Outcoached on both sides of the ball...and Edmunds sucked

There is just no sugar coating this loss. It is squarely on the coaches.

McD and Frazier have been so good the last month. But they choked and coached scared yesterday. Maybe they thought our front four could bring enough pressure.  Even if they did, by the second quarter it was obvious to everyone it wasn't working. Teams have beaten the Patriots by bringing pressure. Tom and that WR group are not to be feared. What is sad, is McD preaches learning from the past and getting better. He and Frazier are not when they face the most critical moments. This is entirely correctable.  

Edmunds was awful yesterday. I watched him almost exclusively on defense as the game wore on. Most of the run damage was straight at him.  Again the issue was recognition and angle to the ball. On the big screen play in the second half he is 8 yards down field trying to engage the linemen when he could have easily split between them and made a play on the runner. Awful instincts. Only two years and only 21 has been the excuse, but I'm starting to doubt he will ever be the star MLB he was drafted to be.

And on to Daboll.  He should be forced to watch the Patriots gameplan. Short passes and throwing to the running backs. Why is this such a hard concept? Or maybe he should be forced to watch SB XXV and see how Thurman almost beat Belichick single handed. Bills have Singletary (they should be using Yeldon too) and Beasley to do exaclty what Patriots did to them. Keep Hightower on the field by formation and then make him drop in coverage. I have no issue with the amount of run plays. A little more play action on first down would be nice. Josh did him no favors missing a few easy throws early but Daboll could have been better 

But rejoice, this is all fixable. They can get back to the fearless mode they played the last month.  And a playoff win on the road is still possible. 

• Like (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Belichick is hard to beat.   He game plans better than anyone else and makes better adjustments.

On offense, NE featured rugged backs Burkhead and Michele because that's what works against the Bills fast, poor tackling defense.  Against a big, slow defense they'd have run James White all day.  The Bills couldn't counter and so NE controlled the game.

On defense, when Singletary has an effective first half. (7 rushes for 34), NE adjusts to stop him in the 2H (8 rushes for 12 yards), yet Bills don't adjust and continue to pound him for no gain series after series.

• Like (+1) 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Very good post.  By now you'd think the NFL would know that to beat Brady you need to blitz up the middle.  But we just dropped everyone, again, wtf?!?!

The Offense was ok.  We stuck with the run, which is fine, but it just wasn't working.  Allen missed some open WRs, and for some reason on those read options, he never kept the ball even when it was there.  He also panicked on the one QB draw, didn't sell the draw, and missed a first down.    My only real complaint on the offense was.....where's the play action?  Where's the bootlegs??  Allen would be DYNAMITE on the bootleg.  That really should be a major part of our offense

1 minute ago, KD in CA said:

Belichick is hard to beat.   He game plans better than anyone else and makes better adjustments.

No he just cheats.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

McD and Frazier have been so good the last month. But they choked and coached scared yesterday. Maybe they thought our front four could bring enough pressure.  Even if they did, by the second quarter it was obvious to everyone it wasn't working. Teams have beaten the Patriots by bringing pressure. Tom and that WR group are not to be feared. What is sad, is McD preaches learning from the past and getting better. He and Frazier are not when they face the most critical moments. This is entirely correctable.  

Edmunds was awful yesterday. I watched him almost exclusively on defense as the game wore on. Most of the run damage was straight at him.  Again the issue was recognition and angle to the ball. On the big screen play in the second half he is 8 yards down field trying to engage the linemen when he could have easily split between them and made a play on the runner. Awful instincts. Only two years and only 21 has been the excuse, but I'm starting to doubt he will ever be the star MLB he was drafted to be.

And on to Daboll.  He should be forced to watch the Patriots gameplan. Short passes and throwing to the running backs. Why is this such a hard concept? Or maybe he should be forced to watch SB XXV and see how Thurman almost beat Belichick single handed. Bills have Singletary (they should be using Yeldon too) and Beasley to do exaclty what Patriots did to them. Keep Hightower on the field by formation and then make him drop in coverage. I have no issue with the amount of run plays. A little more play action on first down would be nice. Josh did him no favors missing a few easy throws early but Daboll could have been better 

But rejoice, this is all fixable. They can get back to the fearless mode they played the last month.  And a playoff win on the road is still possible. 

I also started watching Edmunds exclusively in the 1st quarter - however was afraid to post anything as to get flamed.

He was almost always going the wrong way, moving away from the RB on his own and ending up out of the play entirely.  And then sometimes he was blocked 

and couldn't do anything.

Maybe he's not a MLB?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

On offense, NE featured rugged backs Burkhead and Michele because that's what works against the Bills fast, poor tackling defense.  Against a big, slow defense they'd have run James White all day.  The Bills couldn't counter and so NE controlled the game.

On defense, when Singletary has an effective first half. (7 rushes for 34), NE adjusts to stop him in the 2H (8 rushes for 12 yards), yet Bills don't adjust and continue to pound him for no gain series after series.

Agree. Not one screen called all game. Only one WR end around that Feliciano blocked very poorly 

7 minutes ago, peterpan said:

Very good post.  By now you'd think the NFL would know that to beat Brady you need to blitz up the middle.  But we just dropped everyone, again, wtf?!?!

The Offense was ok.  We stuck with the run, which is fine, but it just wasn't working.  Allen missed some open WRs, and for some reason on those read options, he never kept the ball even when it was there.  He also panicked on the one QB draw, didn't sell the draw, and missed a first down.    My only real complaint on the offense was.....where's the play action?  Where's the bootlegs??  Allen would be DYNAMITE on the bootleg.  That really should be a major part of our offense

No he just cheats.  

