Proposal calls for new downtown stadium

JoeF

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard this on the way home. Considering the money they just invested in RWS a few years back, I think it is a long shot.

Note to the city councilman who is sponsoring this bill....The city of Buffalo is being governed by a control board. Just maybe......you should consider working on a way for the city to take back control of their affairs instead of coming up with stadium proposals. :ph34r:

I heard this on the way home.  Considering the money they just invested in RWS a few years back, I think it is a long shot. 

Note to the city councilman who is sponsoring this bill....The city of Buffalo is being governed by a control board.  Just maybe......you should consider working on a way for the city to take back control of their affairs instead of stadium proposals. :ph34r:

298043[/snapback]

Didn't know much about the governing structure Labatt thanks...When I think about how places like Baltimore, Atlanta, Jacksonville have centered downtown revitalization around sports facilities--I get excited about what it could mean for Buffalo. The City has the world class aquatics facility, AAA baseball and the arena all in a tight area..a stadium would be the crown jewel. Lets just say Cablevision's bid for Adelphia today is accepted and the Bass Pro stuff comes through---Downtown Buffalo could actually have some hope with the right incentives and tax abbatements...I know its a pipe dream but I have seen it work other places.

For me, it sure would be nice to have a realistic option of moving back there some day...not that I don't love it here (Raleigh, NC)--but there is always something special about where you grew up...

Funny that a story like this would pop up. Was just browsing one of the "NFL stadiums" websites. Arizona will have a new one for 2006. Looks decent. And, I think it was the Colts.....2008.

Also considering are Minnesota, New Orleans, San Diego and maybe one or two others. I guess Dallas gave theirs the thumbs up a few months back.

Didn't know much about the governing structure Labatt thanks...

298046[/snapback]

city government is so fugged up, that it has been taken over by a control board. In other words, Masiello and the city councilmen should all be layed off since their duties are now being taken care of by others.

I can appreciate your enthusiasm for the project. Living in Buffalo for 45 years has taught me otherwise. :ph34r:

city government is so fugged up, that it has been taken over by a control board.  In other words, Masiello and the city councilmen should all be layed off since their duties are now being taken care of by others.

I can appreciate your enthusiasm for the project.  Living in Buffalo for 45 years has taught me otherwise. :ph34r:

298050[/snapback]

Bass Pro Stadium.......it has a nice ring to it.

It's time for Erie County to start using their funds on Powerball tickets. Then you might have a shot.

city government is so fugged up, that it has been taken over by a control board.  In other words, Masiello and the city councilmen should all be layed off since their duties are now being taken care of by others.

298050[/snapback]

Antoine Thompson is the lightest of lightweights. In a city with an overflowing history of prepostrous preposals, this is an all time high (or low, as the case may be).

The city and county can't even keep toilet paper in their bathrooms, yet this guy wants to spend $$$$ for a new stadium. Too bad my pet bird just passed away, this story would've been perfect lining for his cage.

I can appreciate your enthusiasm for the project.  Living in Buffalo for 45 years has taught me otherwise. :ph34r:

298050[/snapback]

Now would be a good time to bring up the issue at least with all the stadium proposals this year it would be only right that the state of of New York put one in downtown Buffalo. It would be HUGE for the city of fallen Buffalo

Downtown Buffalo Stadium

As much as I love the Ralph, this would be great.  It would take the 7 years remaining on the current lease to get this done--but the state of NY needs to balance their contribution to NYC and this is the perfect project.

298041[/snapback]

I've often felt that a downtown stadium with a "great lakes/niagara falls" theme would be pretty cool. How about a giant waterfall in one of the endzones? That would make a good TV backdrop. Also a good way for the EZC to clean the stink off. Time for TBD'ers to start designing.

I've often felt that a downtown stadium with a "great lakes/niagara falls" theme would be pretty cool.  How about a giant waterfall in one of the endzones?  That would make a good TV backdrop.  Also a good way for the EZC to clean the stink off.  Time for TBD'ers to start designing.

298089[/snapback]

Cool idea...then again, with the winds off the lake, it would have to be an "anti-freeze" fall, in order for it to work all season.

Nothing quite like a neon green waterfall as a backdrop.

with the winds off the lake, it would have to be an "anti-freeze" fall, in order for it to work all season.Nothing quite like a neon green waterfall as a backdrop.

