Trubisky, hanging on by a thread

zow2

5 hours ago, zow2 said:

I don't like Trubisky at all.  He definitely lacks a certain intangible needed to be a solid QB.  

But when Allen plays the Redskins this Sunday,  keep in mind that Trubisky vs Washington this season was 25 for 31, 231 yards, 3 TD's, 1 int.  sacked 3 times.   

Not amazing but we would be gushing if Josh had that production.

Mmm he did NOT look impressive in that game. I wouldn't be gushing if Allen had a similar performance. 

24 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Keep saying good, but you are arguing a point with yourself. 

Mahomes was great in his very first start and has been consistently great from that point forward - many 300 yard and multi-touchdown games. He won the league MVP in his first full season of starting. If that’s not an anomaly then I guess I’m using the wrong definition. 

Okay, I guess I’m trying to tease out a different distinction. What unrealistic expectations do you think are made of young QB’s? Do you think folks expect a QB like Allen to be Mahomes? Or do they expect him to just be a good QB?

Do you think Jags fans are upset that Minshew isn’t playing at a Mahomes level, or do you think they are content with his level of play as a rookie?

Edited by BringBackOrton

11 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Mmm he did NOT look impressive in that game. I wouldn't be gushing if Allen had a similar performance. 

maybe you wouldn’t but half the board would have serious wood seeing 80% and 3 TD passes.  

again. I’d rather have Allen all day everyday over Trubisky but it’s fair to make comparisons against what others are doing vs similar opponents 

Another situation similar to the Andy Dalton thread currently going.

It takes ridiculous amounts of time for these franchises to give up on quarterbacks.  Trubisky's time is coming to a close.

They mostly employ a strategy that is completely opposite to what makes sense.

Single out 1 single guy, put all your money on him, and try to force him to be "The guy" for a period of years.

IMO teams should have a "young QB development squad" going at all times with multiple QBs on the roster and teams acquiring new QBs constantly, with an active competition going.

Play the odds and give yourself more spins of the wheel.  Eventually you'll luck into one that can do it.

6 minutes ago, zow2 said:

maybe you wouldn’t but half the board would have serious wood seeing 80% and 3 TD passes.  

again. I’d rather have Allen all day everyday over Trubisky but it’s fair to make comparisons against what others are doing vs similar opponents 

Two of his TDs were from the goal line iirc and he was missing guys/being inaccurate/looking flustered and taking sacks...just not an impressive performance outside his stat line. Everything was underneath, wide open first reads, or screens. He had like one impressive throw when he got flushed and hit Robinson I think for a TD

Year 3 is it for QBs now. They don't get to sit a season or two. If you're not part of the solution by year 3 then it's time to cut bait.

If Allen doesn't improve a good deal for the rest of the season (poor play calling or not) then the Bills need to bring in some competition in a Bridgewater or similar and if Allen can't win the job as the better QB then they need to cut bait. 

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think Nagy was part of the Trubisky draft pick was he?  as I recall he was brought in as a QB-offensive guru type coach to help mentor the kid and get him up to speed.   So in that sense, Nagy isn't married to him.  He's not going to sink with the Mitch Trubisky-Titanic.  He's not going to allow his Chicago head coaching career to die that way.

If Bills fans think THEY'RE upset that the Bills didn't get Watson or Mahomes, try being a Bears fan! They traded UP in that draft to pick the first QB off the board, and it was neither Watson nor Mahomes. The guy they DID take is likely to be a backup at best for the majority of his career, IF he doesn't flame out of the NFL entirely.

Yikes.

5 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

Okay, I guess I’m trying to tease out a different distinction. What unrealistic expectations do you think are made of young QB’s? Do you think folks expect a QB like Allen to be Mahomes? Or do they expect him to just be a good QB?

Do you think Jags fans are upset that Minshew isn’t playing at a Mahomes level, or do you think they are content with his level of play as a rookie?

I can only speak for myself.  I sometimes find myself wondering if Mahomes can do it, why can’t Josh Allen?  But then I realize that Mahomes is an anomaly and try to temper my expectations of Josh.  So when I read some criticism of Josh, I wonder if others are experiencing the same expectations. It’s a seductive thing to see Mahomes play at an All Pro level and transfer that expectation onto other young QBs. Much like Brady was a 6th round anomaly, and people wonder why someone drafted at the top of the draft doesn’t become as good as Brady. 

