Josh Allen Stat ... wow

Rigotz

On 12/23/2019 at 10:51 PM, Boatdrinks said:

Definitely a big improvement over his first 5 games this season. Encouraging for sure. 

Very encouraging.   He's on the right track and with more help in 2020 he will improve more!

I found it interesting to hear Allen mirror what I have thought for a while about his early game jitters. I just think that he is such a competitive player that he still comes into games too amped up, ready to hurdle defenders, and it takes him some time to get settled. That is why you tend to see those passes come out of his hands too soon with too much zip and so many off-platform throws early in games.

Needs to play some pickup basketball or something early in the morning to get some of that extra juice out of his system. That, and a few long scrambles earlier in games to take the edge off.

Then like a switch that gets turned on, his timing and feel for the game seem to sync up later before the half and in the second halves of games. I thought the Pats game was a game where we would have to run well, we didn't. Allen would have to take care not to turn over the ball, he did not turn it over. And our defense would have to shut down the run and cover Edelman, they did not do either very well. I also felt our offensive line gave up too much pressure against 4-man rush packages, we did not win the trenches on either side of the ball.

Yet the game was still there for the taking at the end...so close, and that bothers me the most. We are a play or two away, or a play maker or two away from taking over these kind of games.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I kind of don't get this, Saint.  At least, I read criticism of Josh Allen, of Beane's handling of the offense, and of McDermott  and Daboll - and how!  on this board all the time.

Ultimately, if Josh succeeds he will be his own unique guy I think.

cant judge josh cause he’s raw, and had a bad cast 

can’t judge beane because of the cap situation

cant judge McD because he had josh and a talent strapped roster was a major feedback loop across a large portion up until about 2 months ago when it became uncool to have questions about any with the winning record back 

5 minutes ago, WideNine said:

I found it interesting to hear Allen mirror what I have thought for a while about his early game jitters. I just think that he is such a competitive player that he still comes into games too amped up, ready to hurdle defenders, and it takes him some time to get settled. That is why you tend to see those passes come out of his hands too soon with too much zip and so many off-platform throws early in games.

Needs to play some pickup basketball or something early in the morning to get some of that extra juice out of his system. That, and a few long scrambles earlier in games to take the edge off.

Then like a switch that gets turned on, his timing and feel for the game seem to sync up later before the half and in the second halves of games. I thought the Pats game was a game where we would have to run well, we didn't. Allen would have to take care not to turn over the ball, he did not turn it over. And our defense would have to shut down the run and cover Edelman, they did not do either very well. I also felt our offensive line gave up too much pressure against 4-man rush packages, we did not win the trenches on either side of the ball.

Yet the game was still there for the taking at the end...so close, and that bothers me the most. We are a play or two away, or a play maker or two away from taking over these kind of games.

I think all of that is extremely accurate. And no pun intended?

• Thank you (+1) 1

The Daniel Jones comparison is interesting because that is exactly how they should have used Allen last year, throw a lot & learn on the job with a losing team (6-10) & see what they had.....  But they didn't & now it is turning him into a game manager, when he was selected 7th to be the future (not Duck Hodges).

Again Sunday is an interesting case in point, wanting to prepare for the playoffs & don't risk injury, but also to let him loose.

The Bills coaching staff will probably play it close to the chest & again we'll be left wondering for the playoffs.

44 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

The Daniel Jones comparison is interesting because that is exactly how they should have used Allen last year, throw a lot & learn on the job with a losing team (6-10) & see what they had.....  But they didn't & now it is turning him into a game manager, when he was selected 7th to be the future (not Duck Hodges).

Again Sunday is an interesting case in point, wanting to prepare for the playoffs & don't risk injury, but also to let him loose.

The Bills coaching staff will probably play it close to the chest & again we'll be left wondering for the playoffs.

How was Allen supposed to throw a lot last year?  What OL did he have creating the opportunity?  What receivers did he have to target?

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

cant judge josh cause he’s raw, and had a bad cast 

can’t judge beane because of the cap situation

cant judge McD because he had josh and a talent strapped roster was a major feedback loop across a large portion up until about 2 months ago when it became uncool to have questions about any with the winning record back 

Huh.

