AFC East becoming competitive

BBills88

12 minutes ago, H2o said:

I like Flores, and I think Miami got a good coach for once, but I am not terrified by any means. I do expect the Bills and Dolphins to be the teams fighting for the division mostly over the next decade though. 

Yeah Flores has been impressive. Similar to what McDermott has done here in Buffalo. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

They lost to the Dolphins and the Bengals. And they beat who the Giants, Redskins, Raiders, Dolphins, Steelers, and our 2nd-3rd string barely.

Exactly. If we needed that W , I think we would have won by double digits. I'm happy , but it's mind boggling how they could stick with Gase

6 minutes ago, wppete said:

Yeah Flores has been impressive. Similar to what McDermott has done here in Buffalo. 

Yeah, he's working to change the culture in Miami. All things considered, I think he did an excellent job. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

They lost to the Dolphins and the Bengals. And they beat who the Giants, Redskins, Raiders, Dolphins, Steelers, and our 2nd-3rd string barely.

I mean the Bills had the 2nd easiest schedule in the NFL and 2nd lowest strength victory of the playoff teams. We really didn't do anything but beat bad teams. Winning does help build culture though. But it can change quickly with the schedule. We're very much like the 2018 Bears.

I won't discredit any teams wins though. They count. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

19 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Dolphins need a QB 1st.

And then they need to develop that QB properly. The NFL is littered with good QB prospects who were poorly managed. This is what makes me so optimistic about the Bills and Allen. 

And even if you DO manage to develop the QB properly, who's to say you don't end up with an Andy Dalton, or Mariota, or Winston, or Kaepernick.

So many things have to fall into place to get the big prize (especially if you choose not to cheat along the way), which is why the Jets hiring Gase and Browns hiring Kitchens were complete head scratchers to me.

The Bills are trending upwards not because Allen is being properly managed, but because the TEAM is being properly managed. Once Brady* and/or Bellicheck* retire, possibly this year, the AFC East is up for grabs and the Bills are, at  this moment, in the best position to grab it. I'd argue you don't even NEED retirements in NE* next year for the Bills to take the lead.

Edited by IDBillzFan

4 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

And then they need to develop that QB properly. The NFL is littered with good QB prospects who were poorly managed. This is what makes me so optimistic about the Bills and Allen. 

And even if you DO manage to develop the QB properly, who's to say you don't end up with an Andy Dalton, or Mariota, or Winston, or Kaepernick.

So many things have to fall into place to get the big prize (especially if you choose not to cheat along the way), which is why the Jets hiring Gase and Browns hiring Kitchens were complete head scratchers to me.

The Bills are trending upwards not because Allen is being properly managed, but because the TEAM is being properly managed. Once Brady* and/or Bellicheck* retire, possibly this year, the AFC East is up for grabs and the Bills are, at  this moment, in the best position to grab it. I'd argue you don't even NEED retirements in NE* next year for the Bills to take the lead.

Dolphins have a  long way to go to catch the Bills and Jets. 

I'm very happy we have Allen right now. I wanted all the other 1st rounders and not Allen. I wanted to trade the farm for Darnold. I still think he's better at understanding passing concepts but Allen just has unlimited potential. I knew that during the draft but I didn't think he could ever reach that potential. Now I believe Allen can reach it. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

lol never count out the dark empire my friends.. the dark lord BB has a plan and the empire will still be hard to beat next year even with a different Sith Apprentice behind center... lol

seriously though next year is next year god knows what happens let’s have fun enjoy the playoff ride and how long it goes and worry about next year afterwards. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I'm very happy we have Allen right now. I wanted all the other 1st rounders and not Allen. I wanted to trade the farm for Darnold. I still think he's better at understanding passing concepts but Allen just has unlimited potential. I knew that during the draft but I didn't think he could ever reach that potential. Now I believe Allen can reach it. 

I don't follow college ball, so I had no sense of who I preferred in the draft.

On the other hand, I do follow NFL to a fault, and in my opinion it doesn't matter how good Darnold is or can be as long as Gase is his HC.

Mayfield could be in worse shape. He's going to enter his third year in the NFL with his fourth HC (counting Greggo half-season as interim).

The Browns have had 9 HCs in 12 years. NINE! Yeesh. Who the hell would want to be HC there?

53 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

They also gave the first wins to Miami and Cinci and got blown out in both of them 

First wins?  So what?  They finished 6-2.

31 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

If you're going to start discounting wins due to weak opponents......

Edited by Mr. WEO

1 hour ago, ProcessAccepted said:

The dolphins are building through the draft. They are not going to try and buy their way there.

Process, you are absolutely right in their draft pics, but by giving away their Tackle, etc. They have a lot of players to replace so I respectfully disagree (I know you make very good takes) as when you have approximately $108 mil, and have to spend 88% of their cap although can maneuver it.  My point simply is they are going to plug a couple of holes in free agency.  Not a spending spree, but strategically plugging a couple of holes.  

I call it like I see it: A lot of you might hate to hear this, but if Sam Darnold didn't have mono, the Jets might  have 9-10 wins this season. Once they hit the easier part of their schedule, they racked up wins much like Buffalo did.

The Dolphins are heading in the right direction, have a slew of picks, and cap space, and a desirable location to play, keep an eye on Miami.

Bold Prediction: Come the 2021 season, the AFC East will be considered the best division in the NFL.

If you thought it was a challenge for Buffalo to get to 10 wins this season, it will be an even harder task to maintain or even surpass this total in this division very soon.

Edited by Like A Mofo
  • Like (+1) 1

Both the Jets and Dolphins have bad o-lines.  I wouldn't be surprised if they try to do what Beane did and sign as many mid-level free agents to the o-line as they can and see who sticks.  It is a copy cat league.

Jets were surprisingly good in the 2nd half of the year especially considering all the injuries they had.   Darnold didn't look good against the Bills but he was pretty good the last eight games (6W-2L/ 13 TD/ 4 Int/ 61% completion/ 243 ypg).

They might be pretty decent next year unless Gase screws everything up.  

Edited by Billy Claude

1 hour ago, PatsFanNH said:

lol never count out the dark empire my friends.. the dark lord BB has a plan and the empire will still be hard to beat next year even with a different Sith Apprentice behind center... lol

seriously though next year is next year god knows what happens let’s have fun enjoy the playoff ride and how long it goes and worry about next year afterwards. 

The AFC East denizens are hiring Bills Drought Era head coaches and becoming more competitive. The Jets hired Gregg Williams as DC. The Dolphins just hired Gailey as OC. Your Pats need to immediately fire Belichick, make Rex Ryan head coach, add Jauron as DC, and add Mularkey as OC.