How confident are you that Josh Allen will be our starter for the next 3 years+

rayray808

How confident are you that Josh Allen will be our starter for the next 3 years+  

379 members have voted

1. 1. How confident are you that Josh Allen will be our starter for the next 3 years+

• 10%
    • 20%
    • 30%
    • 40%
    • 50%
    • 60%
    • 70%
    • 80%
    • 90%
    • 100%

2 hours ago, Tim Tindale said:

I’m surprised it’s a debate, but I guess I shouldn’t be.  We’ve been wandering in the desert for 20 years, finally find an oasis, and some fans complain that the water isn’t Evian.  Then again, in the late-1980’s/early-1990’s, the same percentage of the fanbase wanted Kelly shipped out in favor of Reich (especially after the 1989 Bickering Bills disaster). 

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1990-12-23-sp-9648-story.html

Kelly probably would have fared worse than Allen on this poll after that 1989 season, right before four SB appearances.  The quarterback gets criticism when the team doesn’t go 19-0 and laments that said quarterback isn’t Tom Brady or Joe Montana.  Circle of life... ride the wave, enjoy Allen while he’s here (what a gamer), stop lamenting that we don’t have a first ballot Hall of Farmer, and remember what the 2000’s (and 1970s and most of the 1980s) were like.

On to the playoffs!  

Was Jim Kelly a bottom third QB when fans when fans wanted Reich? Of course not...it’s apples to oranges and there is legitimate concern here that shouldn’t be marginalized.

9 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

That's much too simple an analysis.  

He has huge accuracy problems against all opponents.

It doesn't matter how good or bad a DB is if he is beaten but Allen can't physically get the ball to the receiver.

Allen's main problem is that he can't string entire games or even entire quarters together with strong play.

Why? Because he is not good enough to do so.

My fear is that he will be perceived as "good enough" to get a long look and it will take a long time to finally move on from him.  During that time, the Bills will not be a serious contender for anything.

Depending upon what you mean by it, Allen *is* good enough to get a long look.

There are two mistakes teams can make after they draft a qb

1) moving on too soon

2) moving on too late

There are always exceptions, but most of the QB who come into the league show warts and limitations their first seasons. 

The question is what are they, and are they things that are fixable with more time and work.

You pretty much need the guy's first contract to figure it out.

17 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

This post contributes absolutely nothing to the one you responded to...congrats...?

The post i responded to, was responding to something i said last night. I feel josh allens production is a direct reflection of the opponent he plays against. He actually had a pretty good game last night, for playing against one of the best defenses in the league.

1 minute ago, wagon127 said:

The post i responded to, was responding to something i said last night. I feel josh allens production is a direct reflection of the opponent he plays against. He actually had a pretty good game last night, for playing against one of the best defenses in the league.

Fair enough

10 hours ago, zonabb said:

100% because he's like so many other mediocre QBs who were first rounders. Teams draft these guys, they have serious flaws but don't entirely crash and burn. So teams, esp. GMs, don't and won't admit they should draft someone again after a 3rd straight year of stagnation. So they get to the 4th year, opt into the 5th and there you go, Allen for 5 yrs. And I'll bet anyone $10,000 that he'll never have a season over 65% completion.

And who cares about that if he is leading the team consistently to the Playoffs?

and doesn’t matter anyway you would never pay up. 

I see the Josh haters (so desperate to say see my pre draft thinking was right) are out in force right now. 

10 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

I don't see a "huge" improvement. 

I see us squeaking out wins against terrible opponents.  I see a defense that carried us to the playoffs.  I see a qb who is completing 58% on the season and is averaging under 50% in our losses.  I see a schedule that will be much harder next year because of our success next year.  

If Allen doesn't take a huge step forward next year we could be in serious trouble by late October. 

I know it hurts a lot of people's feelings to say this because Allen is a great human being and a very likeable person, but Im not seeing a franchise Qb in the making.  

how many games did the Defense score points to win football games. I thought it was the Allen led offense that did. 

