around for the next 5 years....you should consider taking them off as a Bills. Fan

LMAO. Says who? You? Unless McDummy does a complete 180 from his abysmal time management skills, and idiotic offensive play-calling in crucial gametime situations, he will be gone, because they will NOT keep winning games with those mistakes. This year, for all intents & purposes, they only made the playoffs because of their weak-a$$ schedule.

I'm always amazed...and amused....that some Bills fans think that if other Bills fans don't drink the Kool-Aid, and "trust the process", they should just go away and/or be banned from the rainbows & butterflies brigade in here. LOL  The actual reality is that usually, those of us who are NOT drinking the Kool-Aid, are correct about things.

2 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

LMAO. Says who? You? Unless McDummy does a complete 180 from his abysmal time management skills, and idiotic offensive play-calling in crucial gametime situations, he will be gone, because they will NOT keep winning games with those mistakes. This year, for all intents & purposes, they only made the playoffs because of their weak-a$$ schedule.

I'm always amazed...and amused....that some Bills fans think that if other Bills fans don't drink the Kool-Aid, and "trust the process", they should just go away and/or be banned from the rainbows & butterflies brigade in here. LOL  The actual reality is that usually, those of us who are NOT drinking the Kool-Aid, are correct about things.

You seem like a bright guy. You should send Beane your resume. 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

Well, I am  not amused by the "realist" crowd who think that those with a different take are all a mob of "rainbows & butterflies" optimists.

I don't happen to like Daboll's playcalling for the most part and I think McD will fail if he doesn't eventully learn to trust Josh Allen and let the team go for the kill rather than turtling with a lead. Allen needs another season of developing and the offense still needs upgrades on the oline, rb, and wr. If all that happens, and it's not ridiculous to think it could, the process will work out fine. If it doesn't, it won't, but most so-called homers are arguing for the plausible, not the certain.

Just now, Dr. Who said:

Well, I am  not amused by the "realist" crowd who think that those with a different take are all a mob of "rainbows & butterflies" optimists.

I have NEVER told any other poster in here to "get lost" or "go away" or "stop posting" or "stop being a Bills fan" or anything similar. I have never put anyone on "ignore." I would never personally attack someone simply for their football opinions, because they vary from mine.

YET, I have seen members of the "trust the process" brigade do ALL of the above simply because somebody doesn't "tow the company line" and/or agree with their takes....like was done to me in this thread by TH3.

41 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

In your opinion. Before free agency, the draft, preseason and injuries with all the changes that will bring.

It's so funny that you level that at me when you quoted JoeinWinslow saying condescendingly that he "normally" has good takes but pompously that you are usually right in your judgement. You also "call me out" for putting down Deshaun Watson to generate reflected glory for JA, which you Sigmund Freud have diagnosed as a defence mechanism even though, I'm not a Bills fan but a Panthers fan.

Where did I quote Joe out saying he normally has good takes? I think you are getting me mixed up with someone else. 

Just now, John in Jax said:

I have NEVER told any other poster in here to "get lost" or "go away" or "stop posting" or "stop being a Bills fan" or anything similar. I have never put anyone on "ignore." I would never personally attack someone simply for their football opinions, because they vary from mine.

YET, I have seen members of the "trust the process" brigade do ALL of the above simply because somebody doesn't "tow the company line" and/or agree with their takes....like was done to me in this thread by TH3.

Okay, I don't think I have to defend unacceptable behavior for my point to be valid. I've certainly been tempted to ignore certain individuals. There are a few who seem to never offer anything but a tiresome, mean-spirited, and often stupid crusade. Thinking that does not mean everyone with a negative criticism is a jerk. I appreciate thoughtful criticism and I try to take it into account, even if I ultimately dissent.

19 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

The actual reality is that usually, those of us who are NOT drinking the Kool-Aid, are correct about things

Which is why homers like me get such a laugh at your expense. We know the issue isn't whether you drink the Kool Aid or not, or whether we watch the game with blinders on.

It is almost always, always, always about about this childish need to come to a message board to write those useless words, "I told you so. I was right and you homers were wrong."

As predictable as a sunrise. And worth every chuckle to us homers. :lol:

• Thank you (+1) 1

What i find funny about the glass half empty/glass half full discussion, is that the pessimists have watched their team struggle to make the playoffs for 20 years. The present regime has got there twice in 3 years, but casual fans want to blow it up because they don't like - insert name of HC, GM, OC, QB .etc.

They may be proven true in time but why would you hope for that? So much water to go under the bridge before next season.

48 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

Ah I see the post you mean. You are misinterpreting. I didn't mean you in the directive sense at Joe. 

I meant generally I think you can get a feel for what teams will be. You have somehow decided that if I think that it is because I have an agenda. I have no agenda at all. Next year's schedule at this stage looks significantly harder than this years. That is not an agenda. It is an opinion. If you think it is impossible to know I say I really don't think it is. In fact there are posts from me this time last year saying it was a big offseason for the Bills precisely because I thought this year's schedule provided a rare opportunity. 

There are some things you can measure. I think we played 7 games against first year head coaches for their teams this year (and one against an interim). Next year that number is likely zero unless someone gets surprisingly fired late. 

2 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

What i find funny about the glass half empty/glass half full discussion, is that the pessimists have watched their team struggle to make the playoffs for 20 years. The present regime has got there twice in 3 years, but casual fans want to blow it up because they don't like - insert name of HC, GM, OC, QB .etc.

They may be proven true in time but why would you hope for that? So much water to go under the bridge before next season.

I don't know anyone who wants to blow it up. In fact the only person who is catching any sort of "we need to move on" heat is Daboll. Personally I'd retain him too. Think Josh will benefit more from not having to learn a new offense. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Thank you (+1) 1

@GunnerBill   I 100% agree that if the new schedule is played now with current players all healthy the betting man would see a low over/under win prediction for the Bills. I look forward to revisiting this topic in August.

I do enjoy and respect your analysis and posts even if I don't always agree with them.

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said: