Question for the Liberals/Progressives on the Forum

Foxx

11 minutes ago, section122 said:

I wasn't tagged and I believe I am considered a "drive by poster" here but in reality I lurk in all forums I participate in not just this one so this post may not mean much.

I look and see (or try to) all sides of an issue.  However this really isn't a great place for discussion (personal opinion).  It is very very hard right wing in here.  So there is not really a chance to have open and honest dialogue.  Look back through the first 2 pages of responses to this question and the first page of topic listings.  It is an echo chamber here so it does actually serve a purpose of challenging my (mostly) left leaning beliefs.  That said anyone who uses the phrase libtard or snowflake automatically is dismissed by me.  Name calling is childish and shows that they aren't actually willing to have a conversation.  Reddit r/politics has the same issues on the other side.   

@Deranged Rhino  usually tries to source his claims so I will read a lot of them even if they are dripping with right wing bias.  I am okay with that as it does challenge my beliefs and shows other people's feelings and how they got there.  @B-Man articles generally get skipped as they are so clearly slanted I don't really care to read them.  I do that with far left articles too.  I don't even browse r/politics anymore as it isn't worthwhile.  After I read articles I generally will check out the source to see how credible it is.  Twitter posters mostly get dismissed by me as they almost always have a clear agenda whether right or left leaning.

I'm not a fan of Trump.  He repeatedly violates the emoluments clause and profits from the office of president.  He pulled out of the g7 at Doral (righfully) but vacations at mar a lago and recently Pence staying at his property in Ireland are poor looks at the least as they directly benefit him.  His comments to 4 elected officials to go back where they came from was embarrassing to me.  He isn't the devil though.  I'm also not a fan of the democratic party.  What they did during the last election to prop Hillary up at the expense of all other candidates (specifically Bernie) was also embarrassing.  I voted 3rd party last election hoping that we could get another party on the ballot. 

I don't know when politics turned into sports where you can only be on one side of the aisle came from but I hate it.   At the end of the day my life under a Trump presidency isn't much different than it was under Obama or Bush.  I have too much in my own life to worry about to let Trump or Hillary or whoever live rent free in my head.  Trump will get his 4 more years and then a dem will get 8 as has happened every cycle during my life with the exception of Bush I.  I will continue to look for candidates who align with my ideas and hope they get elected.  Currently Medicare for all is the topic I am most passionate about and I pay very close attention to every candidate's thoughts on it.  I have done a lot of research on it and am a huge proponent of it.  Any candidate that doesn't support it will not get my vote.

So count at least myself as someone who tries to educate themselves about both sides and reads articles from both sides.  However also count me as someone who hates the whole damn system and thinks it is a bunch of people serving their own interests jointly while sowing discord among us peasants.  Enjoy this excerpt that some of you dyed in red Repubs might not like from the wiki of Donald Trump's political positions: 

Trump registered as a Republican in Manhattan in 1987 and since that time has changed his party affiliation five times. In 1999, Trump changed his party affiliation to the Independence Party of New York. In August 2001, Trump changed his party affiliation to Democratic. In September 2009, Trump changed his party affiliation back to the Republican Party. In December 2011, Trump changed to "no party affiliation" (independent). In April 2012, Trump again returned to the Republican Party.[3]

In a 2004 interview, Trump told CNN's Wolf Blitzer: "In many cases, I probably identify more as Democrat," explaining: "It just seems that the economy does better under the Democrats than the Republicans. Now, it shouldn't be that way. But if you go back, I mean it just seems that the economy does better under the Democrats...But certainly we had some very good economies under Democrats, as well as Republicans. But we've had some pretty bad disaster under the Republicans."[4] In a July 2015 interview, Trump said that he has a broad range of political positions and that "I identify with some things as a Democrat."[3]

section, they've got NOTHING at all to proceed with, it's just a joke and circus waste of time

they have to get over Trump winning the election, he's going to do it again in another year.

21 hours ago, TH3 said:

First.....you ask the progressives a question......check your first 20 responses...who replied and in what manner? Tells you all you need to know about this place....

Secondly.....do you consider the sourced material linked by the regulars to be non partisan?

Yep... this pretty much sums it up... :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, section122 said:

... However also count me as someone who hates the whole damn system and thinks it is a bunch of people serving their own interests jointly while sowing discord among us peasants.  ...

thank you for an all around good post.

i am glad that you try to glean the wheat for all the chaff out there, it can be hard these days.

to the above quoted....

same as it ever was.

divide and conquer...

same. 

as.

it.

ever.

was. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, section122 said:

So count at least myself as someone who tries to educate themselves about both sides and reads articles from both sides.  However also count me as someone who hates the whole damn system and thinks it is a bunch of people serving their own interests jointly while sowing discord among us peasants. 

