An observation on Josh Allen's three picks

Simon

I'm not 100% sure but I think all three of them came on first down, which makes them even worse.

Somebody correct me if I'm having a senior moment......

Also worth noting that two of them were thrown at Zay Jones who didn't manage to compete for either of them. If you're looking for a way to get your QB to stop looking your way, standing around watching defenders attack balls that you should be attacking is an excellent strategy.

• Like (+1) 12
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Simon said:

I'm not 100% sure but I think all three of them came on first down, which makes them even worse.

Somebody correct me if I'm having a senior moment......

Also worth noting that two of them were thrown at Zay Jones who didn't manage to compete for either of them. If you're looking for a way to get your QB to stop looking your way, standing around watching defenders attack balls that you should be attacking is an excellent strategy.

Zay did fight somewhat for the one on the side line. What I saw today was a lack of Allen rolling to his left. I just noticed it today. I will keep an eye on that. It also seemed as though Belichick knew Allen rolled to his right  more often than left.

• Like (+1) 3

34 minutes ago, JinxedBill said:

You’re right. He’s super bad. Everyone who said he’d never be good you were so right,  must be good to feel vindicated on an anonymous message board where the points don’t matter.

Actually I didn't say anything remotely resembling that and I have stated on more than one occasion that I think he is going to be a good NFL QB.

So feel free to **** off and go pollute somebody else's thread.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I don't get all the Zay hate on the picks.  The biggest thing I noticed is that the Pats secondary was sitting back and waiting on the ball, vs running with our guys and playing the ball and the man.  In each case, there was someone over top running towards the ball in support.  That's just good, over the top zone coverage.  

That's why it's completely on Allen to me.  On each INT, the Pats were playing center field and reacting to Josh's throws.  That's a lot different than Josh throwing it up and letting our guy make a play for it.  

I feel like I'm describing this wrong.   

• Like (+1) 7

Allen also threw a couple off his back foot. Not kinda leaning back, but while striding backwards. We saw him stand tall in a muddied pocket for the last 3 weeks, but today he wouldn't for some reason. It was a little frustrating. If he had just kept his cool for a split second more he could've made a better throw.

I'll need to watch it closer on the Game Pass.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Zay did fight somewhat for the one on the side line. What I saw today was a lack of Allen rolling to his left. I just noticed it today. I will keep an eye on that. It also seemed as though Belichick knew Allen rolled to his right  more often than left.

He never even left his feet. He just turned around and watched the DB attack the ball.

Good call on his tendency to roll toward what he can see

Sounds like some Zay lover boys ???

you all all know Zay is not, shall we say, shining, right?? 

We have issues with the O, your boy is part of those issues, not the whole problem for sure, but certainly part of it.  

Go Bills!!!

Just now, LeGOATski said:

Allen also threw a couple off his back foot. Not kinda leaning back, but while striding backwards. We saw him stand tall in a muddied pocket for the last 3 weeks, but today he wouldn't for some reason. It was a little frustrating. If he had just kept his cool for a split second more he could've made a better throw.

I'll need to watch it closer on the Game Pass.

Yeah, I remember saying uh-oh as soon as he let the one pick go while he was floating backwards.

I understand the OLine was atrocious and he had guys around his feet all day, but he needs to recognize that all his accuracy issues occur when he's not throwing from a solid platform.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, VW82 said:

Any observations on the first half fumble that we miraculously recovered?

Yeah, they were behind schedule again because of yet another dipstick penalty on the OLine

If I remember the passes to Zay that were picks, they were more than 10 yards.  Zay is not an intermediate to long receiver.  He does better with short to intermediate passes.  I don't know why Daboll has Zay running longer routes, he just doesn't do a good job with them.

It doesn't help that Josh was not at all accurate with longer passes; he overthrew the receiver by 5 yards on a couple of occasions I recall seeing.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Never throw the ball deep to Zay Jones. 

I am not saying any of the interceptions were not Josh's fault. But throwing to Zay is not a good strategy. He does not track the ball. He does not fight for the ball. He is not fleet of foot. It's just not a good idea and they do it over and over. 

I've reached the point where I just no longer see any reason whatsoever for him to be on the field with the offense.

I know the WR corps is weak but at least give somebody a shot who "feels" like an NFL WR.

I wonder if Zay can block a gunner on return teams, cuz nobody else is doing it. It would be nice ot see Andre Roberts have even a little room to work

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Never throw the ball deep to Zay Jones. 

I am not saying any of the interceptions were not Josh's fault. But throwing to Zay is not a good strategy. He does not track the ball. He does not fight for the ball. He is not fleet of foot. It's just not a good idea and they do it over and over. 

well Zay did reel in 4 yards on two catches and 8 targets  Seriously I'm at the point I want KB back

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I don't get all the Zay hate on the picks.  The biggest thing I noticed is that the Pats secondary was sitting back and waiting on the ball, vs running with our guys and playing the ball and the man.  In each case, there was someone over top running towards the ball in support.  That's just good, over the top zone coverage.  

That's why it's completely on Allen to me.  On each INT, the Pats were playing center field and reacting to Josh's throws.  That's a lot different than Josh throwing it up and letting our guy make a play for it.  

I feel like I'm describing this wrong.   

And in each of those throws, his mechanics were simply bad. 

We needed a dink and dunk offense, but went for the heavyweight fight!

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, ganesh said:

And in each of those throws, his mechanics were simply bad. 

We needed a dink and dunk offense, but went for the heavyweight fight!

I hope Daboll sees this and implements more of the quick, shorter passes.  They came out in the third quarter running shorter patterns and had some success.  They're not going to be able to exactly mimic NE's offense, but at least start to trend that way.  Our o-line doesn't pass protect well enough for longer patterns nor is Allen accurate enough.

• Like (+1) 1