Why We Will Struggle in the Playoffs

I love McDermott and know he is the right coach for this team.

However after watching game film of this game he is going to realize that our offense plays much better in the no huddle/ hurry up.  All our scores today came when they weren't huddling and putting pressure on the Defense. It gives us more time to make adjustments and less time for them and keeps them on their heals. It doesn't need to be 11 personnel either, go 21, 22 whatever just move with urgency and hurry the hell up!

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Offensive struggles?  Please. This game was lost by poor tackling from our precious defense and horrendous conservative coaching once we got the lead. 

That didn't help but it was obvious the offense sucked when it huddled and and didn't when they didn't.

• Like (+1) 1

The defense lost this game, period. No way that Pat’s offense should put 24 points on the board, especially when the offense didn’t turn the ball over and give them any seriously short fields. Poor tackling was a big factor for sure. The defense has always told the offense get us 17points and we will do the rest. Well, not today.

Still all in all a really good playoff type game. surely nothing to hang their heads about.

• Like (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Offensive struggles?  Please. This game was lost by poor tackling from our precious defense and horrendous conservative coaching once we got the lead. 

Sony is the softest RB in the league and all night he got extra yards.

Edited by BananaB
  • Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Tough to argue both points. 

21 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

That didn't help but it was obvious the offense sucked when it huddled and and didn't when they didn't.

Also tough to argue.

Win as a team, lose as a team. 
It’s that simple. They lost as a team today. 
If everyone wants to argue over who is more to blame I’ll enjoy the hot takes lol

But there’s 4 ways it can go tonight. 
Allen

Daboll

Offensive line 

Defense

maybe 5 cause we want to blame officials too

crap 6 now cause ya know duke.. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Josh is a playmaker. Period. It's obvious and consistent. Trying to make him a game manager puts restraints on him. I think we're a better, more dangerous team, and possible great team if the shackles are taken off 

Here here let him play now

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Josh is a playmaker. Period. It's obvious and consistent. Trying to make him a game manager puts restraints on him. I think we're a better, more dangerous team, and possible great team if the shackles are taken off 

I'm starting to doubt we will ever see it under McDermott.  This keep it close obsession he has is going to limit this team

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

we are, and as it stands right now the hurry up is our best chance of winning. If we do this slow huddle in the playoffs we might win a game, depending on opponent.

4 hours ago, Bleedbuffaloblue said:

The defense lost this game, period. No way that Pat’s offense should put 24 points on the board, especially when the offense didn’t turn the ball over and give them any seriously short fields. Poor tackling was a big factor for sure. The defense has always told the offense get us 17points and we will do the rest. Well, not today.

Still all in all a really good playoff type game. surely nothing to hang their heads about.

the Defense had its struggles but if the offense was put on full tilt we win this game, no need to use the huddle and get to the line late and let the defense dictate our actions.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Win as a team, lose as a team. 
It’s that simple. They lost as a team today. 
If everyone wants to argue over who is more to blame I’ll enjoy the hot takes lol

But there’s 4 ways it can go tonight. 
Allen

Daboll

Offensive line 

Defense

maybe 5 cause we want to blame officials too

crap 6 now cause ya know duke.. 

This is not a hot take . Not using the no huddle consistently IS THE REASON for this teams offensive failures. When they use it we score more and if you score more you win more, its that simple.

3 hours ago, DuckyBoys said:

I'm starting to doubt we will ever see it under McDermott.  This keep it close obsession he has is going to limit this team

it is.

We turned the corner after the Cleveland loss and put up three impressive wins in a row but we struggled against the ravens and it welp that's it lets go back to our old clunker ways. Barely worked against Pittsburgh because their QB is a duck, but when you play good teams its not going to get the job done.

6 hours ago, whorlnut said:

It wasn’t one thing.  Allen hits Knox in the endzone on the last drive and it’s tied.  It was a group effort loss 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

It seems so obvious. 

it does, he figured it out 6 wks ago, hopefully after this game he will go back to it. He has always been a defensive guy and has a process and its probably hard for him to embrace an aggressive offense as he believes the other way is the way to winning, but after watching film of today and last week has to re-emphasise that the ravens game was an aberration and that right now the no huddle is what is best for this team. Maybe in the future we can huddle up and be effective but right now its no consistent enough for wins.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Virgil said:

It wasn’t one thing.  Allen hits Knox in the endzone on the last drive and it’s tied.  It was a group effort loss 

That was not an easy pass. Yes, we would love for him to hit it but he cannot risk it being short. He missed Knox earlier on an even harder one. It looked fairly easy but it was not at all. A lot of times the TV angles are grossly inadequate. 

That said, even though neither of those two passes were easy for anyone, you would have liked for him to hit one of the two. Anyone who thinks those were routine passes knows nothing. It needs to be a near perfect pass. 

Edited by Kelly the Dog
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Step by step.  This year it’s clear that they purposely have put him in the game manager sort of role.  The idea is to let the defense hold teams down, have a strong ground game and limit Allen’s mistakes.   I get that isn’t where Allen will thrive in this league but that was and is the plan for this year.

Next year when Allen shows even more growth in camp and preseason Daboll will loosen the shackles even more.   I am very confident of that.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yes, but Josh needs to fix his mechanics and be better on some of these throws.

With the errant passes he throws now, having him sling it will result in even more.

The kid is a baller and I love everything about him, but he's gotta fix the footwork so it's more consistent before we turn him loose.