Salary Cap Freeze effective 4Pm today

Reed83HOF

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Add to this that we have now  become a “cool” destination for free agents so we won’t drastically have to overpay for free agents like in the past and it should set ourselves up nicely for the draft 

Cool in what way? I mean, it's cool to us homers on TBD but I seriously doubt living in Buffalo and paying NYS taxes has become cool just because the Bills are a wild card team two out of three years. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

Cool in what way? I mean, it's cool to us homers on TBD but I seriously doubt living in Buffalo and paying NYS taxes has become cool just because the Bills are a wild card team two out of three years. 

Mitch Morse pretty much signed here cause of Josh Allen add to that the years that John Brown and Cole Beasley are having players around the league players can see what we’ve built here and see we aren’t just a 1 year Jacksonville Jaguars deal it does help a lot when dollars are pretty much equal for a particular player...as for the taxes hey you can rent an apartment here and buy a home in the south ?‍♂️

Edited by 78thealltimegreat

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Mitch Morse pretty much signed here cause of Josh Allen add to that the years that John Brown and Cole Beasley are having players around the league players can see what we’ve built here and see we aren’t just a 1 year Jacksonville Jaguars deal it does help a lot when dollars are pretty much equal for a particular player...as for the taxes hey you can rent an apartment here and buy a home in the south ?‍♂️

The Bills made Morse the highest paid Center in football. But you think the reason he signed with the Bills was that he'd rather play with Josh Allen vs. Patrick Mahomes?

Alrighty then!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

but I seriously doubt living in Buffalo and paying NYS taxes

You pay based upon where the $ is earned, ie Bills only pay 1/2 (actually, I think it's 9/17ths) of their income as NYS income tax.  Also, many States have "entertainer taxes"  (I assume NYS being one of them), so although NYS is very highly taxed relative to other destinations, it's not as disadvantageous as one might think.

Further, on "a few million", the extra taxes "only" amount to "a few hundred thousand"; there are other, often more important factors when considering employment situations.

• Thank you (+1) 2

15 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

....LOL and the Colts have a quarter billion.

Looking forward to "cap space" 2 years from now means nothing.

Sure it does, because it shows the liabilities you have on your books. If the Bills spend all $90 million next year they'll still have over $100 million in 2021 to spend. It gives them a ton of freedom this offseason knowing that they'll still have more than enough to sign their own.

15 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Yeah but you still have to pay the state income taxes in NY for all wages earned in the state of NY

16 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

We are continuing to reap the fruits of eating all that dead $$ up front in 2018 instead of trying to spread it out and continue FO mediocrity from previous regimes—we already cashed in some of those dividends this year with great results...

taking less and spreading it would’ve just let us roll over even more to today if we didn’t spend the freed up cash 

21 minutes ago, Fingon said:

Sure it does, because it shows the liabilities you have on your books. If the Bills spend all $90 million next year they'll still have over $100 million in 2021 to spend. It gives them a ton of freedom this offseason knowing that they'll still have more than enough to sign their own.

If the 90 million were one year contracts.

My point is more along the lines of this example.  If White signs for 15 million per year it equates to 30 million off the 200 million number

for 2021.

All I am saying is the 2021 cap is a long way away and a lot can change that number.

17 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You are too kind.

It makes NO difference at all.:lol:

No.

If signed this year, the signing bonus would be paid this year. That changes how the amortization works. The first fraction would be paid this year if signed this year. That means that the year the last fraction is paid would be a year earlier.

It also changes leverage. Depending on how well a player is playing next year - or even how he plays in the playoff game(s) - he might easily feel more or less pressure to sign a contract at that time than he does now. So the contract's terms could change between now and next year, particularly if they wait till during the season to sign a re-negotiation.

17 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

We are continuing to reap the fruits of eating all that dead $$ up front in 2018 instead of trying to spread it out and continue FO mediocrity from previous regimes—we already cashed in some of those dividends this year with great results...

Yup. Good point.

Edited by Thurman#1

21 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

Why would you not rollover?

There are no football-related reasons.

If an owner didn't want to spend the money on players at all ... just wanted to put it as a profit to the team, he could just not roll over the money.

I believe it's been done but it's extremely infrequent. If you want to be as competitive as possible, you always roll it over. Fans get it and don't appreciate what it means.

Edited by Thurman#1

17 hours ago, LB48 said:

Just a simple question:  Why couldn't our other recent GM's do this? 

There were plenty of years the Bills rolled over unused cap space in that past. Buddy Nix did so practically every year. The problem was they were not fielding a competitive team at the same time as not spending the money available to them. When you are where the Bills are, competitive team, relatively young core, QB rookie deal and cap space it is the time to focus on one or two high class additions to make the difference. 

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

WNY real estate costs are low compared to many areas of the country, and half your games are played outside of NYS ( and the associated taxes) anyway. Aside from that, players are giving the management and environment great reviews. That word gets around with players in the league, and the team has become relevant again with two playoff berths in 3 seasons. These things do matter. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1