CBA Update - Plus, what changes would you make?

Virgil

7 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I get what dead money is, but I’d still double it down so the players get something.  It’s my compromise to guaranteed contracts, which I don’t think should exist in any sport. 

There are many many players who basically stop performing to have any guaranteed contracts in football.  Players should be paid bonuses based on availability and have part of money taken away if they miss a good portion of playing time for non-injuries (i.e. head cases, suspensions for drugs, etc).

9 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I get what dead money is, but I’d still double it down so the players get something.  It’s my compromise to guaranteed contracts, which I don’t think should exist in any sport. 

You could also say they get paid half their remaining contract, but that would be a bit much to me.  

Again, you could go deep there. Just trying to keep it short and simple 

Disagree. As we are seeing with the AJ Green, Ramsey, Trent situations, they are gaining confidence and willing to sit out.  

NBA is influencing it a bit, in my opinion 

never understood why fans don't just see contracts based on the guarantee to players and how many years that covers, and the add on years at the end really team options that can also help out the cap situation for a team, especially for guys on 2nd contracts. They know 100% what the deal is when the sign. 

11 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Disagree. As we are seeing with the AJ Green, Ramsey, Trent situations, they are gaining confidence and willing to sit out.  

They should eliminate any year accumulation of benefits for players who sit out.  Forget coming back week 10, signing contract or having teams not have money to pay them because they needed to sign replacements.

17 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Oh, then you don’t mean dead money.  I think you mean that players would be paid half of the remaining contract.  Wow.  I don’t see teams or players going for that.  Teams wouldn’t want to be on the hook for more money to players no longer on their team and players would not want money that could go to current players being siphoned off to those that are out of the league. 

Again, I just said dead money as a quick example.

Also, the money being paid after cuts wouldn't count against the cap.  You'd still have the dead money restriction, but the player gets money out of pocket from the owner

26 minutes ago, Virgil said:

You could also say they get paid half their remaining contract, but that would be a bit much to me.  

Again, you could go deep there. Just trying to keep it short and simple 

the NBA is more of a diva league where one player makes a major diff 

the NFL isn’t that kind of culture

the top 10 players in the NFL are never going to demand a trade to whatever team they feel like playing for

38 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Sure they can. The NFPLA complains about injuries and then complained about league requiring certain equipment. Complaining is what NFLPA does.

Nah,  they complain about those things to the press but their decisions are guided by money.

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

I'd for sure keep divisions.

• Cut the preseason in half by two games, add two joint practices per team.
  • Make pass interference a 15 yard penalty with automatic first down.  Eliminate PI replay, its pointless.
  • Make referees full time employees. 

Definitely this. NFL defenses are handcuffed enough already. Pass Interference should not be a 40-50 yard penalty.

As for preseason games, I don't mind if they play 4 games, but have all preseason games played in neutral sights. Have the games played at local college stadiums. The college teams aren't playing at that time and you can draw enough interest for some fans to show up.

It also helps season ticket holders out by not getting stuck to pay $250 for a meaningless practice game.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Definitely this. NFL defenses are handcuffed enough already. Pass Interference should not be a 40-50 yard penalty.

As for preseason games, I don't mind if they play 4 games, but have all preseason games played in neutral sights. Have the games played at local college stadiums. The college teams aren't playing at that time and you can draw enough interest for some fans to show up.

It also helps season ticket holders out by not getting stuck to pay $250 for a meaningless practice game.

Do you honestly think the teams will move these games and take 20% off season ticket prices (2/10 games)?  I do not think so.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/11/13/game-nfl-season-is-becoming-more-likely-league-players-make-progress-labor-deal/

Hopefully this gets done and doesn't turn into another lockout.

As this is happening, what changes would you make to the CBA if you could?  For me:

• Eliminate playing your division teams twice.  Play a second conference series.
  • Playoff seeding based solely off record
  • 2 preseason games + 1 scrimmage
  • 18 game season, 2 bye weeks
  • 7 playoff teams, 1 gets a bye 
  • Eliminate franchise Tag
  • Modify Transition Tag - If home team matches, the contract only counts 80% against their cap.  (ie 100 mil deal only counts as 80 mil).  Get's 2nd round compensation if they don't match
  • Cut players get 50% of dead money from deal
  • Deals, including rookie deals, can't be re-worked until the last last year of contract, unless certain incentives are met.
  • Eliminate Thursday Night Games (I personally like them, but players seem to hate them)
  • Ref grading system.  They can be either fined or removed from future games
  • Teams keep challenges that are won
  • Move Kickoff back to 30 yard line or remove kickoffs altogether
  • Holding becomes a 5 yard penalty
  • Illegal contact no longer an automatic first down
  • Offsetting fouls including personal fouls, not offset.  Personal foul trumps
  • Overtime is a full 15 minutes.  With the TD requirement, some ties came after only two possessions for each team
  • Remove the blackout policy
  • End the priority deals with EA and DirecTv

That's all I got for now, but reserve the right to change my mind

some great stuff here.  I'd even make the regular season shorter (keep at 16), put in 2 bye weeks, if it means we can have more playoff teams.  Love the excitement of the playoffs.  

