Is Star Lotulelei A Liability on the DL?

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

ok 2 year for Star. At 10M bucks. Name me One impactful play he has made. 

How about Phillips' sack on Fitz that immediately preceded the White INT...Dolphins C is so worried about helping the RG w/doubling Lotulelei he leaves Phillips completely alone. At the end of the play he's still engaged with Lotulelei up high with the RG trying to double him low and they haven't moved him one inch backwards.

Edited by GoBills808
lol said tanny instead of fitz

3 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I don't know about Star's performance, but I'd be willing to bet a bigger issue for the Run D last week was missing Milano. As for Star, I've seen stuff that says he's doing his job well this year. People won't agree on either end because, like most bills players, there's a lot of preconceived ideas about him. Contractually, he's probably overpaid, but It's not like we're using the money right now anyways. 

i watched him via TV. i do have concerns.

he did not hold his ground well.
Miami game was the first one i stayed focused on him.
This might be his last year playing for Buffalo.

and i have been a defender

48 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

He's still an automatic double team and if not he's going to walk his guy backward more often than not. Whether fans recognize the value of a Lotulelei type player is immaterial imo. Gettleman knows how to draft for defensive line, and McDermott needed to keep Kuechly/Davis and now Edmunds/Milano clean. 

nope

theoretically correct. and what he was hired to do..

but watching last week i saw a fellow who could not get leverage.

allow me admit i cannot see what he does all the time.
not one for film study anymore

Edited by 3rdand12

24 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

How about Phillips' sack on Fitz that immediately preceded the White INT...Dolphins C is so worried about helping the RG w/doubling Lotulelei he leaves Phillips completely alone. At the end of the play he's still engaged with Lotulelei up high with the RG trying to double him low and they haven't moved him one inch backwards.

and this is what we hope to see from him and his role week in week out.

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

What's a nope?

he is not an automatic double team

when he is ? Thats when D line wins the matchups

Just now, 3rdand12 said:

and this is what we hope to see from him and his role week in week out.

That's what has been happening week in and week out. He's the only guy on the roster who can take a double team and not ground. He's just a lot stronger and better at maintaining leverage than anyone else at DT. 

People have undervalued him because he's had this role his entire time in the league. You can find a ton of press from Rivera and Short about how difficult Lotulelei's particular function on the line is and how it's hard to accurately assess his performance because it's not statistically significant.

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

That's what has been happening week in and week out. He's the only guy on the roster who can take a double team and not ground. He's just a lot stronger and better at maintaining leverage than anyone else at DT. 

People have undervalued him because he's had this role his entire time in the league. You can find a ton of press from Rivera and Short about how difficult Lotulelei's particular function on the line is and how it's hard to accurately assess his performance because it's not statistically significant.

I agree about how he has played his role. do not care about his contract btw.
last week he was getting pushed and moved aside.

every player has a rough outing. If Offenses are keying on him then thats a success really.
 but i just did not see a good game from him last week overall.

I was trying to watch the runs in between tackles and Edmund development, so i ended up watching D line as while

: )

Edited by 3rdand12

Just now, 3rdand12 said:

I agree about how he has played his role. do not care about his contract btw.
last week he was getting pushed and moved aside.

every player has a rough outing. If Offenses are keying on him then thats a success really.
 but i just did not see a good game from him last week overall.

I was trying to watch the runs in between tackles and Edmund development, so i ended up watching D line as while

: )

?I think the unit as a whole underperformed against Miami so I agree. My issue with this thread is that it asks whether he's a liability on the line when he's actually their best performing DT week in and week out. 

He's always the check for the offensive line when he's in. Phillips and Oliver give up too much leverage and position against anything other than 1v1s. Even then they often lose their base on run plays. Lotulelei is just a more complete and much stronger anchor for the line right now. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GoBills808 said:

?I think the unit as a whole underperformed against Miami so I agree. My issue with this thread is that it asks whether he's a liability on the line when he's actually their best performing DT week in and week out. 

He's always the check for the offensive line when he's in. Phillips and Oliver give up too much leverage and position against anything other than 1v1s. Even then they often lose their base on run plays. Lotulelei is just a more complete and much stronger anchor for the line right now. 

Got to have a Star type Tech in this defense, He got plenty of reps ( ? ) seemingly last week . So McD saw something. he could leverage.

Star is hardly a liability, but he certainly is situational player with strengths and limitations .
we agree generally : )

i do think they will look to draft a 1 tech or NT of some sort to anchor down that line of scrimmage in the middle. Phillips and Phillips are not that guy.
If Star is starting next year i won't rant.

thanks808 ! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

He's still an automatic double team and if not he's going to walk his guy backward more often than not. Whether fans recognize the value of a Lotulelei type player is immaterial imo. Gettleman knows how to draft for defensive line, and McDermott needed to keep Kuechly/Davis and now Edmunds/Milano clean. 

I just rewatched the game keeping an eye on Star and it was interesting.  I'm using your post to reply in general 808.

From the way I saw it Star had a number of double teams (may somewhere around half the time) and he got moved around pretty good

on some and was a rock on others.

Something that was strange was when he was single teamed he stayed engaged and didn't shed the blocker or even moved them much.

I didn't see the bolded part of your post very much at all.

I don't see Star as a liability at all but didn't see anything outstanding either.

One other thing I did notice was on most of the long runs by Miami Star was not on the field.

FWIW

• Like (+1) 4

I said so at the time that this was an absolutely terrible contract. Star's play has been diminishing for years and already had been in the two years before the Bills got him. He had a couple good years in the beginning with the Panthers. His job description and responsibilities haven't changed since then, his performance has.

He has consistently been one of the lowest rated dts in the league for years now. Before you tell me his job is to eat space realize that he is not the only dt in the league who has that responsibility, but he has consistently been one of the lowest rated at doing that job. It was a horrible contract at signing and it still is now. Beane has made a lot of good moves but this wasn't one of them imo. Nobody is perfect.

That said, let's hope the Bills find a way to mask that weakness in their line and keep winning.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Why does saying a player sucks offend you? 

It doesn’t, it makes me laugh,

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:
Edited by Don Otreply
Duplicate

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Looks like after next season...

Year   Age Base Salary Signing Roster Workout Cap Hit Dead Cap Yearly Cash  
2018 Contract details by year 28 $3,500,000 $2,600,000 $500,000 $100,000 $6,700,000 $18,600,000 $17,100,000($17,100,000)  
2019 Contract details by year 29 $7,150,000 $2,600,000 $1,500,000 $250,000 $11,500,000 $18,800,000 $8,900,000($26,000,000)  
2020 Contract details by year 30 $6,250,000 $2,600,000 $1,000,000 $250,000 $10,100,000 $7,800,000 $7,500,000($33,500,000)  

Potential Out: 2021, 3 yr, $33,500,000; $5,200,000 dead cap

2021 Contract details by year 31 $6,500,000 $2,600,000 $1,500,000 $250,000 $10,850,000 $5,200,000 $8,250,000($41,750,000)  
2022 Contract details by year 32 $6,500,000 $2,600,000 $1,500,000 $250,000 $10,850,000 $2,600,000 $8,250,000($50,000,000)

That is a long time to have someone under contract