This particular passage stands out to me because it describes a majority of the posters here. Almost nobody here supported Trump during the run-up to the 2016 elections. Go back to some of the threads back then and see for yourself. Most of what you have here in the way of Trump supporters nowadays are people who are pleasantly surprised at many of the policies he's adopted and are sick of the constant barrage leveled at both themselves and the president. 

As for those who post sourced material here, B-Man is definitely a conservative who posts from conservative sources, but he's honest about his biases and doesn't try to pretend he's anything other than what he is. On the other hand, DR is more of a liberal than anything else. He's just not afraid to post material that is critical of the left because he's more concerned with truth than he is with politics.

If you do lurk here, then you probably do know that this place isn't just a right-wing echo chamber. I know some people can be rude, but don't let them spoil your desire to participate. Try to keep an open mind when engaging people and you'll find much of the discussion to be worthwhile.   

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, Azalin said:

This particular passage stands out to me because it describes a majority of the posters here. Almost nobody here supported Trump during the run-up to the 2016 elections. Go back to some of the threads back then and see for yourself. Most of what you have here in the way of Trump supporters nowadays are people who are pleasantly surprised at many of the policies he's adopted and are sick of the constant barrage leveled at both themselves and the president. 

As for those who post sourced material here, B-Man is definitely a conservative who posts from conservative sources, but he's honest about his biases and doesn't try to pretend he's anything other than what he is. On the other hand, DR is more of a liberal than anything else. He's just not afraid to post material that is critical of the left because he's more concerned with truth than he is with politics.

If you do lurk here, then you probably do know that this place isn't just a right-wing echo chamber. I know some people can be rude, but don't let them spoil your desire to participate. Try to keep an open mind when engaging people and you'll find much of the discussion to be worthwhile.   

Good post.  Fair.  Just hope we get through the flames and live by your words!

I am definitely left yet think their environment polices are off the rails @ times.

I live with it.  It (Leftist enviro policy) can only harm the economy... Which I am not happy about. Because that harms me and what I do with regard to the economy and environment. But a clean world is still better.

I am just being selfish if I lean right because of enviro polices.  Sure it would benefit me and my family in an occupational way. Professionally we are balancing both here while heavy industry and shipping thrives in a drastically improving environment... So some right wing economic policies mixed with left wing enviro regulation and stewardship is working.  It doesn't have to be zero-sum, economy or environment.

I still support the left but just in a "Rambunctious Garden" approach when dealing with the environment and economy.

"As these words were spoken I swear I hear the old man laughing.
What good is a used up world and how could it be worth having?"

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Azalin said:

well said, Azalin. thank you.

• Like (+1) 1

When you come on a message board, any message board and state lies as facts, you're going to get replies you probably won't like.

Everyday lefties come on PPP and repeat the same old lies. They never try to listen to another point of view that's different than there's. 

They don't want a dialogue, they want to continue to be the victims. 

• Like (+1) 4

5 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Good post.  Fair.  Just hope we get through the flames and live by your words!

I am definitely left yet think their environment polices are off the rails @ times.

I live with it.  It (Leftist enviro policy) can only harm the economy... Which I am not happy about. Because that harms me and what I do with regard to the economy and environment. But a clean world is still better.

I am just being selfish if I lean right because of enviro polices.  Sure it would benefit me and my family in an occupational way. Professionally we are balancing both here while heavy industry and shipping thrives in a drastically improving environment... So some right wing economic policies mixed with left wing enviro regulation and stewardship is working.  It doesn't have to be zero-sum, economy or environment.

I still support the left but just in a "Rambunctious Garden" approach when dealing with the environment and economy.

"As these words were spoken I swear I hear the old man laughing.
What good is a used up world and how could it be worth having?"

I am not sure that is selfish as no one wants to see rivers on fire. By the same token, no one wants to be told the puddle of rainwater on their land is under the province of the EPA.  Too far in either direction isn't really a good thing.

• Like (+1) 6

It is amazing to me that a person could come out and say that they don't agree with the Left's environmental policies but they will go along with them because they are a Leftist. That approach simply denies reality. It is/was the same approach used with getting the ACA rammed through Congress. The ACA could never work because it was inherently flawed. It ignored the Law of Large Numbers which is the whole basis of how insurance works. On top of that, the people charged with implementing it were flat out incompetent and married to ideas that might make a person feel good but weren't based on logic.

To me, as a classical environmentalist I'm all for clean air, water and ground. Our money should be spent on practical solutions, not what makes a person feel good. The Left is so convinced that they have the only path to saving the planet based on what? Are their policies based on any practical solutions? Does eliminating cows and airplanes do anything for improving the environment or our lives? We have, over the last couple of decades perfected the process of fracking to the point that over that time we have reduced our carbon emissions here in the USA by about 20%. It was accomplished by tapping into our vast natural gas deposits and using that natural gas to replace the dirty coal fired plants producing electricity. We've also converted many vehicles (mainly fleet) to natural gas which is somewhat cleaner than gasoline.

