Who would you rather be a fan of today?

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Nor did our highly paid center. In fact it looked like he swerved out of the way of contact. 

I don't why, but this play bothered me more than any other during this game. The 3rd and 18 conversion probably comes in second.

1 minute ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Wow! I knew it was bad, but not that bad! PISS POOR

I am bad at the cutting up bits of video and linking and what not but I watch every Bills game back and then I think I have watched 12 of the 16 regular season game all 22s. So many plays like this that are well designed and fail because we cannot execute relatively simple fundamentals. Now admittedly while I watch a lot of other NFL games - I have averaged 9 games a week this year - I can probably count on two hands the number of non-Bills all22s I have looked at. So admittedly my perception of how many plays the Bills offensively leave on the field through awful execution might be skewed or lacking context as to the league average but I am convinced it is too many. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Not Morse and Knox. Ford and Knox.

Indeed. I posted that before our conversation last night when I watched back but Morse also watches the guy run by him. He knows he is the last line of defense for Allen. Any one of the three could have made the block on Cunningham.

Just now, GoBills808 said:

Not his man. Pulling center is not responsible for playside LB.

I agree. But he knows he is the last line of defense. I think he had every opportunity to make a play and didn't. 

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Nor did our highly paid center. In fact it looked like he swerved out of the way of contact. 

I didn’t even notice Morse.   That’s three guys who completely failed football 101 at the most crucial time, and almost got our QB killed as well.  Inexcusable.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Why does Daboll have two green as grass rookies lead blocking instead of Lee Smith who is literally only on the team for his blocking abilities?

It is a fair question but that was a routine blocking assignment. You shouldn't need your blocking expert to make that play. You really, really shouldn't. 

1 minute ago, High Football IQ said:

it's not crazy to believe that Gase is actually a decent coach and better than McClappy.

Yes. Yes it is. 

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Indeed. I posted that before our conversation last night when I watched back but Morse also watches the guy run by him. He knows he is the last line of defense for Allen. Any one of the three could have made the block on Cunningham.

I agree. But he knows he is the last line of defense. I think he had every opportunity to make a play and didn't. 

He was probably shocked that Knox missed his block. Allen was probably, too. 

You know who wasn't shocked that a rookie missed an important block in an important spot? Me! Now ask yourself why Daboll couldn't have seen the issue with this design if I wasn't surprised it failed

On 1/5/2020 at 8:36 AM, oldmanfan said:

The future is bright.  A painful loss though, hard to get over.

That's where I'm at.  I thought going into Saturday's game that it was about 50/50, and thought I was prepared for the loss, but the circumstances really changed how I feel about it. Having a 16-0 lead, then the refs at the end - it felt like a gut punch, and I'm still working through it.   I also feel like the playoffs are wide open this year, and the Bills could have made a real run.

On the glass-half-full side, we made great strides, and I have a lot of confidence about the future.  I'm more bullish on Allen than a lot of fans, and think one of the silver linings of the way we lost is that it will fuel him to work even harder this offseason, as he has stated.  I also think Beane knows what he's doing, and that he'll make the offseason moves that are needed to push this team over the top.  

We probably won't be in the media, but we should be favorites to win the division next year.

So, to the OP's question - there is absolutely no fan I'd rather be than a fan of the Buffalo Bills.  Is it September yet?

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am bad at the cutting up bits of video and linking and what not but I watch every Bills game back and then I think I have watched 12 of the 16 regular season game all 22s. So many plays like this that are well designed and fail because we cannot execute relatively simple fundamentals. Now admittedly while I watch a lot of other NFL games - I have averaged 9 games a week this year - I can probably count on two hands the number of non-Bills all22s I have looked at. So admittedly my perception of how many plays the Bills offensively leave on the field through awful execution might be skewed or lacking context as to the league average but I am convinced it is too many. 

Separate issue, but tackling fundamentals seem poor too. Surprising give the type of coach McD is supposed to be. Either this persona is not true or, as I suspect,  he is seething inside and wants better guys.

