CBA Update - Plus, what changes would you make?

Virgil

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/11/13/game-nfl-season-is-becoming-more-likely-league-players-make-progress-labor-deal/

Hopefully this gets done and doesn't turn into another lockout.

As this is happening, what changes would you make to the CBA if you could?  For me:

• Eliminate playing your division teams twice.  Play a second conference series.
  • Playoff seeding based solely off record
  • 2 preseason games + 1 scrimmage
  • 18 game season, 2 bye weeks
  • 7 playoff teams, 1 gets a bye 
  • Eliminate franchise Tag
  • Modify Transition Tag - If home team matches, the contract only counts 80% against their cap.  (ie 100 mil deal only counts as 80 mil).  Get's 2nd round compensation if they don't match
  • Cut players get 50% of dead money from deal
  • Deals, including rookie deals, can't be re-worked until the last last year of contract, unless certain incentives are met.
  • Eliminate Thursday Night Games (I personally like them, but players seem to hate them)
  • Ref grading system.  They can be either fined or removed from future games
  • Teams keep challenges that are won
  • Move Kickoff back to 30 yard line or remove kickoffs altogether
  • Holding becomes a 5 yard penalty
  • Illegal contact no longer an automatic first down
  • Offsetting fouls including personal fouls, not offset.  Personal foul trumps
  • Overtime is a full 15 minutes.  With the TD requirement, some ties came after only two possessions for each team
  • Remove the blackout policy
  • End the priority deals with EA and DirecTv

That's all I got for now, but reserve the right to change my mind

Edited by Virgil

• Eliminate playing your division teams twice.  Play a second conference series.
  • Modify Transition Tag - If home team matches, the contract only counts 80% against their cap.  (ie 100 mil deal only counts as 80 mil).  Get's 2nd round compensation if they don't match
  • Deals, including rookie deals, can't be re-worked until the last last year of contract, unless certain incentives are met.
  • Eliminate Thursday Night Games (I personally like them, but players seem to hate them)
  • Ref grading system.  They can be either fined or removed from future games. ALL existing Refs need to be sacked & replaced by Division 1 players who don’t make the NFL & have significant Wonderlic Scores. Weekly grading. In addition, HD cameras everywhere to determine In Bounds & Touching the Turf wrangling.
  • Move Kickoff back to 30 yard line or remove kickoffs altogether. Remove KOs. There is no use anymore.
  • Overtime is a full 15 minutes.  With the TD requirement, some ties came after only two possessions for each team

I agree with everything else- some much more strongly than others! Great job! ?

19 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I think without playing divisional opponents more, what is the purpose of divisions then?

Just for scheduling purposes. I thought about just saying two conferences, but then you’d almost never play the other conference. 

22 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I think without playing divisional opponents more, what is the purpose of divisions then?

I'm fine getting rid of divisions.

Apparently the season is going to be expanded to 17 games which complicates scheduling.

With 16 teams in each conference, you could play everyone in your conference once (15 games), and then randomly select two teams from the other conference via balls in pots, similar to how they select who is in each group of the World Cup of Soccer. 

Each year you rotate 9 home games and 8 away games, to 8 home games and 9 away games.

Top 6 records in each conference make the playoffs. 

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Just for scheduling purposes. I thought about just saying two conferences, but then you’d almost never play the other conference. 

I don't like it...the division should mean something or else there shouldn't be divisions.

The NFL is never going to get rid of Thursday games...more TV contracts...yes the players hate them but they also don't complain when they are getting more money due to the revenue going up either(in part due to Thursday night contracts)...cant have it both ways.

Those are mostly rules changes you presented, not CBA issues.

For the CBA I would change:

- Eliminate 5th year options.

- Eliminate compensatory picks (although I doubt this is a CBA issue. I just don't like teams getting rewarded for allowing talent to walk.)

- Eliminate inactive status on game day and change rosters from 53 to 55.

- Increase the size of the practice squad.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Those are mostly rules changes you presented, not CBA issues.

For the CBA I would change:

- Eliminate 5th year options.

- Eliminate compensatory picks (although I doubt this is a CBA issue. I just don't like teams getting rewarded for allowing talent to walk.)

- Eliminate inactive status on game day and change rosters from 53 to 55.

- Increase the size of the practice squad.

I've never understood why teams have to inactivate players.

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

I don't like it...the division should mean something or else there shouldn't be divisions.

