GM Dorsey meeting with Haslam - He's out

Reed83HOF

4 minutes ago, Groin said:

Analytics and good management are what brought 5 titles in the first place.  We all know the drill in MLB.  It's pretty much Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, and a sprinkling of others who end up in the mix.  Most of the other teams are DOA, and when you take a deeper look at how they've built their teams, they've done it badly.

Then there was Depodesta's flash in the pan Mets...

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ennjay said:

I give credit to the Pegulas for figuring this out.  Between the Bills and the Sabres, they realized (eventually) that buying a pro sports franchise doesn't mean you know how to own (meaning operate) one.  It took the Rooneys maybe 40 years to figure that out.  After previous fiascos (Rex, Brandon, TMurray ....) the Pegulas eventually realized they didn't know what they were doing and got out of the way.  I know the Sabres aren't there yet but they're in better shape than they were in two and three years ago.

Yet there are many Sabres fans convinced the Pegulas are the problem with the Sabres.  I was just reminded of this fact tonight over at SaberSpace.

I am with you and the Pegulas have my gratitude.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Where you get this?

been posted all over Twitter that those would be DePodesta

Stefanski and McCarthey has no dispute that I have Seen . 

there is Some Dispute On McDaniels. 

I’ve been telling my buddies (both Browns fans) he should be fired for weeks. They kept saying no way, he’s brought in too much talent. He made a lot of mistakes that set the team back but not giving Greg Williams a shot after the way the team finished last year was his biggest one. 

6 hours ago, Groin said:

There's nothing wrong with analytics, and in MLB smaller market teams have proven that they can win the World Series.

However, and that should've been in all caps, the NFL does not have the luxury of data analysis alone as there is no official league to develop talent over X years.  This is not to say that data analysis can't work in the league; this is to say that you need a data person to work in tandem with a football person.  So what do the Browns do?  The wrong thing.  So we agree there.

Which small market team has won the WS other than KC recently? 

12 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Nice, but small market teams (2 from Missouri) have won 5 WS in the last 30 years.

He's a bit of a clown.  Plus, there's no way as GM coming in that you don't tell your slow-witted owner that the first guy out the door is Hue Jackson.

You can’t hold that against Dorsey.  It’s exactly what he did tell the Haslams, but they made him keep Hue for another season.  Dorsey’s problem was that he went with Kitchens when he did get to chose.  He also meddled with some coaching things and hid that from ownership, which did not go over well when discovered.  

Edited by BarleyNY

13 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Then there was Depodesta's flash in the pan Mets...

You might want to think twice about ripping on Depo.  His job is to provide organizational structure for the Brown, though that’s been largely ignored up until now.  The Haslams went against their management’s wishes when the Browns hired Hue Jackson and against Depo’s when they hired Kitchens.  He preferred Stefanski.  Also when the brass - including Depo and analytics driven GM Sashi Brown - voted unanimously for another candidate, but the Haslams ignored them to select Hue, do you want to guess who they all voted for?  It was none other than Sean McDermott.  Seems like the problem with the Browns is ownership, not competent people like Depodesta.  Things with the Browns aren’t going to get better until they step aside. 

14 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Dorsey is actually a good evaluator of football talent I think.  Personality wise, he's apparently kind of a prick.  But he does know his football.

(do not ask me wherefore that word is not ****d out but the verb "***** victory from the jaws of defeat" is, for I know not.)

...agree.....surprising he lasted 4 years in KC with Andy running the show.....

16 hours ago, BillsFan2313 said:

Which small market team has won the WS other than KC recently? 

Yeah, my apologies for this.  I had way too much holiday cheer last night and was not using my head, obviously.  This morning was rough, although I was due; this was the first NYE in probably 15 years where I was over served (by my wife, who made an endless supply of these killer Old Fashioneds :-) ).  My output on social media yesterday, as I reviewed it today, wasn't as bad as I'd thought after I emerged from the fog.  So I suppose that's good.

The teams that come to mind are KC and STL for WC champs, and the same grouping plus Cleveland, Tampa Bay, and Colorado as "small market" teams who have appeared in the WS.  Source of info is this to determine market sizes for baseball teams.

Hope you've had a great holiday season!