If you can't do any of those things around here, how come I read them all constantly?

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Very little. Peterman was a farce. Vet was cheap. They chose wrong OL. WR. Kept bad OL coach. 

Beane’s words on the QB situation last year kinda summed it up for me: “AJ wasn’t who we thought he was.” Once that realization crystallized,  it was too late to effectively do much more than they did. And Beane has owned that mistake. 

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

Beane’s words on the QB situation last year kinda summed it up for me: “AJ wasn’t who we thought he was.” Once that realization crystallized,  it was too late to effectively do much more than they did. And Beane has owned that mistake. 

If you bring in a "gap year" vet QB who can't manage the offense your OC wants to run (one several vets have described as the most complex they've seen) .... maybe the thing to do is....simplify the offense so your "gap year" vet QB can run it? 

It's not like AJ can't throw in a real NFL game.  Of course, when he did so successfully he had a real OL and NFL quality WR/TE, so there's the question of our OL and receivers last year.

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

How was Allen supposed to throw a lot last year?  What OL did he have creating the opportunity?  What receivers did he have to target?

Huh.

If you can't do any of those things around here, how come I read them all constantly?

Why do other rookie QB's drafted high & considered the "franchise/future" come out & are given every opportunity to shine.  

The Bills in 2018 were ready to roll with Peterman (so stupid in so many ways) & did very little on the offensive side of the ball.  A huge mistake & yet another reason  that the Bills are behind schedule on O....   

Again outside Rosen all highly drafted QB's have had big games in their first year, while Allen has had good/very good games, but no breakout performances......

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/25/2019 at 10:19 AM, whorlnut said:

Not to mention that some fans hold it against Allen because the Bills traded the pick that the Chiefs used on Mahomes. They also fail to realize that Mahomes at 10 was a HUGE reach at the time. 

No way. Mahomes was not a huge reach. He was a super talented kid that was viewed as needing a few technical refinements.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Again outside Rosen all highly drafted QB's have had big games in their first year, while Allen has had good/very good games, but no breakout performances......

I'm losing count of the number of times you have said this exact thing, over and over with no added insight or information.

That's usually a sign of something.  Let's see....my failing memory perhaps?  No, no, I don't think that was it.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Why do other rookie QB's drafted high & considered the "franchise/future" come out & are given every opportunity to shine.  

The Bills in 2018 were ready to roll with Peterman (so stupid in so many ways) & did very little on the offensive side of the ball.  A huge mistake & yet another reason  that the Bills are behind schedule on O....   

Just curious—how many TD’s does a QB need to be responsible for before you would consider something “breakout?” Just reaching into the grab bag and pulling out the 2nd Miami game last year where Allen produced 5 TDs, for example. But actually, I’m more impressed with his come from behind wins than anything else :thumbsup:

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm losing count of the number of times you have said this exact thing, over and over with no added insight or information.

That's usually a sign of something.  Let's see....my failing memory perhaps?  No, no, I don't think that was it.

Oh, I love this game!!!  Rhymes with "blue suede!!"

12 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Just curious—how many TD’s does a QB need to be responsible for before you would consider something “breakout?” Just reaching into the grab bag and pulling out the 2nd Miami game last year where Allen produced 5 TDs, for example. But actually, I’m more impressed with his come from behind wins than anything else :thumbsup:

Yep he has Miami's #....  Unfortunately the last three times coming from behind in the 4th failed (Cleveland, Baltimore & NE).....  And again I blame the coaching not Allen.

27 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I've brought up stats continually & blame the coaching as they have not allowed Allen to be unleashed & see exactly what they had.  They had Peterman start last year..... 

Take a look at every QB drafted top 15 & almost all have been quickly given the opportunity to sink or swim.  Deshawn Watson being a prime example.

Lamar too is who he is because Baltimore configured an offense for him & his skill set.

The offense is better but still 27th this year.....  

By the way 47 games into McD's tenure & not a 300 yard game......  Had to throw that in.