If Ngakoue were available, would be be a fit for next year

FLBillsGuy

On 12/19/2019 at 10:12 AM, DrDawkinstein said:

If he's a true outside DE then yes. He'd be a good upgrade to Shaq who will most likely walk in FA. If I had to overpay for one of them I'd probably go with Ngakoue.

If it were up to me, MY defensive line would be:

DE: Hughes - Draft Pick

1Tech: Harry - Vince Taylor

3Tech: JPhillips - Oliver

DE: Ngakoue

Still need a couple more players to pad the depth, but that would be my plan for starters, assuming we can't bring Shaq back on a reasonable deal.

Edit:

Cutting Star saves us $2M

Cutting Murphy saves us $7M

I'm ok with cutting both and throwing that money at Lawson to keep him in the rotation...

DE: Ngakoue - Lawson

Thinking about my edit option, where we sign everyone. Let's see what those numbers look like...

Hughes $9.5M

Harry $0.9M

VTaylor $0.75M

JPhillips ~$13M

Oliver $4.5M

Ngakoue ~$15M

Shaq ~$10M

Rookie (2nd Rd) ~$1M

That would be about $55M invested in our DLine next season. Plus, $7.8M in dead cap for cutting Star, and another $1.75M in dead cap for cutting Murphy.

That's almost $65M in the DLine for 2020.

Which seems like a lot, however, we're talking about the trenches here. Where you should be building your team from. Same with all the money invested in OLine. I have no issues with Beane tying up over half our cap space on the Lines (O and D combined). Especially while our young Franchise QB is still on his rookie contract, and even with the other extensions that need to come (Milano, White, Dawkins, etc).

Hughes falls off the books after next year, or at least his dead cap number will be low enough that next year is most likely his last season with us. Then we already have Ngakoue and Shaq and a Rookie to keep the momentum without having to sign anyone new. So that number goes down to about $45M invested in the DLine for 2021 (which will be when all the new contracts and extensions referenced above really kick in.

Git'r'dun, Mr. BEane

If he's a true outside DE then yes. He'd be a good upgrade to Shaq who will most likely walk in FA. If I had to overpay for one of them I'd probably go with Ngakoue.

Still need a couple more players to pad the depth, but that would be my plan for starters, assuming we can't bring Shaq back on a reasonable deal.

Edit:

I'm ok with cutting both and throwing that money at Lawson to keep him in the rotation...

We don't need to save money, we have freaking $90+ million in cap space next year.  They are not cutting Star to save $2 million.  It gets so old to hear people talk about how he sucks because he doesn't put up stats(although now he has an INT and a few sacks) when everyone who studies the All-22 raves about him. Murphy, for a $7 million savings I could get on board with IF they are getting someone to replace him who is good.

The danger with trying to start "upgrading" all these pieces is you have no idea how integral any of these players are to the entire defense as a WHOLE and how removing one piece can causes a cascade of issues. First and foremost any added player needs to buy into the team defense concept and do their 1/11th, whether they like what they are being asked to do on a particular play or not.  There is no place in this defense for freelancers which is what  a lot of players on other teams do to some degree or another.  You do that here and you get a seat on the bench or get cut.  So before bringing anyone in they are looking at that and THEN talent.

I mean seriously, we are looking at the 2nd or 3rd best D in the NFL and we are worried about getting rid of players and upgrading it?  Worry about the offense, this defense will be just fine.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

We don't need to save money, we have freaking $90+ million in cap space next year.  They are not cutting Star to save $2 million.  It gets so old to hear people talk about how he sucks because he doesn't put up stats(although now he has an INT and a few sacks) when everyone who studies the All-22 raves about him.

I mean seriously, we are looking at the 2nd or 3rd best D in the NFL and we are worried about getting rid of players and upgrading it?  Worry about the offense, this defense will be just fine.

Not "worried" about anything, nor am I hating on Star. I never said he sucks or even made a single comment about his play.

This is all business. How do we maximize the value.