The NFL is never going to get rid of Thursday games...more TV contracts...yes the players hate them but they also don't complain when they are getting more money due to the revenue going up either(in part due to Thursday night contracts)...cant have it both ways.

Alternative suggestion?

My issues are:

- shouldn’t play any team twice 

- shouldn’t go more than 5 years without playing any team from the NFL

I agree with you on Thursday night.  If they keep it, they should go back to mandating every team has to play one 

Just now, Virgil said:

Alternative suggestion?

My issues are:

I agree with you on Thursday night.  If they keep it, they should go back to mandating every team has to play one 

My suggestion is to leave it how it is. I take no issue in playing teams twice or going long stretches without playing other teams.

50 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Offsetting fouls including personal fouls, not offset.  Personal foul trumps

Agree with this... but why not just calculate net yardage? For example, if there is an illegal formation penalty called against the offense, which is a 5 yard penalty against the offense, but a roughing the passer called against the defense on the same play, which is a 15-yard penalty against the defense, then move the ball 10 yards forward. They definitely should not offset... but I think just because the other team got a "bigger" penalty doesn't mean the "lesser" penalty should be excused, IMO.

And DEFINITELY need to ditch Thursday night games. Garbage product.

Edited by CLTbills
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Alternative suggestion?

My issues are:

They already don't go more than 5 years...they rotate intra-conference divisions so you are at least playing each team once every 3 years and out of conference you rotate and play once every 4 years.

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

They already don't go more than 5 years...they rotate intra-conference divisions so you are at least playing each team once every 3 years and out of conference you rotate and play once every 4 years.

Understood.  I would want to find a way to keep it that way.  It was too long a gap before that 

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/11/13/game-nfl-season-is-becoming-more-likely-league-players-make-progress-labor-deal/

Hopefully this gets done and doesn't turn into another lockout.

As this is happening, what changes would you make to the CBA if you could?  For me:

• Eliminate playing your division teams twice.  Play a second conference series.
  • 2 preseason games + 1 scrimmage
  • 18 game season, 2 bye weeks
  • 7 playoff teams, 1 gets a bye 
  • Ref grading system.  They can be either fined or removed from future games
  • Move Kickoff back to 30 yard line or remove kickoffs altogether

That's all I got for now, but reserve the right to change my mind

You don’t understand what dead money is.  It’s any money that’s already been paid, but hasn’t yet hit the cap (usually from prorated signing bonuses) plus any unpaid guaranteed money.

I like an 18 week season with two byes.  That’d probably help with keeping Thursday night games.  Also I agree that a PF should override a non PF penalty.  That’s about all I agree with. 

You're hosing the players pretty bad in general and effectively eliminating divisions.  Some of what you mention isn’t even part of the CBA.  

5 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

You don’t understand what dead money is.  It’s any money that’s already been paid, but hasn’t yet hit the cap (usually from prorated signing bonuses) plus any unpaid guaranteed money.

I like an 18 week season with two byes.  That’d probably help with keeping Thursday night games.  Also I agree that a PF should override a non PF penalty.  That’s about all I agree with. 

You're hosing the players pretty bad in general and effectively eliminating divisions.  Some of what you mention isn’t even part of the CBA.  

I get what dead money is, but I’d still double it down so the players get something.  It’s my compromise to guaranteed contracts, which I don’t think should exist in any sport. 

You could also say they get paid half their remaining contract, but that would be a bit much to me.  

Again, you could go deep there. Just trying to keep it short and simple 

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

The players are going to have to take whatever horrendous deal is forced on them

as always

Disagree. As we are seeing with the AJ Green, Ramsey, Trent situations, they are gaining confidence and willing to sit out.  

NBA is influencing it a bit, in my opinion 

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

I get what dead money is, but I’d still double it down so the players get something.  It’s my compromise to guaranteed contracts, which I don’t think should exist in any sport. 

You could also say they get paid half their remaining contract, but that would be a bit much to me.  

Again, you could go deep there. Just trying to keep it short and simple 

Oh, then you don’t mean dead money.  I think you mean that players would be paid half of the remaining contract.  Wow.  I don’t see teams or players going for that.  Teams wouldn’t want to be on the hook for more money to players no longer on their team and players would not want money that could go to current players being siphoned off to those that are out of the league. 

45 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Sure they can. The NFPLA complains about injuries and then complained about league requiring certain equipment. Complaining is what NFLPA does.