2 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

I can only speak for myself.  I sometimes find myself wondering if Mahomes can do it, why can’t Josh Allen?  But then I realize that Mahomes is an anomaly and try to temper my expectations of Josh.  So when I read some criticism of Josh, I wonder if others are experiencing the same expectations. It’s a seductive thing to see Mahomes play at an All Pro level and transfer that expectation onto other young QBs. Much like Brady was a 6th round anomaly, and people wonder why someone drafted at the top of the draft doesn’t become as good as Brady. 

do you ever think if Watson can do it, why can’t Allen? Or if Minshew can do it, why not Allen? Or if Goff can do it, why not Allen? Or if Wentz can do it, why not Allen?

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

do you ever think if Watson can do it, why can’t Allen? Or if Minshew can do it, why not Allen? Or if Goff can do it, why not Allen? Or if Wentz can do it, why not Allen?

Not really. None of those guys is in the same class as Mahomes. Maybe Watson makes me wonder a little, but the others aren’t “great”. But the performance of those guys may raise expectations for some people I suppose.

But, I will say that the league is changing in that it is becoming more and more commonplace for a rookie to step in and have sporadic success in the form of 300-yard games and multi-TD games.  

Allen’s peak so far seems to have been the Miami game last year when he had 5 TDs. Personally, I think he has improved a lot this year and hopefully that trend will continue. He will require some patience for sure.  

56 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Not really. None of those guys is in the same class as Mahomes. Maybe Watson makes me wonder a little, but the others aren’t “great”. But the performance of those guys may raise expectations for some people I suppose.

But, I will say that the league is changing in that it is becoming more and more commonplace for a rookie to step in and have sporadic success in the form of 300-yard games and multi-TD games.  

Allen’s peak so far seems to have been the Miami game last year when he had 5 TDs. Personally, I think he has improved a lot this year and hopefully that trend will continue. He will require some patience for sure.  

It has nothing to do with 300 yard or multi TD games. I’m not sure Allen beats Minshew in a single statistical category. Ditto for Wentz or Goff.

I certainly ask myself why all these young first, second and third year QB’s are able to be better than our QB. I’m growing increasingly worried about the answer.

• Like (+1) 3

Midway through 2020 season will too be the accurate time to kind of give up on Allen as well if he doesn't improve from his current play.

Our 2020 schedule is so difficult, if Allen is below average we won't win more than 4-5 games.  We'll be in line to draft his replacement

We're actually in a good position being married to Allen as our starter through the 2020 season, however which way it pans out.

17 hours ago, aristocrat said:

the important thing is they move on from mitch quick.  don't try and hang on to it. 

This is the truth. And the Bucs should have moved on from Wintson and the Titans should have moved on from Mariota 2 years ago as well. Teams over-commit to QBs they drafted and it holds them back.

11 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

Keep saying good, but you are arguing a point with yourself. 

Mahomes was great in his very first start and has been consistently great from that point forward - many 300 yard and multi-touchdown games. He won the league MVP in his first full season of starting. If that’s not an anomaly then I guess I’m using the wrong definition. 

Mahomes was OK in his first start. 0 TDs, 1 INT. Maybe you're thinking of his start in week 1 of 2018, but his first start was week 17 of 2017 after the Chiefs locked in their playoff spot. I remember thinking he looked alright, but he still made a huge jump by week one in 2018. The same is true of Watson and his first start, but I think you're still right in that when you watched them play you said to yourself "this guy looks like a quarterback" which I don't think I could ever say about Mitch. Poor guy got way overdrafted, was booed by Bulls fans before he even took a snap, and then proceeded to be exactly who we thought he would be. 

Right now, Josh Allen is at times Mitch and at times Mahomes and I hope he finds his way to being more like Mahomes in the second half of this season. I really want him to be the guy. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

It has nothing to do with 300 yard or multi TD games. I’m not sure Allen beats Minshew in a single statistical category. Ditto for Wentz or Goff.

I certainly ask myself why all these young first, second and third year QB’s are able to be better than our QB. I’m growing increasingly worried about the answer.

Understood.  But I don’t have any worries at this point.  Josh has barely a full season of games played. He was at a smaller school.  He had many detractors and criticisms coming out in the draft. His development seems commensurate with all those factors. Some guys just take longer to develop and begin to excel. I think draft position creates unrealistic expectations as well. The draft is still largely a crap shoot. 

On 10/28/2019 at 7:37 PM, WotAGuy said:

An anomaly like Mahomes raises expectations for all young QBs.  It’s often disappointing to have unrealistic expectations. 

Trubisky sucks.  He has weapons all over the field and a good defense.

Funny enough, if the Bears were able to trade for a recently benched Andy Dalton, they'd be a pretty good team.