Why are the the late 80's Giants D's never mentioned among the best?

Mr. WEO

Watching some 30 for 30 last night: again the Bills SB run one and the one with BB and Parcells.  That D was insane.  They hurt everyone (Jim Burt v. Montana hit was epic).  Yet, after the '85 Bears and '00 Ravens, they rarely make a top 10m list.  Crazy.

Thoughts?

I believe people in the know (current and former coaches, players, and management) know that the team was taken to the next level with the assistance of heavy doses of blow, crack, and who knows how many steroids before testing was as accurate/performed as regularly/more difficult to cheat.  This is common knowledge and to me is the #1 reason they don’t get the same level of respect as the all time best defenses, especially in the “inner circle” of the NFL.

36 minutes ago, Dirtyd415 said:

I believe people in the know (current and former coaches, players, and management) know that the team was taken to the next level with the assistance of heavy doses of blow, crack, and who knows how many steroids before testing was as accurate/performed as regularly/more difficult to cheat.  This is common knowledge and to me is the #1 reason they don’t get the same level of respect as the all time best defenses, especially in the “inner circle” of the NFL.

Are you serious?  You think “people in the know” thought only the Giants players were doing coke and PEDS?  What planet are you from?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

That team reminds me of the Patriots.  Not because of how they played or how good they were......but because they were cheaters.  

Banks, Carson, Miller and the rest were great players, but the guy who spearheaded everything they accomplished on d (not belichick) was cheating.  

How is Barry Bonds not in the MLB HoF.....while LT is regarded (by many) as the best player ever on the defensive side of the ball.

Barry took drugs that enhanced his performance

LT took drugs that enhanced his performance 

Take the coke out of LTs nose and you would’ve seen a different player.  One not as dominant 

• Haha (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

That team reminds me of the Patriots.  Not because of how they played or how good they were......but because they were cheaters.  

Banks, Carson, Miller and the rest were great players, but the guy who spearheaded everything they accomplished on d (not belichick) was cheating.  

How is Barry Bonds not in the MLB HoF.....while LT is regarded (by many) as the best player ever on the defensive side of the ball.

Take the coke out of LTs nose and you would’ve seen a different player.  One not as dominant 

Hmm. I read this just before I was gonna post that LT's greatness overshadowed the greatness of guys like Banks and Carson and the rest of the Giants D.

Was LT coked up on the field? Can't recall claims/evidence to that effect.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Watching some 30 for 30 last night: again the Bills SB run one and the one with BB and Parcells.  That D was insane.  They hurt everyone (Jim Burt v. Montana hit was epic).  Yet, after the '85 Bears and '00 Ravens, they rarely make a top 10m list.  Crazy.

Thoughts?

I'd have to go back and watch some of the games. My memories of the 2 Super Bowl teams right now :

1986: they beat a BS Broncos team.

1990: that game was more about the Bills losing than the Giants winning.

so I give them props but not much more than that.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Hmm. I read this just before I was gonna post that LT's greatness overshadowed the greatness of guys like Banks and Carson and the rest of the Giants D.

That's the way I see it as well.

LT is such an enormous figure in NFL lore that his greatness overshadows what the team and the defense accomplished. Guy was something of a pioneer in terms of "edge" players lined up off the LOS attacking the QB.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Was Taylor a sketchy character back then? Could people tell something was up during interviews and such? I wasn’t old enough to remember him but did anyone have a clue? 

Not really, but the media has always made up the good or bad narrative it has deemed for an athlete, as it always did and does do and will do in the future

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

Coke isn't really a performance enhancing drug, especially in the context of a couple hour long football game.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Are you serious?  You think “people in the know” thought only the Giants players were doing coke and PEDS?  What planet are you from?

I’m from earth you miserable ass.  You asked a question and solicited peoples opinion.  I gave you mine and you gave me a snarky BS response.  “What do you think about xyz?  Oh, that’s stupid and your wrong.”  I’m sure you are a joy to be around this time of year, must just gotten some anthracite in your stocking I guess.  

Back to your original question, I didn’t say they were the only ones doing it.  Was Barry Bonds the only player juicing up in Baseball??  No, but he had the best regimen/product/body response and became great because of them.  The giants had the most players juicing and hitting hard drugs right before the game.  Also had the best supply of the highest quality being in NY in the 80s.  

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Coke isn't really a performance enhancing drug, especially in the context of a couple hour long football game.

Um, not sure where you get your info, but for defenders, especially lineman and backers, it would 100% be performance enhancing.  Maybe not for a QB or WR where more fine motor skills are used.  Also have you heard of a key bump?  Coke is about the most discreet drug to use.  They certainly “recharged” at halftime but also likely on the sidelines.  

13 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Thoughts?

Obviously the Giant defenses were talented. I do however think that without Taylor, they were just another "very good" defense.

Taylor was off the charts great. Tony Dorsett said he used to wake up in the middle of the night seeing visions of Taylor coming at him.

I met LT once in unusual circumstances and am 100% sure he was both crazy and dangerous. That said, I never saw a better defensive player, not even Bruce.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

That’s your opinion.  My experience says otherwise 

cocaine was reported by the media as harmless, often helpful, for a long long time.

The crack epidemic expanding through the 80a and the deaths of Len Bias and a lot of lesser known athletes changed the narrative.