Not sure I like eliminating the franchise tag.  Perhaps can only use it once at a higher rate?  Provides some nice drama.  (will the player sit, etc.)  

Very much like no re-working 1st contracts unless incentives are met.  

Not sure how I feel about the divisional games only once.   Perhaps play 1/2 the division twice and add a few more non-divisional teams.  Like not playing MIA or Jets twice would be losing a hated rival.  I could do with playing the Pats*** once, even when they eventually go back to irrelevance.  

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Do you honestly think the teams will move these games and take 20% off season ticket prices (2/10 games)?  I do not think so.

Of course they won't.

Yet the NFL talks about how they want to do what's best for the fans. This would be a great thing to do for the fans. Right @Roger Goodell?

14 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I like this idea for a neutral site.  Still don’t think they should play 4 though.  1 at home for each team. 1 on the road.  Then maybe a 3rd a neutral site. 

Owners split rev from 3rd game.  Season Ticket owners buy one less game. 

13 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

So, on a long, down field pass, defenders should just tackle potential receivers as a 15 yard penalty would be preferable to a much longer gain.

You know that would be a common occurrence.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/11/13/game-nfl-season-is-becoming-more-likely-league-players-make-progress-labor-deal/

Hopefully this gets done and doesn't turn into another lockout.

As this is happening, what changes would you make to the CBA if you could?  For me:

• Eliminate playing your division teams twice.  Play a second conference series.
  • Playoff seeding based solely off record
  • 2 preseason games + 1 scrimmage
  • 18 game season, 2 bye weeks
  • 7 playoff teams, 1 gets a bye 
  • Eliminate franchise Tag
  • Modify Transition Tag - If home team matches, the contract only counts 80% against their cap.  (ie 100 mil deal only counts as 80 mil).  Get's 2nd round compensation if they don't match
  • Cut players get 50% of dead money from deal
  • Deals, including rookie deals, can't be re-worked until the last last year of contract, unless certain incentives are met.
  • Eliminate Thursday Night Games (I personally like them, but players seem to hate them)
  • Ref grading system.  They can be either fined or removed from future games
  • Teams keep challenges that are won
  • Move Kickoff back to 30 yard line or remove kickoffs altogether
  • Holding becomes a 5 yard penalty
  • Illegal contact no longer an automatic first down
  • Offsetting fouls including personal fouls, not offset.  Personal foul trumps
  • Overtime is a full 15 minutes.  With the TD requirement, some ties came after only two possessions for each team
  • Remove the blackout policy
  • End the priority deals with EA and DirecTv

That's all I got for now, but reserve the right to change my mind

I like your list but many of the items are not elements of the CBA. 

1 minute ago, cd1 said:

So, on a long, down field pass, defenders should just tackle potential receivers as a 15 yard penalty would be preferable to a much longer gain.

You know that would be a common occurrence.

Probably, but it would also be a 15 yard penalty even when it is a bogus call by the idiot officials.

If i were god of football?

Fold the patriots

Buff out most of preseason.  Start season earlier.  2nd bye week, coincide thursday games with bye weeks. 

Form some sort of practice squad developmental D league with modified rules.

Do some sort of realignment and/or alter the division structure.

Bring back inadvertent 5 yard facemask option.

Eliminate all video review for a year and start from scratch, slowly implementing replay if needed.

2 hours ago, MJS said:

Those are mostly rules changes you presented, not CBA issues.

For the CBA I would change:

- Eliminate 5th year options. Agree for skill positions except QB. O linemen also take longer to develop now and have longer shelf lives. 

- Eliminate compensatory picks (although I doubt this is a CBA issue. I just don't like teams getting rewarded for allowing talent to walk.) The more FAs hit the market the quicker contracts increase... good for players. 

- Eliminate inactive status on game day and change rosters from 53 to 55. This absolutely needs to happen along with another IR return player if the season is expanded. 

- Increase the size of the practice squad. I would like to see that. However, I’d also like to see a “development squad” added in addition to PS. Basically an extra 5 or so spots, and those players cannot be brought up to the active roster in season  The league needs more depth. 

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

PI stays the spot of the foul for the pros

the 15 yards in college is fair because only 1 in 4 college kids could complete an intended pass more than 15 yards down the field

Something just popped into my head that I haven't really dwelled on very much before...

Especially in our division, which is generally full of bad teams and has been that way for a long time...

It is common for me to feel down in anticipation of that second game against division rivals.

This year, the Dolphins and Jets are perfect for this.

Do we really need to see either of those teams again?  These games are total non-events and we sure as hell don't need to play them TWICE in a single season.

Get rid of the double division games!  That rivalry era of football is dead anyway!