The Duke Williams Bandwagon Post

ChicagoRic

11 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Guess you missed the part where I twice said UDFA and LOW round draft picks.  They did a whole thing this year about it on ESPN in the offseason where it was close to half the league and showing how important late draft picks and UDFA are even though the general incorrect assumption by fans is that they aren't as important.  

Just the UDFA alone listed in that article would represent nearly 30% of the NFL.  I would say thats a pretty important piece of the NFL wouldn't you?  And again in both my OP and reply I specifically stated low round picks and UDFA...not hard to imagine another 15 - 20% coming from late round picks given nearly 30% is from UDFA right?

Sorry, my original statement is fact, and not made up.  You did accuse me of blindly making it up even though you clearly had no idea if it was true or not.

As far as the PS stuff, yeah we can agree to disagree.  I stand by the fact its foolish to dismiss PS players and just blindly assume they dont have something to offer if given the chance on the active 53, maybe even more so than someone currently on the active 53.

I read that article as well, I did not no at that time that UDFA made up such a large percentage of NFL players, not to mention late rounders.

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

Just a theory, but I remember Beane stating in an August article that WR speed wasn’t that important in bad weather and that he preferred bigger bodies who can make catches in tough weather conditions. Could it be that Sunday’s weather forecast of rain is playing into this decision?

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2015/01/dhaquille_williams_will_begin.html

Article reminding what his potential was before he got into the off field stuff.  Duke was being talked about as the #1 WR draft prospect heading into his senior year.  

Also, his combine numbers were off because he had not been at his best after being suspended and not playing.  He’s not as slow as the numbers suggest.  Not a speed burner, but he is fast enough to play WR in the NFL.

No chance he is activated this week if Josh isn’t cleared to play, they will need the open roster spot for Webb unless they want him active enough to also release another player.  But if Josh is cleared, I do think there is a strong chance he will get the call this week.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2015/01/dhaquille_williams_will_begin.html

Article reminding what his potential was before he got into the off field stuff.  Duke was being talked about as the #1 WR draft prospect heading into his senior year.  

Also, his combine numbers were off because he had not been at his best after being suspended and not playing.  He’s not as slow as the numbers suggest.  Not a speed burner, but he is fast enough to play WR in the NFL.

No chance he is activated this week if Josh isn’t cleared to play, they will need the open roster spot for Webb unless they want him active enough to also release another player.  But if Josh is cleared, I do think there is a strong chance he will get the call this week.  

I thought the turn off was his stiff hips and lack of speed through breaks (is separation)... beyond speed and off the feild stuff. And a linemen like 3 cone drill? 

I guess you can improve that stuff if he didn’t work that hard in college 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I thought the turn off was his stiff hips and lack of speed through breaks (is separation)... beyond speed and off the feild stuff. 

I guess you can improve that stuff if he if he didn’t work that hard in college 

When he was at the combine, he had not been playing and wasn’t in the same conditioning he was at start of season when he was being so highly regarded.  All part of his maturity issues and off field stuff.

Again, he’s clearly not a burner, but his combine also probably isn’t really an accurate barometer today to go off of as he wasn’t at his best at that time.

10 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I thought the turn off was his stiff hips and lack of speed through breaks (is separation)... beyond speed and off the feild stuff. And a linemen like 3 cone drill? 

I guess you can improve that stuff if he didn’t work that hard in college 

Wasn't the same thing said about DK Metcalf at the combine?  He is playing well right now

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

When he was at the combine, he had not been playing and wasn’t in the same conditioning he was at start of season when he was being so highly regarded.  All part of his maturity issues and off field stuff.

Again, he’s clearly not a burner, but his combine also probably isn’t really an accurate barometer today to go off of as he wasn’t at his best at that time.

Plenty of good WRs were/are slow. Larry, Dez, Jeffrey, Marshall... AJ Brown in Ten.

The real factor will be can he make contested catches playing starting NFL corners who are way better athletes that him. 

Part of the contested catching game is where QB puts it too.  Me personally I don’t buy the josh is inaccurate stuff. I’ve seen him place ridiculous fastballs in tight windows.   I think he makes bad choices sometime and struggle with touch. 

His passes to Cole (another “slow” guy) have been insanely accurate most of the time, imo. 

Contested catches don’t have to be touch passes. 

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Plenty of good WRs were/are slow. Larry, Dez, Jeffrey, Marshall... AJ Brown in Ten.

The real factor will be can he make contested catches playing starting NFL corners who are way better athletes that him. 

