Daboll - Grade Him

ngbills

On 10/28/2019 at 1:49 PM, ngbills said:

Well he did lead the nation is rushing attempts in 2017. Not sure why people think he cant handle a workload. He is 5'7 and 203 vs gore at 5'9 and 212. Not a huge difference. 

If you watched the two of them run up the middle last week you could see the difference. There is a big difference between the two between the tackles.

F  

Play calling is terrible and week to week game plans are marginal at best. Our 5 wins come against teams that have a combined 7-30 record and we average 20 pts. a game or so. We are a poor mans 5-2 team. 8 three and outs on 13 possessions last week. Screen game is non existent.  That should be an extension of the run game for every NFL offense. Basic stuff. No playaction. No bootlegs. Deep passing game doesn't exist so D will press up more until we prove we can hit the deep ball. Very bland play designs, not much misdirection. Just hope he doesn't ruin Allen, who has regressed the last few weeks. I blame Daboll designed game plans mostly, minus Josh's fumbling, that's on him. Why the hell is Isaiah McKenzie inactive? He reminds me a better version of Roscoe. He should be getting 4-5 touches a game. That end around should be a staple play every week until teams show they can stop it. And when they can, fake it to McKenzie, need to get more misdirection going, and throw a screen pass opposite side. Need much more creativity in play designs. At the end of last year Allen and Foster seemed to have serious connection. Foster finished last season with 3 straight games of 100+ receiving yards. He was our best deep, intermediate threat last year when he got the opportunity to get some real snaps. To me that's a no brainer to try to keep developing their chemistry and build upon last year, right McD? 

I hope Daboll lets Allen be Allen and starts designing  more passing plays outside of the pocket for him. Let the kid be an athlete and sling the football. Josh isn't ready to be the quick read short throw guy as our primary offensive package. Both Aaron Rodgers and Deshaun Watson take a lot of sacks like Allen. They however make more big plays outside the pocket than any other NFL qbs. To me Allen can do the same in time if they give him the confidence to do so. GO BILLS!

After the last game you gotta think Daboll and our players were reading their own press clippings and believing them. There was plenty of ineptitude on display during that game.  Let’s all hope our guys get their combined heads out of their backsides, I think the team wins vs the skins.

Go Bills!!!

22 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is actually a fair summation of my mixed feelings on Daboll.

When his plays work, they are clever.  But it seems as though they're too complex for a new-to-each-other set of moving parts and a wet-behind-ears QB to execute consistently.

Daboll "grew up" coaching TE for the NE offense when it was already a fully-developed machine.  I don't think he saw, or is able to go back and see, the relatively basic but effective offense the Pats used to run when Brady was a new QB.  It was almost 50/50 run/pass and did not rely upon the WR/TE/QB all independently being on the same page and making the same read on the D.

He was the wide receivers coach when Brady was a young qb. He left ne in 2006.

He’s never been a good nfl OC.  Funny that Jalen Hurts was “holding him back” and now looks like a Heisman candidate.

i think Daboll knows a lot about football.   I don’t dispute that.  But I said all along that with a guy like Allen, they settled with Daboll.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He’s never been a good nfl OC.  Funny that Jalen Hurts was “holding him back” and now looks like a Heisman candidate.

i think Daboll knows a lot about football.   I don’t dispute that.  But I said all along that with a guy like Allen, they settled with Daboll.  

I dont think they settled. I think its a very complex system to master. Josh would probably be better served running an offense like what carson palmer ran in cincy.

55 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

I dont think they settled. I think its a very complex system to master. Josh would probably be better served running an offense like what carson palmer ran in cincy.

Josh scored a 37 on the wonderlic and Brady scored a 33. I think Allen can handle the complexity of this offense. 

58 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

Great coaches coach to their player’s strengths.  I always felt Daboll was trying to force Allen into a Brady offense. Allen would be better served in a Greg Roman offense IMO.

2 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Josh scored a 37 on the wonderlic and Brady scored a 33. I think Allen can handle the complexity of this offense. 

Football intelligence is completely different than test intelligence.  Jim Kelly scores a 13 or something. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Great coaches coach to their player’s strengths.  I always felt Daboll was trying to force Allen into a Brady offense. Allen would be better served in a Greg Roman offense IMO.

Football intelligence is completely different than test intelligence.  Jim Kelly scores a 13 or something. 

If they use the wonderlic for a football purpose then it must serve a football purpose. Just like that paper folding test when you are taking the test to be a plumber. It must serve a purpose or it wouldn’t be in there.

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Is he really trying to put Josh into a Tommy offense?  Tommy's offense is based on short fast guys running crossing patterns and pick plays.  I've seen little of that. Most of the time it looks more like the Coach Hackett offense throwing to guys standing still.  Just doing more of it.

Really bugs me he is bound and determined to pass on every play with an inaccurate QB when we have the 7th best run game in NFL and an all time great ground and pounder in Frank Gore coupled with a really good D.  Would open up the pass game and play action I would think.

Don't waste  really good D and a favorable schedule looking ahead.

Do what you do do well.

1 hour ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

If they use the wonderlic for a football purpose then it must serve a football purpose. Just like that paper folding test when you are taking the test to be a plumber. It must serve a purpose or it wouldn’t be in there.

Marino had a 16 and Fitz had a 49.  You’d rather not have a moron but doesn’t make or break a qb.

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

Is he really trying to put Josh into a Tommy offense?  Tommy's offense is based on short fast guys running crossing patterns and pick plays.  I've seen little of that. Most of the time it looks more like the Coach Hackett offense throwing to guys standing still.  Just doing more of it.

Really bugs me he is bound and determined to pass on every play with an inaccurate QB when we have the 7th best run game in NFL and an all time great ground and pounder in Frank Gore coupled with a really good D.  Would open up the pass game and play action I would think.

Don't waste  really good D and a favorable schedule looking ahead.

Do what you do do well.

They don't run that well and they don't pass that well either.  Neither aspect is good enough to be too much one or the other.  They do best when they get a good balance and don't telegraph whether they are passing or running by formation.  What really drives me crazy is how predictable they are based on formation - they rarely use play-action from what looks like heavy run sets.  When they do - they have been very successful.  They rarely run when they have a wide spread formation unless it is Allen, and I'm just not that keen on him being an occasional running back if you are trying to have a long-term franchise QB. 

Edited by Ayjent

47 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Marino had a 16 and Fitz had a 49.  You’d rather not have a moron but doesn’t make or break a qb.

Marino has said that he didn’t take that test seriously. I understand the test is just one of many to try and get a read on a player. All I’m saying is that it must serve a purpose otherwise it would not be done.