6 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

You know who wasn't shocked that a rookie missed an important block in an important spot? Me! Now ask yourself why Daboll couldn't have seen the issue with this design if I wasn't surprised it failed

Gimme a break.  A rookie in his first preseason game could have made that block and THREE NFL STARTERS whiffed on it.  It was a GREAT play design and if ONE of those starters had done his job, we would have won the playoff game.  Allen probably scores if someone blocks Cunningham.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I think you are reaching to put this on Daboll. Three guys who couldn't execute a really simple football 101 play. 

That is on players. It is on execution. 

Just now, mannc said:

Gimme a break.  A rookie in his first preseason game could have made that block and THREE NFL STARTERS whiffed on it.  It was a GREAT play design and if ONE of those starters had done his job, we would have won the playoff game.  Allen probably scores if someone blocks Cunningham.

It was the exact same play design as the first QB sweep, run from the opposite hash to R so the space was compressed. Texans recognized it immediately. 

Having Smith in there instead of Knox disguises the look and gets a more capable blocker on #41. 

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think you are reaching to put this on Daboll. Three guys who couldn't execute a really simple football 101 play. 

That is on players. It is on execution. 

Sounds like you're surprised that when a team runs two carbon copy plays during a game, the second one fails. And then you blame the players. 

That's not how the NFL works. The other guys get paid too.

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

It was the exact same play design as the first QB sweep, run from the opposite hash to R so the space was compressed. Texans recognized it immediately. 

Having Smith in there instead of Knox disguises the look and gets a more capable blocker on #41. 

It’s not that Knox wasn’t capable; it’s that he made zero effort to block a guy who had a straight line to his QB.  A coordinator is not responsible for a guy who flat out failed to perform a simple task.   The play was set up perfectly, and if Smith is in there, Houston might have committed more guys to stopping the run since that’s a dead giveaway.

4 minutes ago, mannc said:

It’s not that Knox wasn’t capable; it’s that he made zero effort to block a guy who had a straight line to his QB.  A coordinator is not responsible for a guy who flat out failed to perform a simple task.   The play was set up perfectly, and if Smith is in there, Houston might have committed more guys to stopping the run since that’s a dead giveaway.

Just blaming Knox is shallow imo but whatever

Like blaming Allen for his completion% but no question as to whether having him throw it 46 times was a good idea

40 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Sounds like you're surprised that when a team runs two carbon copy plays during a game, the second one fails. And then you blame the players. 

That's not how the NFL works. The other guys get paid too.

The play didn't fail because the defense diagnosed it. They were outnumbered 3 on 1, indeed 4 on 1 including the ball carrier. The play failed because 3 Bills blockers failed to lay a hand on the one defender out there to stop the play. 

It was on execution no matter how hard you try and pin it on coaching. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The play didn't fail because the defense diagnosed it. They were outnumbered 3 on 1, indeed 4 on 1 including the ball carrier. The play failed because 3 Bills blockers failed to lay a hand on the one defender out there to stop the play. 

It was on execution no matter how hard you try and pin it on coaching. 

OK. So even if you want to just gloss over how personnel matters re: players strengths, preferences etc and how that should clearly have been Smith and not Knox in there, that's fine...your assertion that execution has nothing to do with coaching is downright laughable. 

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

OK. So even if you want to just gloss over how personnel matters re: players strengths, preferences etc and how that should clearly have been Smith and not Knox in there, that's fine...your assertion that execution has nothing to do with coaching is downright laughable. 

I have never made that assertion. 

Just now, GoBills808 said:

It's right here guy

You know that what I meant there was on personnel and play-calling as distinct from what they are practicing Monday to Friday. You are being disingenuous if you say you honestly believed that statement was intended to incorporate the way the players practice and are prepared.  

No one in the same division. I think I would go Chiefs first, they seem old school like the Bills, even their stadium was built about the same time as Rich/RWS/New Era. If I wanted a team closer to home, I'd go with the Steelers.