Which defensive player is tied for 2nd accounting for the most TDs in a season for the Franchise?  I swear it is Allen that has done that. 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Was Jim Kelly a bottom third QB when fans when fans wanted Reich? Of course not...it’s apples to oranges and there is legitimate concern here that shouldn’t be marginalized.

The bottom third is your take, not a fact. Your performance in the GDT tells me you believe Allen to suck.  I'm curious about these legit concerns? 

He has shown a lot of improvement in many aspects of his game, but after two full seasons, he is still missing open receivers a lot, and routinely putting the wrong trajectory on throws over 20 yards.

I think he might pull it together, but if he continues to throw the way he throws, it could force a tough decision down the road. They can't count on the D being this good every year. 

And Allen’s problems are easily fixable. 

he has the arm talent that maybe 1 or 2 QBs have in this league. The Dime to Brown For the TD  has shown that a lot of throws shown that. 

people will counter with he is inaccurate. The good thing is most of inaccurate throws come from improper footwork (this IS fixable). 

thing about footwork is it takes work ethic to fix. Which Allen has also shown he has 

• Like (+1) 1

He’s played less than 2 seasons of NFL football.  The young man has played some heavy hitters the last month and never backed down.  Almost won both patsies games, almost beat the Ravens.  Destroyed the cowboys on national TV.

He (mostly) learns from his mistakes and will come back next year even better.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, MDH said:

I said 40%. He is a true boom or bust prospect. If he puts it all together and the game slows down for him and he learns to dissect defenses while continuing to work on his footwork he will be a stud.

If it doesn’t all come together I see a frustrating QB who wows us on occasion but drives us crazy with his inconsistencies more often than not. 

I do love that he is a willing student and truly seems able to take coaching and improve but I have my doubts that he’ll ever put it all together.

unless he really bottoms out, those guys tend to hang around even if they don’t put it together. Hard to move on from a “he can do it all with just a little more polish” guy early 

18 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

The bottom third is your take, not a fact. Your performance in the GDT tells me you believe Allen to suck.  I'm curious about these legit concerns? 

Clearly you only cherry pick and choose what to remember of my posts...I’ve always been and continue to be equal opportunity when it comes to Allen- neither a homer nor a hater...when he plays poorly I criticize, when he plays great I praise him for it...

Allen being bottom third is not me making it up, it’s his QB rating, QBR, and completion %, among other things that say so...

6 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Clearly you only cherry pick and choose what to remember of my posts...I’ve always been and continue to be equal opportunity when it comes to Allen- neither a homer nor a hater...when he plays poorly I criticize, when he plays great I praise him for it...

Allen being bottom third is not me making it up, it’s his QB rating, QBR, and completion %, among other things that say so...

be fair and objective  Allen isnt operating the 2000 Rams offense  Bills still have below average playmakers and O line  He had a ton of pressure in his face thanks to facing endless third and longs Not many qbs are going to look good with Cody Ford blocking on the edge with no help and zero running game.  When he has time he's pretty spot on with exception of the deep shots. 

5 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Yeah you are equal opportunity all right. You're perfectly objective in your mind. Your a hater and you know it.

31 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So what is that "legitimate concern" in your eyes?

Well, stating the obvious, his completion is around last in the NFL...the fact that he requires near perfect mechanics to throw when you have guys like Mahomes, Watson, Jackson and Wilson (all guys the bills had chances to draft) that can complete all kinds of passes throwing off platform is very discouraging....he is two years in and still doesn’t have a season of 60% completion.

Now, passing for 300 yards isn’t a stat that tells a whole lot...but when you have rookie QBs doing it with ease and Allen can’t come close to sniffing 300 after 25 games, it makes you question why it’s like “pulling teeth” for him.

His situational awareness has been suspect...however I was pleased to finally see him score for the first time at the end of regulation last night...

He’s completed 3 deep balls the passed two games which is good...but he still had a handful of overthrows last night that should have been completed and likely would have won the game...and they were just overthrows- they weren’t even close...

I think these are all legitimate concerns for people...Josh Allen is requiring a lot of patience, and we aren’t sure if he can get any better than he already is...We are seeing young QBs pass him by and it can certainly be frustrating at times.