But see my most recent post directly above yours. $65M is a lot to invest into one unit. Worth it for the trenches, but still a lot. Even more ($70M+) if we kept Star. So yeah, I'm looking for ways to improve and save some cash. Nothing against Star, but he is replaceable.

And yeah, we should always be looking to improve and upgrade. Especially when 2 key components of this successful line are set to leave after this season. This is a discussion on how to maintain AND improve.

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Not "worried" about anything, nor am I hating on Star. I never said he sucks or even made a single comment about his play.

This is all business. How do we maximize the value.

But see my most recent post directly above yours. $65M is a lot to invest into one unit. Worth it for the trenches, but still a lot. Even more ($70M+) if we kept Star. So yeah, I'm looking for ways to improve and save some cash. Nothing against Star, but he is replaceable.

And yeah, we should always be looking to improve and upgrade. Especially when 2 key components of this successful line are set to leave after this season. This is a discussion on how to maintain AND improve.

Not necessarily with the salary cap constantly going up.  That percentage keeps getting smaller and smaller every year. Wait til 2021 with the new TV contracts and see how much the cap will be jumping.

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Thinking about my edit option, where we sign everyone. Let's see what those numbers look like...

Hughes $9.5M

Harry $0.9M

VTaylor $0.75M

JPhillips ~$13M

Oliver $4.5M

Ngakoue ~$15M

Shaq ~$10M

Rookie (2nd Rd) ~$1M

That would be about $55M invested in our DLine next season. Plus, $7.8M in dead cap for cutting Star, and another $1.75M in dead cap for cutting Murphy.

That's almost $65M in the DLine for 2020.

Which seems like a lot, however, we're talking about the trenches here. Where you should be building your team from. Same with all the money invested in OLine. I have no issues with Beane tying up over half our cap space on the Lines (O and D combined). Especially while our young Franchise QB is still on his rookie contract, and even with the other extensions that need to come (Milano, White, Dawkins, etc).

Hughes falls off the books after next year, or at least his dead cap number will be low enough that next year is most likely his last season with us. Then we already have Ngakoue and Shaq and a Rookie to keep the momentum without having to sign anyone new. So that number goes down to about $45M invested in the DLine for 2021 (which will be when all the new contracts and extensions referenced above really kick in.

Git'r'dun, Mr. BEane

I'd honestly be shocked if Shaq only gets $10M per year.

7 minutes ago, Gambit said:

I'd honestly be shocked if Shaq only gets $10M per year.

Could be more but I dont think much. I see him in FA being close to how Trent Murphy was viewed a couple years ago and we gave him 3/$22M. Factor in inflation, and I think he'll be very close to the $10M average. Maybe a 4/$40M deal, depending on guarantees.

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Hughes $9.5M

Harry $0.9M

VTaylor $0.75M

JPhillips ~$13M

Oliver $4.5M

Ngakoue ~$15M

Shaq ~$10M

Rookie (2nd Rd) ~$1M   Star $10.1  (No need to Draft a DLman at all this year.  Use the 2nd for Offense).

That's almost $65M in the DLine for 2020.  That's almost $66M in the DLine for 2020.

Star gets cut and Hughes gets traded in 2021.  That's when you draft a DL high.

Why not this?

He could be the perfect addition.  He’s 24, can take the reigns from Jerry when he runs out of gas.  He gets pressure consistently.  6’2 246 DE is almost a Hughes clone

are we ok paying he and Jordan Phillips 35+ mill between them?  Do we then let Shaq and Murphy go?  Maybe star too?  Big decisions on the horizon for BB. 

Seems like we have an abundance of players at DT. I don't know if we're going to pay top line money for Phillips. As for Shaq, he looks like he transformed his body this year and good for him. Since we haven't signed him yet (or any of our other fa's) I wonder what Beane is thinking. I would rather dump money into the O and let next year play out on the DL.

Could this dude play the Lorax role too? Maybe that would provide enough value and flexibility for us to commit to him.

