Daboll - Grade Him

ngbills

On 10/21/2019 at 1:58 PM, stony said:

B all day.

This offense is still another off-season away IMO.    

I agree. We have a second year QB who has come a long way, but still has a long way to go. Same for the offensive line- which has improved immensely from last year but still isn't great. The WR's need upgrading (again). Still, we are good in the 4th quarter which is promising

On 11/1/2019 at 7:49 AM, Gugny said:

I am officially in the "I want Daboll gone," camp.

He has shown that he's capable of calling good games.  Unfortunately, he's also shown that he can rarely, if ever, do that in consecutive weeks, let alone with any semblance of consistency.

His resume is pathetic for a reason.  He's in way over his head and McDermott needs to address it.

He has a history of failure. It is not a shock if he fails again. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/31/2019 at 12:33 PM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He has a careless with the football young QB. I haven't had much issue with the play calling, at least to the point where it frustrates me. His QB just isn't good enough yet.

I went to NFL.com and looked up stats for fumbles.  Turns out they're in the "rushing" section.  Click to embiggen.  JA has the same number of fumbles lost as Derek Carr, Jimmy Garappolo, Deshaun Watson.  He has one more than Kirk Cousins and Lamar Jackson.

I'm not saying 4 fumbles is OK - McDermott and Daboll obviously look at them as wasted opportunities and avoidable. 

I am saying I think this data shows that the problem is common, especially for dual-threat QB who are asked to run like Allen, Watson, and Jackson, and that where Allen is concerned it's being overblown.

image.thumb.png.f768891fee44d413961e6178a3f374b1.png

Likewise with the INTs.  Let's have a look.  JA has the same number of INTs as Philip Rivers, Dak Prescott, Daniel Jones, Jared Goff, and Jimmy Garappolo.  He has fewer than Matt Ryan, Sam Darnold (in 4 games!), Andy Dalton, Jameis Winston, and Baker Mayfield.

Again, I'm not saying 7 INTs is OK - McDermott and Daboll obviously and rightly view then as potential game-changers and want them minimized.

I'm saying I think the problem is more common than perceived here, especially for young QB - and Mayfield and Darnold were supposed to be the "can't miss!" draft stars while Allen was the "less than zero chance of success" joke reach the Bills inexplicably traded up for.  Jones is this year's Hot Young Thing.  And Garappolo, Goff, and Prescott are rightly regarded as fine young QB.

image.thumb.png.29092bb55f0da1b5e2d59ef26afb0c6b.png

11 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

Hard to grade an OC when your QB keeps turning the ball over.

Then I guess we can't grade the OCs in Oakland, SF, Houston, NYJ, NYG, Dallas, LAR, or LAC either

On 11/1/2019 at 12:01 PM, ngbills said:

The offense can dictate this. The OC job is create the mismatches, the space, etc. In the example you provided - what if the bills send one of the TE wide? Or they send the FB in motion. You have now either removed a defender from the box or you have a guy uncovered. They are not running the ball by choice not because of what the D is doing. 

The Bills actually did things like this early on, for example against the Jets.  We would start with a 21 set, HB and FB in backfield and TE tight in, then shift formation before the snap.  Of course if that results in Pat DiMarco and Lee Smith out wide, that isn't my idea of a good time either.

I forget where I saw it and can't find it now, but it's not just the backfield and sets that are telegraphing what we're going to do.  There was a stat about our run/pass breakdown from shotgun and from under center and it was horribly skewed - that basically we don't run at all from shotgun.

46 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I went to NFL.com and looked up stats for fumbles.  Turns out they're in the "rushing" section.  Click to embiggen.  JA has the same number of fumbles lost as Derek Carr, Jimmy Garappolo, Deshaun Watson.  He has one more than Kirk Cousins and Lamar Jackson.

I'm not saying 4 fumbles is OK - McDermott and Daboll obviously look at them as wasted opportunities and avoidable. 

I am saying I think this data shows that the problem is common, especially for dual-threat QB who are asked to run like Allen, Watson, and Jackson, and that where Allen is concerned it's being overblown.

image.thumb.png.f768891fee44d413961e6178a3f374b1.png

Likewise with the INTs.  Let's have a look.  JA has the same number of INTs as Philip Rivers, Dak Prescott, Daniel Jones, Jared Goff, and Jimmy Garappolo.  He has fewer than Matt Ryan, Sam Darnold (in 4 games!), Andy Dalton, Jameis Winston, and Baker Mayfield.

Again, I'm not saying 7 INTs is OK - McDermott and Daboll obviously and rightly view then as potential game-changers and want them minimized.

I'm saying I think the problem is more common than perceived here, especially for young QB - and Mayfield and Darnold were supposed to be the "can't miss!" draft stars while Allen was the "less than zero chance of success" joke reach the Bills inexplicably traded up for.  Jones is this year's Hot Young Thing.  And Garappolo, Goff, and Prescott are rightly regarded as fine young QB.

image.thumb.png.29092bb55f0da1b5e2d59ef26afb0c6b.png

Then I guess we can't grade the OCs in Oakland, SF, Houston, NYJ, NYG, Dallas, LAR, or LAC either

I don't care what other QBs are doing. Josh is the guy in THIS team. Those QBs are obviously able to overcome their turnovers, Josh cannot.

Edited by Boca BIlls

40 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

I don't care what other QBs are doing. Josh is the guy in THIS team. Those QBs are obviously able to overcome their turnovers, Josh cannot.

Most of those other QB's have far more experience in reading defenses and setting protections along with quickly finding the open receiver. Knowing that this QB is still developing, learning his craft and only has one season of game starts, does anyone thinks its a smart move to make him the focal point of the offense to make plays?

Clearly whats happening is when the Bills go to a two TE, FB, RB set the opposing team understands that the Bills are gonna run the ball and stack the box. Its up to the OC to confuse the defense and make them think something else is going on. 

Its why Chan Gailey was so successful in running out of a one back, 5 wide shotgun spread formation. When you spread out the offense the defense must do the same and if you have 4-5 WRs on the field the defense usually goes into a nickle/dime defense. This causes mismatches all over. 

What I would love to see is the Bills taking a long hard look at Minnesota and what Gary Kubiak is doing there...with his zone running, heavy play action. Granted, the Bills don't have RB Davin Cook at RB, but what they do have are underutilized.

Far, far too many penalties, pre-snap and other wise on the O line, offense. Too many late incoming play calls so the offense is forced to use a time out or take a delay of game. Not running the ball enough, and although the Eagles were keying on Gore and stuffing him to 3.8 YPC AVG. Yet Singletary was getting 6.3 YPC...so why not run him more?

After the Eagles game I have a new grade for Daboll...F ! 

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/1/2019 at 11:54 AM, Gugny said:

There are other places to run the ball.  My point is that he abandons the run faster than Chan Gailey used to.  He makes this offense painfully predictable.

And that is why Belichick smiled when he heard Daboll was going to coach in the division

• Like (+1) 1