Daboll - Grade Him

ngbills

14 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Never been a fan and he certainly hasn’t convinced me yet. I cringe at every designed QB run. Would love to see the yardage breakdown of Allen’s YPA when running a designed run vs running from a broken pocket. 

I'm not sure yardage breakdown of YPA would tell you.  A couple of times those designed QB runs have worked needed short yardage.

How many plays per game are blown up due to bad timing? Seems his plays require perfect timing to be executed properly, and if any obstruction arises the play is dead. Doesn’t he engineer alternate options if the first option is not there? It also seems as though these young players can’t follow his plays. At least twice yesterday JA was looking to throw to a guy who was blocking downfield vs looking for the ball. Not sure if Allen or the receiver is to blame there. So, I think his plays are essentially too complex (to be executed by this squad) and over designed (not able to be executed in the real world). He’s trying too hard to be the smartest guy out there, when he should just be tailoring his plays to his player’s strengths.

• Like (+1) 2

On 10/21/2019 at 10:53 AM, ngbills said:

The Bills are 5-1. It is undeniable that they have a defense in the top of the league. The offense is another story. 

What are your opinions of Daboll? How much of the struggle is on the players vs the play calling / scheme? 

The first half of the Dolphins game was killing me. Showed some patterns from the entire season, but against a bad team I expected better. Some of 

Yesterday especially boneheaded:

Designed runs to Allen vs the worst team in the NFL. Once in a while, sure. But really, we trying to get him hurt. Not needed in this game, especially in the first quarter.

Gore - Drive #1 - First play 8 yard run; only one more run that drive. Drive #2 - Gore 10yd run first play; zero runs rest of drive. We never establish the run even thought Gore is breaking off long runs consistently. 

All Seaon:

Long Developing plays. Way too many routes that take forever for a guy to get where he needs to be. 

Getting into a flow. This offense has struggled getting into a flow. A lot of times one play sets them back. 

Cutesy Plays - Once in while ok. But too many of these we are going to fool you plays. Save them for the right spots not 3 times in one drive. 

Getting calls in - Allen seems frantic trying to get the ball snapped way too often. 

Identity - Are we pass happy team? A running team that can pass? Do we adjust to the defense playing? Can we adjust to schemes?

Deny.

C-

12 hours ago, DuckyBoys said:

C- 

at times the Bills will put together a 10 play drive but then they follow it up with a quarter and a half of nothing  . A lot of it is execution and being to cute with play calls  If Gore is working feed him.  He gets tired give it to the next back.  He needs to remove the endless Allen hard count.  Its clear our O line and Lee Smith are not disciplined enough and we get more false starts plus it allows the D line to time it when Allen is getting the ball with 1 on the clock. 

Noticed the hard count too.

I have been calling for them to be less predictable with their cadence to slow opposing players from jumping the snap and so that Allen could get a better read on pressure/blitz packages.

There is one player that seems to be getting the Lion's share of false starts, Lee Smith, and there is no excuse. He just has to clean up his concentration issues.

I think he is someone that officials focus on now because of his penalty history.

Other pre-snap penalties on others I think may also be a result of how often the Bills have had to juggle their lineup due to injuries.

Edited by WideNine

smoke said that this is the most complicated O he's ever been on.  I have no reason to doubt him.

we are too clever by half, and just generally not productive.  we've gotten worse as a team since the bye, and our O just shat the bed in the second half vs philly.  at this point, i see no evidence that dabol doesn't suck.

12 hours ago, Best Williams Available said:

How many plays per game are blown up due to bad timing? Seems his plays require perfect timing to be executed properly, and if any obstruction arises the play is dead. Doesn’t he engineer alternate options if the first option is not there? It also seems as though these young players can’t follow his plays. At least twice yesterday JA was looking to throw to a guy who was blocking downfield vs looking for the ball. Not sure if Allen or the receiver is to blame there. So, I think his plays are essentially too complex (to be executed by this squad) and over designed (not able to be executed in the real world). He’s trying too hard to be the smartest guy out there, when he should just be tailoring his plays to his player’s strengths.

This is actually a fair summation of my mixed feelings on Daboll.

When his plays work, they are clever.  But it seems as though they're too complex for a new-to-each-other set of moving parts and a wet-behind-ears QB to execute consistently.

Daboll "grew up" coaching TE for the NE offense when it was already a fully-developed machine.  I don't think he saw, or is able to go back and see, the relatively basic but effective offense the Pats used to run when Brady was a new QB.  It was almost 50/50 run/pass and did not rely upon the WR/TE/QB all independently being on the same page and making the same read on the D.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I have calmed down a bit so feel I can be a little more objective.

I would not want my Bills to throw the baby out with the bathwater. To be fair Daboll has called an excellent red zone offense. Some of his play designs in that area have completely undressed opposing D's. The Bills lead or have led the league in red zone proficiency. It's consistency getting to the red zone that has been an issue and his willingness to call plays that expose Allen to unnecessary hits.

I think that Daboll probably is a tough task master with Allen, but marrying the kid with one of the highest wonderlic scores but the most positional development needs with a task master who is sharp, and wants to run a complicated offense is not the worst thing for Allen's development as long as Daboll does not break his new shiny toy.

Allen's short to intermediate game, touch on throws, throwing with anticipation, and in-game management is progressing and some of that has to be Daboll.

Daboll has gotten a bit pass happy with too many plays developing East West behind the LOS and too few simply designed for quick North South execution. He just needs to think about where this offense and all its new pieces are in regards to developing chemistry and understanding his playbook, the field conditions, on field matchups and who is winning those and adapt.

Even if he just forced himself into a more balance approach between pass and run, regardless of field conditions or worrying that the opposing team is good against the run, he would find more sustained success.

I have never believed in conceding your run game just because the other team has a good run defense. You make them play pass and run the whole game unless you have to play catch up and take more chances. That way they cannot just pin their ears back rushing your QB, and you never know when you are going to break a long one.

Correctable things if he has the willingness to take in the feedback from the coaches and players around him objectively and apply it in a way that helps this offense become more consistent.

Edited by WideNine

Strong D........his playcalling is atrocious...no other way to put it......when you should run he throws....when you should throw he calls runs......doesnt use our RB's and when they produce he abandons the run??  Even McD acknowledged there is a "problem" with the offence...whether it be JA's passing or the playcalling it has to get fixed quick......this is looking way too familar this time of year........

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, JPP said:

Strong D........his playcalling is atrocious...no other way to put it......when you should run he throws....when you should throw he calls runs......doesnt use our RB's and when they produce he abandons the run??  Even McD acknowledged there is a "problem" with the offence...whether it be JA's passing or the playcalling it has to get fixed quick......this is looking way too familar this time of year........

...Allen is his all too convenient bailout when he effs up.....hoping Josh can be our long term franchise QB answer versus a quick exit on a gurney......Daboll got a "pass" last year because of personnel....check out his resume'....a bunch of "one and done stints" as OC......HAD to be the personnel, right??............

• Awesome! (+1) 1