Part of the contested catching game is where QB puts it too.  Me personally I don’t buy the josh is inaccurate stuff. I’ve seen him place ridiculous fastballs in tight windows.   I think he makes bad choices sometime and struggle with touch. 

His passes to Cole (another “slow” guy) have been insanely accurate most of the time, imo. 

Contested catches don’t have to be touch passes. 

Yeah agree with that.  Plus I have seen a number of passes by Allen this year not get caught that should have been caught.  Zay had the TD hit both hands against the Giants and failed to make the scoop that hit both his hands against the Pats.  Foster dropped one on the sideline.  Knox had a couple go right through his hands.  And so on and so on.  

Having a big catch radius guy guy right now feels like it could be of value and help diversify the options for Josh.

If you think about it, Brown and Cole are small and dominate targets.  Our RBs are small targets.  Only real target regularly involved that isn’t small is Knox and he’s still developing too.  Be nice if Josh has more than 1 tiny option out there consistently involved to look for to help move chains who also has a big catch radius and reliable hands.

Zay isnt tiny, but him and Josh can’t seem to find a groove or any chemistry either, so maybe Duke can build more rapport with him.  And they don’t need to get rid of Zay to find out given they already have an open roster spot.

14 minutes ago, 17islongenough said:

Wasn't the same thing said about DK Metcalf at the combine?  He is playing well right now

Mostly except he can fly he’s a 4.35 ish guy... I know 40s aren’t everything but sub 4.4 speed means something for sure.he was open by 10 yards last night on that long TD. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah agree with that.  Plus I have seen a number of passes by Allen this year not get caught that should have been caught.  Zay had the TD hit both hands against the Giants and failed to make the scoop that hit both his hands against the Pats.  Foster dropped one on the sideline.  Knox had a couple go right through his hands.  And so on and so on.  

Having a big catch radius guy guy right now feels like it could be of value and help diversify the options for Josh.

If you think about it, Brown and Cole are small and dominate targets.  Our RBs are small targets.  Only real target regularly involved that isn’t small is Knox and he’s still developing too.  Be nice if Josh has more than 1 tiny option out there consistently involved to look for to help move chains who also has a big catch radius and reliable hands.

Zay isnt tiny, but him and Josh can’t seem to find a groove or any chemistry either, so maybe Duke can build more rapport with him.  And they don’t need to get rid of Zay to find out given they already have an open roster spot.

That underlined bit seems like it’s become a fact, for whatever reason, which has been debated adnaseum, really isn’t important.  

It’s obvious there is no chemistry based on the targets alone and after this long no reason to expect it to happen. Then you’ve got trade block rumors, nasty tweets. Writing is appearing on the wall. 

I just wish theyd they’d get a real stud WR. I like the top two guys now, but would really enjoy seeing one more that’s even better. Diggs is my favorite in the rumor hopper. Evans my favorite pipe dream. Emanuel sanders might actually be plausible.  I have troubles beliveing they found A WR equivalent to FJax here ... but let’s see what they do 

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

That underlined bit seems like it’s become a fact, for whatever reason, which has been debated adnaseum, really isn’t important.  

It’s obvious there is no chemistry based on the targets alone and after this long no reason to expect it to happen. Then you’ve got trade block rumors, nasty tweets. Writing is appearing on the wall. 

I just wish theyd they’d get a real stud WR. I like the top two guys now, but would really enjoy seeing one more that’s even better. Diggs is my favorite in the rumor hopper. Evans my favorite pipe dream. Emanuel sanders might actually be plausible.  I have troubles beliveing they found A WR equivalent to FJax here ... but let’s see what they do 

Agree with all this, although I am definitely more optimistic on Dukes ability to help the team, at least more than Zay, Foster, and McKenzie have combined for through 4 games.

Evans would be a huge get, but I just can’t see him being traded at all.  I would love Diggs, but I’m skeptical he will be traded too, and if he is, not sure he can be had for a price tag Beane will be comfortable spending ahead of a draft with some special WR prospects in it.

Sanders I think is the most possible and reasonably priced get IMO, and he would certainly be an upgrade still.

However, while I would be stoked to get any of those WRs, I would still like to see what Duke could do first to see if we need to even make that move right now, especially given the top end WR prospects in this next draft.  Not saying Duke is gonna be huge, but if he can diversify and compliment this offense enough for now, we can look at grabbing one of the stud prospects in the draft this year, even move up if needed using the assets we might have used in a trade to help get there.