On 12/19/2019 at 8:42 AM, whatdrought said:

I get it and I don't disagree. We just lack a true edge rusher who can consistently get after the QB and make plays when we need it most. Our front 7 is doing a ton to generate pressure, but that's primarily with blitzes and with tricks. Right now that works cause our pass defense is so damn good. I'd still like a 10+ sack edge rusher whose going to be the focus of the other teams OL. If that's FA, so be it. If it's the draft, that's fine as well. 

I agree completely, we tend to not generate pressure off the edge consistently. Phillips is the best pass rusher and he does it from the interior.. Hughes is a nice pass rusher if he has someone who can command a lot of attention opposite the other edge. Shaq is a good rotational player who adds value being stout against the run. Trent Murphy is either a JAG or just above replacement level as a rotational player. Johnson is a developmental player who is at this stage only should get limited snaps. 

This team does need a prime time edge rusher who can get 9-12 sacks a year and command a lot of double teams. The Bills in my opinion should make finding a big time edge rusher their only major 10+ million aav add to the roster in the off-season. Ngakoue would be the perfect add, resign Spain, Shaq, and Phillips while adding an edge rusher while extending Milano, Tre, and Dawkins would very possible given their cap situation and that they can add a WR in round 1. 

Edit:

Oliver ain't backing up nobody next year.

11 minutes ago, SteveFreeman22 said:

Currently, he and Phillips have 52% of defensive snaps. Jerry is tops at 68% and Trent follows with 64%. Kyle had 68 and 64 % under McD, so if they did this with Ed, then you raise a good point wrt to a significant investment in Phillips? If Ed gets over 60% of the Snaps next year, I could see him posting double digit sacks. 

A similar issue with Ngakoue, he is not a LDE, so he’d share time with Hughes. I don’t see this happening, but that’s why I’ve said the DL will be the most interesting decisions for Beane. 

If they think Johnson is ready to take a bigger role, then they could go with him and Trent at LDE next year and let Shaq walk. 

Man, I’m talking myself out of my original position...anything is possible, and I’m glad we have Beane and McD making the decisions!

22 hours ago, SteveFreeman22 said:

I hope not :thumbsup:

But they dont back anyone up either way. It's a rotation on the DL. The term "starter" is pretty meaningless. Just means who plays the first snap.

I simply listed in order of contract expense.

7 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Not for me. I would spell it out for you, but I don't see you showing your work either. 

Pretty much every person who understands how the cap works has said hard choices will eventually have to get made. Not now but I’m two years, even in the event we don’t sign the high prices free agent. So what do you know that they don’t?

Edited by JoshAllenHasBigHands

Just now, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Pretty much every person who understands how the cap has worked has said hard choices will eventually have to get made, Not now but I’m two years, even in the event we don’t sign the high prices free agent. So what do you know that they don’t?

That's a pretty vague description of what will happen. They currently have a TON of cap space for next year. Also, Hughes, Star, and Murphy will all probably be off the books by 2021 creating even more space and need for Lawson, Phillips, Ngakoue(or another Free agent DE). We should be talking about how they are gonna be able to spend all that money while Josh is on a rookie deal, not acting scared that we might have to pass on another Murphy 3 years from now.

1 minute ago, Chemical said:

That's a pretty vague description of what will happen. They currently have a TON of cap space for next year. Also, Hughes, Star, and Murphy will all probably be off the books by 2021 creating even more space and need for Lawson, Phillips, Ngakoue(or another Free agent DE). We should be talking about how they are gonna be able to spend all that money while Josh is on a rookie deal, not acting scared that we might have to pass on another Murphy 3 years from now.

Murphy should be gone next year...

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Here is a list of guys that will get 10+ million extensions this offseason or next:

white

milano

edmunds

dawkins

poyer

hyde

potentially Allen

Those are just the big contracts. cutting those guys don’t get us the space we need in two years. Your approach will turn us into the rams. 

5 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Here is a list of guys that will get 10+ million extensions this offseason or next:

white

milano

edmunds

dawkins

poyer

hyde

potentially Allen

Those are just the big contracts. cutting those guys don’t get us the space we need in two years. Your approach will turn us into the rams. 

