When is Allen going to have "that game", and do you care?

Process

Just now, BringBackOrton said:

We pulled the plug on EJ long before then. 

If the plan is to gear up a great team with a good QB on a cheap rookie deal, waiting until year 5 isn’t an option.

Sure, but can you blame them ? He couldn’t throw like an NFL QB. I think what you described is the plan, but things would have to be pretty bad for them to pull the plug. It could get there, but it’s not trending in that direction. At some point though, cap room will get used up etc etc. 

10 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

7-4 as a starter with 5 4th quarter comebacks and 5 game winning drives that year. That’s all that matters apparently. I wonder why he was switched to a TE the next year and is now playing baseball in the minor leagues. Ugly or not, all he did was win as a QB!

Please stop with it.  No one is saying it’s all that matters, but comparing Allen’s play as a QB and Tebow’s is a stunningly bad take.

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

Sure, but can you blame them ? He couldn’t throw like an NFL QB. I think what you described is the plan, but things would have to be pretty bad for them to pull the plug. It could get there, but it’s not trending in that direction. At some point though, cap room will get used up etc etc. 

How many good QBs drafted in the first round have not proven they are worth an extension long before their fifth year?

3 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Goff. Wentz. Luck. 

Just those 3? Obviously Luck should have. Goff ? Lots of issues in his game right now. Wentz ? Might have been better off with Foles. Anyway, I don’t know how many first round guys did and did not get that deal at that point, haven’t looked it up. Pretty sure quite a few have not. If the Bills end up in the Conference championship or even in the Super Bowl you do it then. If not, you wait apparently. That’s what it seems like. 

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

That's primarily on the coaching staff not Allen.

The coaching staff doesn’t tell him to not throw it to open receivers. He had Beasley wide open earlier in the game for at the very least a huge gain and most likely a td and threw it elsewhere. John brown open for a first down and threw it short to a covered Knox. Duke running open for a big gain but threw it to brown who still got a decent gain but a decent throw to duke should have been 6. 

He’s shown that he can make each of these throws but there’s sometimes where he just refuses to do it and I have no idea why. He made them all later in the game with no issue.  

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

Trent Dilfer won a SB. I would take a SB win with mediocre QBing and a great D like Baltimore had. That being said its aggravating to watch Josh overthrow wide open guys week in and week out. Today he Overthrew Brown by almost 10 yards and he had plenty of time to throw. He needs to be work more on his touch until that problem is gone!

5 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Just those 3? Obviously Luck should have. Goff ? Lots of issues in his game right now. Wentz ? Might have been better off with Foles. Anyway, I don’t know how many first round guys did and did not get that deal at that point, haven’t looked it up. Pretty sure quite a few have not. If the Bills end up in the Conference championship or even in the Super Bowl you do it then. If not, you wait apparently. That’s what it seems like. 

Yeah the ones who didn’t get that deal SUCKED. Mariota (lost his job to Tannehill). Winston (SUCKS). Manziel (SUCKS.) Paxton Lynch (SUCKS). Bridgewater knee exploded and (SUCKS). 

Is that your argument? Allen is like those dudes?

Edited by BringBackOrton

My feeling is that when Allen was drafted, he was considered raw and would take a couple of years to be ready to start.  He has progressed faster than expected, but he is still developing.  We are 5-1 this year.  Allen has been great in the 2nd half of games.  He has 5 game winning drives.  Yes he still makes mistakes.  But Allen is a leader of men and has the intangibles that can not be coached.

Allen is improving in accuracy and decision making.   He misses open receivers too often, but I believe that will improve.  

We should take a breath and enjoy how far this team has come in 2+ years.  

Our future is bright.

Edited by longtimebillsfan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

That’s a realistic possibility. Although, a look around the league would probably say it’s not likely. How many ( first round) guys get an extension before playing on their 5th year option ? 

when was the last time a 1st round QB got their 5th year option picked up and then got the monster contract? I can’t think of one.

If a 1st round QB is good enough to get the big pay then it’s probably going to happen before their 4th year.

Carr, Wentz, Goff, Newton being examples.

Do you think the Titans are still trying to figure out if they’re going to write a blank check to Mariota?

• Like (+1) 1

He's not "there yet" in his development... He was a massive project coming in, and people need to remember that. His flashes early have made people think he's more advanced in his maturation process than his is.... 

Smart development of this kid means limiting his mistakes and not asking too much. His potential is the next Aaron Rodgers but his downside is the next JP Losman.... He may or may not be great but you can't rush his "that game" emergence.... Because he's not ready until he's ready.... If he ever is.   But if he gets there, holy hell can he be good.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

when was the last time a 1st round QB got their 5th year option picked up and then got the monster contract? I can’t think of one.

If a 1st round QB is good enough to get the big pay then it’s probably going to happen before their 4th year.

Do you think the Titans are still trying to figure out if they’re going to write a blank check to Mariota?

Every good QB gets an extension before their fifth year. The bad ones do not. This does not bode well for, “he has until the fifth year option to prove himself.” The league data supports that we’ll know who he is by then.

Just now, BringBackOrton said:

Yeah the ones who didn’t get that deal SUCKED. Mariota (lost his job to Tannehill). Winston (SUCKS). Manziel (SUCKS.) Paxton Lynch (SUCKS). Bridgewater (SUCKS). 

Is that your argument? Allen is like those dudes?

I’d have moved on sooner than each of their teams did, except Bridgewater. He’s pretty good and it was an injury situation.  Not arguing anything except that if the Bills are winning, they’re unlikely to get rid of Allen after year 2. Does that make sense?  

3 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I think that ship sailed on Mariota awhile ago or it should have anyway. 

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

I’d have moved on sooner than each of their teams did, except Bridgewater. He’s pretty good and it was an injury situation.  Not arguing anything except that if the Bills are winning, they’re unlikely to get rid of Allen after year 2. Does that make sense?  

Teams that are winning generally don’t move on from their QB’s. Bad to mediocre QBs generally have their fifth year options. Good QB’s get extended long before then. 

We kept EJ for 4 years. Allen won’t be outright cut. I wouldn’t be surprised if some Allen competition was brought in unless he vastly improves. In fact, at this point, I’m praying that we draft a QB decently high next year.