When is Allen going to have "that game", and do you care?

Process

On 10/21/2019 at 6:46 AM, Sundancer said:

He can get chunk plays. He can manage games. He can run. He can play clutch. 

Let's complain!

He's in his second one year. I'm thrilled with thIs "project."

I mean it's so easy to find a franchise QB. I cant imagine why there aren't 32 game breakers in the league. Last year Mayfield  and Darnold were all the rage, but you dont hear so much from those nut huggers this year. Allen may not be jesus in cleats, but I'll  take him over the other options. 

• Like (+1) 1

I’m now concerned about Allen.  I’ve been writing this off to youth, poor receivers, so so Oline, mixed running game, etc.  but he’s now proving that when The OC calls consecutive plays where Josh has to stand in the pocket, make quick reads and make accurate throws...he’s failing.  He’s just not reading the field fast enough.  And even in garbage time when the opponent is giving up the middle of the field..he misfiring to open receivers all over the place.

im sorry, but I think I preferred the reckless scrambler from last season when he’d take off and run too early. At least he was making Lamar Jackson-esque plays and moving the club. I guess I’m ok with him risking injury. I don’t love the called runs, but I always liked his unscripted scrambles. Let’s face it, he’s never gonna be Rodgers, Mahomes, etc from the pocket.  He’s just not all that good. He may never even throw for 300 yards in a catch up game.

To be honest, Allen looks worlds better than I thought he would coming out of Wyoming. I thought he’d be an instant bust. He hasn’t been that, but I don’t think he’ll ever be a franchise level QB. He didn’t throw for many yards or TDs in college and that’s transferring over to the NFL thus far. He just doesn’t have the mind that makes the game look easy.

Edited by JayBaller10

We still need better protection on the line.  Josh rarely gets to feel comfortable.  He does bail too early at times, but too often he has too little time to let routes develop.

Josh is unable to stand in a pocket and make throws at all levels of the field and to both sides.  If that is not possible, he will not have "the game."

If we are going to beat a good team, he is going to have to be able to throw some receivers open.  The ball that Darby deflected to Brown was a ball that Josh has to throw better.  Up to this point, he's gotten better at not horribly missing open receivers, but I do not see him make impressive throws in tighter coverage.

It's not too late, but there not many positively encouraging moments.

4 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I’m now concerned about Allen.  I’ve been writing this off to youth, poor receivers, so so Oline, mixed running game, etc.  but he’s now proving that when The OC calls consecutive plays where Josh has to stand in the pocket, make quick reads and make accurate throws...he’s failing.  He’s just not reading the field fast enough.  And even in garbage time when the opponent is giving up the middle of the field..he misfiring to open receivers all over the place.

im sorry, but I think I preferred the reckless scrambler from last season when he’d take off and run too early. At least he was making Lamar Jackson-esque plays and moving the club. I guess I’m ok with him risking injury. I don’t love the called runs, but I always liked his unscripted scrambles. Let’s face it, he’s never gonna be Rodgers, Mahomes, etc from the pocket.  He’s just not all that good. He may never even throw for 300 yards in a catch up game.

Allen didn't look good in the 2nd half but this game was hardly about Allen .   Bills were trying to make JA the feature running back in this game and throw to a bunch of receivers that can't get more than a 1 foot separation.  When you give up 31 points its usually not the QB's fault you lost.  Allen made one glaring mistake on that fumble but otherwise pretty much played withing the offensive scheme of the gameplan. 

12 minutes ago, NJKBillsfan said:

I think they are having him stay in the pocket and pass more this season.

Last year he ran a lot more which is where a lot of the offensive production came from.

Boom. Nailed it. Been saying this to my buddies all season.  I actually liked the risk taking, scrambling Josh better than the pocket-passer Josh.  He moved the chains last year. In big chunks. If he gets hurt so be it. It wouldn’t be ideal but Barkley is efficient.  They need to do fewer designed runs and allow Allen to scramble from the pocket if he needs to.

8 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Looked to me like players were dropping catchable passes today

6 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

The Bills Defense is so good, we don't need to worry about Josh's development.....  Or so I thought..... 

we are still 5 and 2 ok to still feel that way

3 minutes ago, dakrider said:

Allen didn't look good in the 2nd half but this game was hardly about Allen .   Bills were trying to make JA the feature running back in this game and throw to a bunch of receivers that can't get more than a 1 foot separation.  When you give up 31 points its usually not the QB's fault you lost.  Allen made one glaring mistake on that fumble but otherwise pretty much played withing the offensive scheme of the gameplan. 

I gotta call him out when he plays poorly. He had like 9 yards passing after the Singletary screen TD.  Even when Philly was giving him the middle of the field. I don’t pin the Loss entirely on Josh but he was lousy.

5 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Agreed.

In what world does last year's offense look remotely close to this year's?

So many long and successful 8 plus play drives this season.

Today was lost by our D and our fumbles, but this year generally we can move the ball.

5 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I mean it's so easy to find a franchise QB. I cant imagine why there aren't 32 game breakers in the league. Last year Mayfield  and Darnold were all the rage, but you dont hear so much from those nut huggers this year. Allen may not be jesus in cleats, but I'll  take him over the other options. 

Funny and true. We all knew Josh was a project qb who would take more time than most to develop.  And I believe he's on pace in his improvement despite a very mediocre OC. He doesn't have the toys or coaching direction of a Mahomes.