Sorry, but they won't pay Milano, Poyer, or Hyde $10 mil or more.  Allen and Edmunds won't see contract extensions until 2022.

Edited by TPS

6 minutes ago, TPS said:

Sorry, but they won't pay Milano, Poyer, or Hyde $10 mil or more.  Allen and Edmunds won't see contract extensions until 2022.

Let me put it this way. Those guys will get those contracts. It’s just whether you want the bills to be the ones giving them out. Make no mistake, those three and white make this defense go. What do you think we look like without them?

@JoshAllenHasBigHands

Let's assume we are ONLY signing our own players over the next couple years to see what's left over for Free Agents.

Spotrac has a tool for some players where they calculate a players market value. At first glance they have Tre While undervalued IMO at 14mil/per, while Milano is overvalued at 13.3mil/per. So let's call that a wash and say 27mil for both players.

Let's say 10mil. average each for Edmunds, Dawkins, Hyde and Poyer: 40 mil. Hell I'll even add another 10 mil just to be safe. 50 mil. We will factor in Allen later since it's still up in the air.

77 mil. for our own players. We currently have around 90 mil in space for just next offseason BEFORE cutting Murphy and maybe Kroft.

Also consider those players being re-signed above are already being paid part of that 77mil. so the increase is what cuts into the future cap space not the total.

Since we are talking about 2-4 years down the line I'll just approximate future cap space based on this offseason's current cap space plus players' salaries who will be off the books by 2022 AND players' current non-rookie salaries who were re-signed (Hyde, Poyer).  I'll leave rookie salaries on the books since there will be draft picks replacing them. Keep in mind the cap will be going up also.

90 mil cap space + (Star's 10) + (Hughe's 9.5) + (Murphy 9) + (NSekhe 5) + (Kroft 6.6) + (Hyde 6.7) + (Poyer 4) + (Long 4) + (Smith 3) = 148 Million

148 - 77 = 71 million dollars left for Allen and outside free agents.

I could also assume Beasley and his 7 million are gone by then as he will be 33 and have virtually no cap penalty to cut.

I left players like Yeldon, Roberts and Hauschka on the books assuming similar players will be signed.

Edit: I forgot to add Lawson and Phillips since I was going off of @JoshAllenHasBigHands's list of our own players to re-sign. It seemed like too much cap space, but ~$50 million is still plenty.

Edited by Chemical
Adding players

5 minutes ago, Chemical said:

@JoshAllenHasBigHands

Let's assume we are ONLY signing our own players over the next couple years to see what's left over for Free Agents.

Spotrac has a tool for some players where they calculate a players market value. At first glance they have Tre While undervalued IMO at 14mil/per, while Milano is overvalued at 13.3mil/per. So let's call that a wash and say 27mil for both players.

Let's say 10mil. average each for Edmunds, Dawkins, Hyde and Poyer: 40 mil. Hell I'll even add another 10 mil just to be safe. 50 mil. We will factor in Allen later since it's still up in the air.

77 mil. for our own players. We currently have around 90 mil in space for just next offseason BEFORE cutting Murphy and maybe Kroft.

Also consider those players being re-signed above are already being paid part of that 67mil. so the increase is what cuts into the future cap space not the total.

Since we are talking about 2-4 years down the line I'll just approximate future cap space based on this offseason's current cap space plus players' salaries who will be off the books by 2022 AND players' current non-rookie salaries who were re-signed (Hyde, Poyer).  I'll leave rookie salaries on the books since there will be draft picks replacing them. Keep in mind the cap will be going up also.

90 mil cap space + (Star's 10) + (Hughe's 9.5) + (Murphy 9) + (NSekhe 5) + (Kroft 6.6) + (Hyde 6.7) + (Poyer 4) + (Long 4) + (Smith 3) = 148 Million

I could also assume Beasley and his 7 million are gone by then as he will be 33 and have virtually no cap penalty to cut.

I left players like Yeldon, Roberts and Hauschka on the books assuming similar players will be signed.

Great post. Give me some time and I’ll get back to you. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Chemical said:

@JoshAllenHasBigHands

Also consider those players being re-signed above are already being paid part of that 77mil. so the increase is what cuts into the future cap space not the total.

