Adam Vinatieri might be retiring

BillsFan4

Vinatieri is a HOF kicker. Once again the Pats had the great fortune to sign him when they did. Just like Brady. Goddam I hate them. 

One of the neatest pieces of trivia around Vinatieri which has nothing to do with football is that his great great grandfather was in Custer's band of the 7th cavalry but did not participate in the fighting at Little Big Horn and survived.

51 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Of course.   But after futzing up the kicks today, there's no denying that he's finished and knows its time to move on...

He might still be better than anyone they'd bring in.

I get that he's earned the right to go out on his own terms. I'm just not a fan of quitting on your team.

12 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

He might still be better than anyone they'd bring in.

I get that he's earned the right to go out on his own terms. I'm just not a fan of quitting on your team.

He’s a kicker. Most guys on the team have probably never even spoken to him. Very easy to plug in a capable replacement and not miss a beat. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Chuck Schick said:

He’s a kicker. Most guys on the team have probably never even spoken to him. Very easy to plug in a capable replacement and not miss a beat. 

This is the kind of thinking that keeps bad organizations bad. A great kicker is an incredible asset. Every play a kicker is involved with is either a scoring play or a play that results in a big change in field position. No intelligent modern football fan dismisses this part of the game so casually. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Chuck Schick said:

He's Adam Vinatieri. Are you familiar with his accomplishments? My guess is his teammates are.

Also, did you watch Jets-Bills? Maybe the Colts can bring in Vedvik.

Look, I'm not trying to make a bigger deal of this than it may be - so far it's just conjecture - just not a fan of players walking away during the season.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/15/colts-hope-to-talk-adam-vinatieri-out-of-retirement/

And I don't think Vinatieri is retiring simply because he missed a couple kicks. It's probably physical or at least psychological. And if a player believes he is hurting the team and will continue to do so, I'd prefer he step down (yes, even mid season) than continuing to hurt the team going forward. It isn't as if he quit at halftime.

• Like (+1) 2

He has plenty of range left, usually a kicker starts to lose range. He was hitting from 60+ in practice apparently. He’s probably overthinking the misses, you can tell he’s overcompensating from each of the previous misses. Now why it would get to him now after years of it not? It could simply be a combo of the misses and the fact that he feels he has to produce at his age to justify continuing. At the same time he has nothing left to prove. 

Matt Bryant player at 44, he missed a 50 yarder but his other kicks were fine (including another 50 he made with relative ease), he had no training camp and had to do kickoffs because their other kicker injured his groin. 

Now you have two choices, you retire (he may), or you work it out (he may). Could they try and talk him out of retiring? Perhaps, especially if there is no immediate option to plug in. I mean look at what happened to the Jets. No doubt they don’t want him to get ahead of himself because he certainly isn’t the only kicker to have had struggles.

Gostkowski missed just as many kicks against Miami but wouldn’t feel the same pressure because his team was crushing them. For all you know is he comes out has a perfect game his confidence is back and strings a good streak together like a few years ago when he started bad. I’m sure they remind him of that and he makes the ultimate decision. I’m sure he doesn’t want to hurt his team, but at the same time if it’s a workable issue retiring now could be worse for the team. I’m sure it’s a tough decision and unlike a lot of kickers he’s got a track record of consistency. 

Edited by yrly

9 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Look, I'm not trying to make a bigger deal of this than it may be - so far it's just conjecture - just not a fan of players walking away during the season.

you okay with the Colts cutting him?  think that would make him and Colts feel better cause the team walk away from a player, and quite possibly the GOAT ? If he cant get it done anymore, stepping away on his own is better for everyone involved, including the Colts and his teammates

27 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

you okay with the Colts cutting him?  think that would make him and Colts feel better cause the team walk away from a player, and quite possibly the GOAT ? If he cant get it done anymore, stepping away on his own is better for everyone involved, including the Colts and his teammates

No.

Maybe underlying this is I don't believe he can't get it done. He's probably still better than whoever they'd bring in. 

9 hours ago, The Dean said:

This is the kind of thinking that keeps bad organizations bad.

See NY Jets, a team that had some kicking problems, finally settled it, finding a Pro Bowl kicker, then decided that they didn't need to pay him market value and let him leave via free agency. 

This is in sharp contrast to the Buffalo Bills who signed one of the league's best kickers to a 3 year contract 2 years ago and had the foresight to extend him 2 more years rather than risk being the NY Jets.  

Don't be the NY Jets

12 hours ago, Chuck Schick said:

You haven't been watching the NFL lately if you think it's so easy to plug in a capable replacement and not miss a beat. Go talk to Bears fans about kickers. Vikings and Jets tried to do the same thing just plugging someone. There's a reason why good kickers can keep steady work with the same team well into their 40s today

12 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

He's Adam Vinatieri. Are you familiar with his accomplishments? My guess is his teammates are.

Also, did you watch Jets-Bills? Maybe the Colts can bring in Vedvik.

Generally, I'm not either. But If Vinitari was some rookie kicker he would be cut today. He wont be cut because of who he is. Him walking away (if he chooses to do so) has more to do with doing whats best for the team than himself.

He absolutly could just stick around and get paid. If he chooses to retire, he will be making a very unselfish decision IMO