Lamar Jackson: I'll Be Having That Crow Pot Pie Now (edited title)

H2o

One of my close friends is a Ravens fan and I tell him every week that Lamar is trash.  I can’t help myself.  

While he is playing insane right now, I just can’t see it lasting.  I give qb’s like him a full two year playing window before something else happens.  

If he’s still a regular starter and lighting up teams in the 2021 season, I will eat all kinds of crow.   For now, I still think it’s a gimmick that people haven’t caught up to or he hasn’t taken a real hit yet.  Both are more likely than him keeping this up.  

I only see him surviving if he adjusts like Russel Wilson, but I don’t think he’s a good enough passer for that 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Stank_Nasty said:

no. not even close. he doesn't say he hasn't gotten done as a passer. he says he still sees weaknesses...… and comparing jacksons production to taylors is freaking stupid. I don't know how much more I could emphasize that.

Please stop.    You just want to find a reason to give me crap.  

Lets not act like I said he totally sucks.   2.0 is actually a compliment 

Just now, Stank_Nasty said:

no. not even close. he doesn't say he hasn't gotten done as a passer. he says he still sees weaknesses...… and comparing jacksons production to taylors is freaking stupid. I don't know how much more I could emphasize that.

I think he absolutely has got it done as a passer. Some of the passing lanes he is exploiting are there because of the overall construct of the offense and the fact they have been able to play from ahead so much in recent weeks. But that isn't a negative. At the moment when his team have needed him to make a play in the passing game at critical moments - that last long drive against New England, or when that game yesterday locked at 0-0 mid 2nd Quarter and he threw the first TD pass right on the money - he has been making them.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Please stop.    You just want to find a reason to give me crap.  

Lets not act like I said he totally sucks.   2.0 is actually a compliment 

if our qb was a top 5 rated passer, top ten in YPA, and was on pace for 30 td and only 8 int would you say he wasn't getting it done as a passer?

we both know the answer to that question.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

To think there were actually fans out there who wanted Harbaugh fired.

I know, right?  To his credit he went 100% "all in" on Lamar and this style of offense.  Once you get past Belichick it's hard to rank anyone ahead of him.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I think he absolutely has got it done as a passer. Some of the passing lanes he is exploiting are there because of the overall construct of the offense and the fact they have been able to play from ahead so much in recent weeks. But that isn't a negative. At the moment when his team have needed him to make a play in the passing game at critical moments - that last long drive against New England, or when that game yesterday locked at 0-0 mid 2nd Quarter and he threw the first TD pass right on the money - he has been making them.

@SlimShady'sGhost

Just now, eball said:

I know, right?  To his credit he went 100% "all in" on Lamar and this style of offense.  Once you get past Belichick it's hard to rank anyone ahead of him.

I have argued he is the 2nd best coach in the league for about 5 years. He is Belichick like in that his teams often start slow while he works out what he has and each year's team always looks and plays slightly different from the previous year's. I can take an argument for Pete Carroll who I think has done a brilliant job recasting the Seahawks post the LOB era... but it is him or Harbaugh for that #2 spot for me.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Tell me ....   Why should I care about him?  

He's Tyrod Taylor 2.0. 

One of the worst takes in the history of this board. In 10 games in his second year, he has more tds than Taylor had on an entire season. He also has a higher completion % than any season Taylor ever had.

if Allen was doing this, you’d be falling over and praising him. Your bias is showing.

• Sad 1

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

One of the worst takes in the history of this board. In 10 games in his second year, he has more tds than Taylor had on an entire season. He also has a higher completion % than any season Taylor ever had.

if Allen was doing this, you’d be falling over and praising him. Your bias is showing.

we don't agree much. but we are on the same page here.

if allens passing line projections looked like this:

3600 yds

8.2 ypa

66% comp

106 rating

30 td

8 int

we would ALL say he's getting it done as a passer.

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Lamar is defining what it means to "play fearless."

• Haha (+1) 1

Sign me up on the crow. I am still in shock at what Lamar is doing.  I keep thinking he's going to fail too or get hurt. We've got to give it a few years to pan out, but for the now, Lamar is the leader.  

I hate that I feel Josh is being neutered but I can see him getting better reading the defense, making anticipation throws and going through progressions. Lamar is not doing that as much. He is taking advantage of an offensive philosophy that plays to his strengths. Next year will be a true test, when teams have had an off-season to make adjustments and figure out how to defend that offense. 

For the 10 year haul, we may have our man. I hope so. If Josh is Aaron Rodgers to Lamar's Michael Vick, I'll take Josh any day of the week.

Isn't it funny that two of Tyrod's biggest fans are giving me grief over Lamar. 

I've seen a lot of the highlight reels and BLOWN coverage have made him look "great".  Hes till LOBS the ball which can be dangerous. 

Am I surprised he's done well?  Sure.     That doesn't mean I need to kiss his ass.  

he's like a tyrod taylor with more talent and most importantly a green light.  tyrod had so little trust in his own ability to make passing plays (or fear of turnovers) that all the d had to do was take away the first read or two and he just turned into a turtle in the pocket.

jackson hasn't shown that at all -- altho the pass rush from the chargers in the play offs just smoked him.

let's hope the bills can do that to him in buffalo too.

Lamar might be the biggest story in the NFL this season.  Very few QBs even among first rounders play as well as he has so early in their careers.  Hopefully he can stay healthy as he definitely takes risks with his running.  He's fun to watch.  Passing-wise in what little I've seen of him he looks to have a great command of the offense and is throwing the ball very well.  He's obviously put in a lot of work to get to where he is so quickly.  Bravo. 

10 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

we don't agree much. but we are on the same page here.

if allens passing line projections looked like this:

3600 yds

8.2 ypa

66% comp

106 rating

30 td

8 int

we would ALL say he's getting it done as a passer.

You should start agreeing with me more and you’d right more often. ? and as one of Allen’s critics, I’d be beyond thrilled and sing his praises if this was his statline.  

I have been watching game highlights of him recently to better understand how he has taken such a big jump in year 2. Three things jumped out to me:

1) a lot of his passes are simple bootlegs to his TEs or RBs. He is very accurate and those small passes seem to be easy 8-yard gains.

2) for the balls he throws downfield, his receivers get a lot more separation and make big high-pointed catches for him. He is throwing slants to guys that have 2-3 yards of cushion. 

3) Ingram is a beast. Their running game puts Jackson in good 2nd and 3rd down spots.

This isn’t to take away from Jackson, but it makes me wonder whether we could do a better job at setting JA to succeed here like Baltimore is doing. 

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Your Brown Eye said:

The Bills passed on Mahomes, Watson and Jackson, that should make any Bills fan blush more than a proctology exam

All 32 teams passed on Tom Brady back in 2000 and everyone also passed on Russell Wilson, and even the teams that didn't pass on Mahomes .. if they knew then what they know now they would have pushed all in to get to the top of the draft to get him. The problem with cherry picking the winners and saying the Bills should have selected that person is that going into the process while you may have suspected one of these guys would be good .. you really don't know. The goal is to make a good percentage more right decisions than wrong decisions. We should have drafted Mike Evans, we should have drafted Richard Sherman in 2011, we should have drafted Julian Edelman in 2009. You could do this all day .. for the Patriots as well as the Bills