Jaguars President - "2020 is a critical year for us."

Cynical

I believe their stadium contract is up after the 2029 season, so they'll be free to leave for London as early as 2030. Good riddance, too. Jacksonville never should have been awarded a pro football franchise. It's a terrible fanbase that only cares about college football, NASCAR, cooking meth, and inbreeding during their leisure time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

The way I look at it - every home game would be like a prime time game if they started at 9:30 am eastern time. 

They would be the only game on at that time slot every week - giving them a slot all to themselves. 

I think it would be cool for London, but I hate teams moving.  There are a ton of logistical issues, but if they expand to 17 games and add a second bye week you could fix some of the issues.

I still think they are a decade away from this being totally solved, but I think Jacksonville wants the London hammer to get other concessions in their stadium deals.

Tell him to pound sand, and go to London and watch his team die there.

12 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Toronto would make way more sense than London imo.

I don't think Toronto will get a team. The Bills are actively pushing to expand their fan base all over Canada. I was at the game yesterday against Washington and the parking lots and tailgate were full of Canadian plates. A lot of people from Toronto, Ottawa.The Bills saw the reaction the Raptors got winning the NBA championship.

Edited by wppete

7 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

They would do very well in VA.

what part?  im in VA Beach, anytime an nfl team discussion comes up, they say Snyder will nix those chances right away.  We are one of the biggest areas without a major sports team though.

On 11/3/2019 at 5:13 PM, Cynical said:

https://www.jaguars.com/news/khan-talks-business-lot-j-london-more

Some choice comments in that article.

But it's like nobody saw this coming.

"What’s driven this for us is we want to give the community a different experience,” Khan said. “Obviously football … there is a limited demand for it. That’s why we’re playing the games here in London -- that the community can't support selling out eight games, so maybe there's something else we can do there for the hot-dog vendors, the hotel rooms, all the stakeholders who make a living off the game."

It appears what he is saying is that since they cannot sellout 8 games a year (and preseason games) try to get some other events at that stadium.

And I thought from reading this forum that the solution to any stadium woes is putting a dome on any stadium and moving it downtown.

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

It appears what he is saying is that since they cannot sellout 8 games a year (and preseason games) try to get some other events at that stadium.

And I thought from reading this forum that the solution to any stadium woes is putting a dome on any stadium and moving it downtown.

Buffalo’s weather issues and Jacksonville’s problems are completely different things. 

9 hours ago, Limeaid said:

This makes no sense - the issues in Jacksonville and Buffalo are totally different.  The Stadium in Jacksonville is already downtown and on the waterfront.  Jacksonville has a totally different issue getting fans.  

The Buffalo fan base is getting older and the Pegulas are building up downtown.  It makes sense to explore a dome and downtown venue in Buffalo.

Is the reason it is so important because he needs to beat the Chargers there?

I can't see any European/Asian expansion being viable long term, to much of a travel issue. Teams already have issues with the cross country trips from West to East. Imagine how the west coast teams are going to like going there frequently?

I think Jacksonville moves, but it's more likely to another US location or Canada. With the news the last few days of the Jags and Chargers looking at it, I'm sure closer places will start talking to them and making relocation offers to keep them in North America. San Antonio is always one place that comes up, Oklahoma? St Louis again?

1 minute ago, apuszczalowski said:

Is the reason it is so important because he needs to beat the Chargers there?

I can't see any European/Asian expansion being viable long term, to much of a travel issue. Teams already have issues with the cross country trips from West to East. Imagine how the west coast teams are going to like going there frequently?

I think Jacksonville moves, but it's more likely to another US location or Canada. With the news the last few days of the Jags and Chargers looking at it, I'm sure closer places will start talking to them and making relocation offers to keep them in North America. San Antonio is always one place that comes up, Oklahoma? St Louis again?

The NFL would like a team in London. That gives it a decent shot at becoming reality. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

This makes no sense - the issues in Jacksonville and Buffalo are totally different.  The Stadium in Jacksonville is already downtown and on the waterfront.  Jacksonville has a totally different issue getting fans.  

The Buffalo fan base is getting older and the Pegulas are building up downtown.  It makes sense to explore a dome and downtown venue in Buffalo.

Yup, Jacksonville's issue is that the locals aren't really interested in NFL football and supporting a team that's been bad/mediocre most of their existence. It's a college football area. Being down south they have fairly good weather most of the year where being outdoors is an option all year. Buffalos issue is the weather, where outside of football, the stadium is useless for anything else for most likely 6months+ of the year due to the weather with cold and snow.