Edit: I forgot to add Lawson and Phillips since I was going off of @JoshAllenHasBigHands's list of our own players to re-sign. It seemed like too much cap space, but ~$50 million is still plenty.

Good thing I checked the new posts, as I was almost about to post something similar...

Btw, the other thing that is starting to happen is the grooming of replacements.  For example, I won't be surprised to see Jaquan Johnson become a starter at S in 2021.  Then there's Vosean Joseph and Dodson at LB.  After the 2020 draft, the Bills should be a very good place going forward.

Edited by TPS

1 hour ago, Chemical said:

They simply don’t have the space for all those players. I know it looks like they have a ton of room but they have a lot of contracts coming up.

Im not going to get I to all the specifics because it would take a long ass time but there are several sites and podcasts that have laid out what’s coming up and it will be difficult to sign both Shaq and Phillips much less adding another expensive FA in addition.

They’re going to have to make some choices. Personally I think they let both Shaq and Phillips walk because they have both likely priced themselves out of contracts that accurately reflect their play on the field. Both are good players but neither deserves a huge contract but both will likely get one somewhere.

I’d be all for canning Murphy and giving his money to Shaq if he’d take it, I’m not sure he would though. 

Id love to see them take a run at Ngakoue though. He is a DE who is worth a big contract.

1 minute ago, MDH said:

They simply don’t have the space for all those players. I know it looks like they have a ton of room but they have a lot of contracts coming up.

Im not going to get I to all the specifics because it would take a long ass time but there are several sites and podcasts that have laid out what’s coming up and it will be difficult to sign both Shaq and Phillips much less adding another expensive FA in addition.

They’re going to have to make some choices. Personally I think they let both Shaq and Phillips walk because they have both likely priced themselves out of contracts that accurately reflect their play on the field. Both are good players but neither deserves a huge contract but both will likely get one somewhere.

I’d be all for canning Murphy and giving his money to Shaq if he’d take it, I’m not sure he would though. 

Id love to see them take a run at Ngakoue though. He is a DE who is worth a big contract.

See my post above 

2 minutes ago, Chemical said:

See my post above 

Just read it, not bad but you’re undervaluing what kind of contracts these players will demand Imo.

Tre will get $17M minimum. Milano will get $12-13M. Dawkins and Edmunds will both get north of $10m. I think you’re about right for the safeties.

They have to make a decision on Spain too. He is on a one year deal. Maybe Long takes over, maybe not.

Beane will reserve $10M for draft picks and prob another $5 or so for injury replacements and such during the season.

It all starts adding up and suddenly you don’t have enough for everybody and FAs.

4 minutes ago, MDH said:

Just read it, not bad but you’re undervaluing what kind of contracts these players will demand Imo.

Tre will get $17M minimum. Milano will get $12-13M. Dawkins and Edmunds will both get north of $10m. I think you’re about right for the safeties.

They have to make a decision on Spain too. He is on a one year deal. Maybe Long takes over, maybe not.

Beane will reserve $10M for draft picks and prob another $5 or so for injury replacements and such during the season.

It all starts adding up and suddenly you don’t have enough for everybody and FAs.

Not trying to be confrontational, but you just said exactly what I spelled out. White(17), Milano (13), Edmunds(13), Dawkins(13), Poyer(10), Hyde(10) = about $77 million

How am I undervaluing? I'm fine with criticism, but you seem to agree with me on the total for those players.

On 12/19/2019 at 9:12 AM, DrDawkinstein said:

Edit:

Cutting Star is still $8M hit in dead money.... dude was given a bad contract. He going no where next year.

45 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Not trying to be confrontational, but you just said exactly what I spelled out. White(17), Milano (13), Edmunds(13), Dawkins(13), Poyer(10), Hyde(10) = about $77 million

How am I undervaluing? I'm fine with criticism, but you seem to agree with me on the total for those players.

I thought I read 10M for Edmunds and Dawkins and 27M total for White and Milano.