We'll eventually find or improve cleaner forces of energy than what we have now. In the meantime we have a relatively clean fuel in the type of quantity that we can actually export to other countries and improve their environment. Leftists like AOC and Elizabeth Warren want to hinder our ability to access and transport our cleaner energy. Vast amounts of other Leftists have signed on to these policies. They ignore reality and promote their fairy tales read to you by scientists such as a former bartender and a Harvard professor who was an accomplished linguist and who could speak with a forked tongue. Elizabeth Warren stated unequivocally that on her first day in office as president she would ban all fracking.

California is the 5th largest economy in the world. So large that it offers a realistic example of what happens to a state that has become the petri dish for Leftists policies. They have based their policies on misguided pie in the sky ideas that have no practical purpose but act as endorphins to the easily fooled and sculpted Leftists. California gas prices are about $2 higher per gallon than prices in the Midwest. They have their own specific formula that other states don't have. That coupled with their high taxes on gasoline and their moratorium on pipelines have made their state less competitive to other states, and more expensive to live in. They are now cutting off electricity to certain areas during fire season. Why? Because the Leftists protestors convinced local municipalities that trimming tree branches around electrical lines was not environmentally friendly. Oh, and let's not forget that clearing deadfall and brush in forested areas took a back seat to building a railroad from nowhere to nowhere. They chose the Delta Smelt over irrigating the San Juaquin Valley during severe drought. You know, one of our country's major bread baskets. Their policies allow for rampant homelessness that is bringing back medieval diseases along with feeding rats and spreading the stench of despair throughout their communities. California, America's Petri Dish brought to you by the Wishful Left.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

It is amazing to me that a person could come out and say that they don't agree with the Left's environmental policies but they will go along with them because they are a Leftist. That approach simply denies reality. It is/was the same approach used with getting the ACA rammed through Congress. The ACA could never work because it was inherently flawed. It ignored the Law of Large Numbers which is the whole basis of how insurance works. On top of that, the people charged with implementing it were flat out incompetent and married to ideas that might make a person feel good but weren't based on logic.

it's all a fad and a style and a posture to them

11 hours ago, Azalin said:

I appreciate the response.  To the bolded I am just a lurker by nature.  I've been on the board in general for 10+ years and have less than 5k posts.  I like to read both sides of the issues and like I said I come here for the conservative view.  Maybe an echo chamber is too strong but this place really isn't kind to liberal views lol.  I don't mind that as I know what I will see when I come here but as I said I like to constantly challenge my beliefs.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, section122 said:

I appreciate the response.  To the bolded I am just a lurker by nature.  I've been on the board in general for 10+ years and have less than 5k posts.  I like to read both sides of the issues and like I said I come here for the conservative view.  Maybe an echo chamber is too strong but this place really isn't kind to liberal views lol.  I don't mind that as I know what I will see when I come here but as I said I like to constantly challenge my beliefs.

PPP is not kind to people who don't do their homework and spew what the msm or crackpot right leaning sources feed them. A perfect example are the tards that come down here out of nowhere and try to dispute DR work over the last three years. DR, who usually has the patience of Job will give them a few places to look for their answers but the drive-by posters then expect to have three years of work explained to them in detail. Then they bitchlike crazy when they are referred back to source material. FWIW, most liberals don't think things through. They "feel" their way to certain conclusions and when confronted with contrary facts they just continue on their merry "feeling" way.

• Like (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

PPP is not kind to people who don't do their homework and spew what the msm or crackpot right leaning sources feed them. A perfect example are the tards that come down here out of nowhere and try to dispute DR work over the last three years. DR, who usually has the patience of Job will give them a few places to look for their answers but the drive-by posters then expect to have three years of work explained to them in detail. Then they bitchlike crazy when they are referred back to source material. FWIW, most liberals don't think things through. They "feel" their way to certain conclusions and when confronted with contrary facts they just continue on their merry "feeling" way.

I think it's important to note, too, that we've driven off more than a few "conservatives" who contributed nothing but bumper sticker bull#### as well.  Who was the Trump supporter from a few years back who lasted about six weeks?  Then there's Rich in Ohio.  And Baskin...or so he says.

2 hours ago, DC Tom said:

I think it's important to note, too, that we've driven off more than a few "conservatives" who contributed nothing but bumper sticker bull#### as well.  Who was the Trump supporter from a few years back who lasted about six weeks?  Then there's Rich in Ohio.  And Baskin...or so he says.

That Elma guy was one but he got driven off for racist comments. Baskin claimed he used to be a conservative but he was just faking it. The guy with the Bill Murray avatar who was a misogynist.