Agree. Play action and bootlegs. They called one sprint roll out to TE that Allen threw a terrible ball and then the one in the endzone before the half. Watch Seattle today, they will call no less than 6.

6 minutes ago, peterpan said:

No he just cheats.  

He's the greatest NFL coach of all-time and he also happens to cheat. He also has the greatest quarterback in history at his disposal.

Those three things have resulted in the single-greatest run in the history of professional sports in the United States.

Brady brought his A game yesterday. When that happens this Patriots team is so difficult for anyone to beat - especially at home.

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Agree. Not one screen called all game. Only one WR end around that Feliciano blocked very poorly 

Was yesterday the first game you watched this season? They haven't successfully executed a screen in all of 2019.

• Like (+1) 4

We have one of the lower payrolls in the NFL and we were going up against one of the NFL's best teams and the game wasn't decided until the very end.   The game was not an unmitigated coaching disaster.  It just showed we might be a year away still - which is what many believe anyway.  With as much cap space as we have, next year's squad is likely to be better.  

If the OL blocked a little better...  if Allen was a little more accurate...  if the WRs got separation a little more often...   if the D tackled a little better...  we would  have won.  This was a hard fought, competitive one play game.  I'm not disappointed in our coaches.    

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Socal-805 said:

I also started watching Edmunds exclusively in the 1st quarter - however was afraid to post anything as to get flamed.

He was almost always going the wrong way, moving away from the RB on his own and ending up out of the play entirely.  And then sometimes he was blocked 

and couldn't do anything.

Maybe he's not a MLB?

Don't be afraid. You watched the game and saw what you saw. One bad game does not mean he should be benched or that he can't get better. I and many others feel he should be an OLB but that is all conjecture.  Jets gsme should be treated like a preseason game. Experiment a little. Let Edmunds play OLB for a few snaps, let Oliver get some snaps at DE, and let Tre play man to man on the slot WR for a few plays.

4 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

He's the greatest NFL coach of all-time and he also happens to cheat. He also has the greatest quarterback in history at his disposal.

Those three things have resulted in the single-greatest run in the history of professional sports in the United States.

Brady brought his A game yesterday. When that happens this Patriots team is so difficult for anyone to beat - especially at home.

Was yesterday the first game you watched this season? They haven't successfully executed a screen in all of 2019.

Yes they have been fairly bad at screens all year but you can still try.

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Agreed. It is fixable. They will learn and get better from this experience.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I wish Edmunds was a thumper of a LB'er but he's only a slightly above average wrap-up tackler at the moment, and that issue is compounded by a lack of consistency.

Hopefully he understands that to be more impactful in his role of leader of the defense, he has to be a lot more consistent with his tackling. 

I thought Edmunds played and looked soft yesterday to be very honest...at least on certain plays. 

29 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

How can you not gameplan better when you cheat and spy? 

3 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

I wish Edmunds was a thumper of a LB'er but he's only a slightly above average wrap-up tackler at the moment, and that issue is compounded by a lack of consistency.

Hopefully he understands that to be more impactful in his role of leader of the defense, he has to be a lot more consistent with his tackling. 

I thought Edmunds played and looked soft yesterday to be very honest...at least on certain plays. 

I have thought the same thing since day 1. I love the kid but I don’t love him as a MLB to me he is an OLB. Edmunds doesn’t put a lick on anyone and has a hard time getting his pads low. Kevin Johnson is another LOUSY tackler. He may be one of the weakest/softest corners I have ever seen play the game.

• Like (+1) 1

Up to this point, what I have gathered from the posts today:

1) Allen sucks

2) The Oline sucks

3) Allen sucks

4) Edmunds sucks

5) Allen sucks

6) The coaching sucks

7) Allen sucks

8.) The run defense sucks

9) The run game sucks

10) The receiving sucks

and

11) Allen sucks

Did I miss anything?

Kind of wondering how we made the playoffs...

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Up to this point, what I have gathered from the posts today:

1) Allen sucks

2) The Oline sucks

3) Allen sucks

4) Edmunds sucks

5) Allen sucks

6) The coaching sucks

7) Allen sucks

8.) The run defense sucks

9) The run game sucks

10) The receiving sucks

and

11) Allen sucks

Did I miss anything?

Kind of wondering how we made the playoffs...

Anyone who said Allen sucks is unworthy of a read. Period.

• Like (+1) 4

Everyone gets out coached by BB. It wasn’t one sided - I thought our coaches kept them fairly off balance.  It was actually one of the best gameplans BB has put together all year, and we had a chance to tie at the end.

Ours coaches are legit.  McD may not be a riverboat gambler, but he is a tough coach who gameplans well and has built a hard-nosed team that will always fight to the end.

We’re looking good for the years ahead.  I think McD/Allen could be a lot like Levy/Kelly for us.

10 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

New here?

:lol:

It's why I've got like 50 people on ignore currently

No...LOL... Member since 2008. Not many posts because frankly most of this forum is unworthy of a read. I check in once in a while, read the garbage, shake my head, and then leave. Example: Many many Allen haters since the genius's who wanted Rosen didn't get their way and refused to admit their blatant error. All those supposed Buffalo Bills fans, so close to the team and yet so wrong about the most important position on the team. Then, the non stop criticism of every aspect of his game from these scorned naysayers. Fortunately they have mostly gone into hiding until the opportunity allows them  the slimmest of cracks to spout. It used to be entertaining but it is truly not worth it.

• Like (+1) 2