A red and blue one might look pretty cool.

Come on people, stop dreaming. Obviously this will never happen. And as far as the "NY got their stadium" argument, NYC has a lot more people than we can dream of....on a population basis, I bet buffalo got more for the ralph than NYC will for their stadium.

And as far as Baltimore, atlanta etc - those cities didn't rebuild around a stadium. They added in a stadium to cities that were doing pretty well as it is.

I've always said the only thing that could make the gameday experience better is if our stadium was right on the water in the city. I think a new stadium would bring so much energy to this franchise and put to rest the rumors that the Bills may one day leave.

I heard this on the way home.  Considering the money they just invested in RWS a few years back, I think it is a long shot. 

Note to the city councilman who is sponsoring this bill....The city of Buffalo is being governed by a control board.  Just maybe......you should consider working on a way for the city to take back control of their affairs instead of coming up with stadium proposals. :ph34r:

298043[/snapback]

My sentiments exactly.

Just when you think Buffalo has enough problems. :)

These guys are real pieces of work. :)

I've often felt that a downtown stadium with a "great lakes/niagara falls" theme would be pretty cool.  How about a giant waterfall in one of the endzones?  That would make a good TV backdrop.  Also a good way for the EZC to clean the stink off.  Time for TBD'ers to start designing.

298089[/snapback]

Instead of a swimming pool in left field like in The Bob, we could have a tobaggan run down the stairs from the top row.

Come on people, stop dreaming. Obviously this will never happen. And as far as the "NY got their stadium" argument, NYC has a lot more people than we can dream of....on a population basis, I bet buffalo got more for the ralph than NYC will for their stadium.

And as far as Baltimore, atlanta etc - those cities didn't rebuild around a stadium. They added in a stadium to cities that were doing pretty well as it is.

298101[/snapback]

So what color should it be?

298101[/snapback]

Negative Nancy!!!!!!!

Instead of a swimming pool in left field like in The Bob, we could have a tobaggan run down the stairs from the top row.

And in order to take a ride you have to make your way through a gauntlet of 50 guys throwing snowballs and another dozen waiting at the top to dive on you if you get too close.

That sounds strangely familiar. :ph34r:

So what color should it be?

:):):o

Negative Nancy!!!!!!!

you are right, I'm going to change my tune.

The stadium should be red and blue, with a big observation deck so you can see Niagara Falls on a clear day, or you can look down on the thousands of people waiting in line to get into bass pro shops.

I like the toboggan idea, but why not a real ski jump? We might as well build it now so we don't have to when Giambra gets the olympics to buffalo in a few years. The downhill was going to be at chestnut ridge, but the rope tow is closed so they may move it to emery park in east aurora. (anybody ever ski there? Pretty funny stuff).

anyway, I'm sorry for all of the negativity and I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEW STADIUM!!!!

298101[/snapback]

gmac--I lived in Atlanta before the Olympic development took place. I have to disagree. The area that is now Centennial Olympic park was a death zone of downtown--it has totally changed that area into an economic engine. The area around turner field/Olympic stadium was basically crack house row--its totally different.

Maybe R Rich or SDS could comment about Baltimore but my understanding is that the football and baseball stadiums were put in areas that were dead zones...

My sentiments exactly.

Just when you think Buffalo has enough problems.  :)

These guys are real pieces of work.  :ph34r:

298108[/snapback]

Their's two ways of looking at this positive and negative. While I know being a Buffalo native it's hard to be positive. The city of Buffalo is in bad shape. Parks are closing cut-backs for schools, etc. The people who are still there are ones suffering, however if Buffalo can revitalize downtown, ie the waterfront, Bass pro, a new stadium, etc the rest will take care of itself. If you think that things can't get any worse for Buffalo just try standing pat. I watched it happen here in Columbus. This was a small city when I came here in 83 but then one sky scraper after another went up and I think its safe to say their was a trickle down effect. The downtown area is beautiful with a stadium for the Blue Jackets and even the "bad parts of downtown have improved.

yeah, but atlanta as a city / area has been doing well. Plus, the olympics are a lot more than a football stadium that gets 10 games per year.

Baltimore had the inner harbor already so it wasn't a total crackhole. Stadiums definitely helped, but they didn't turn the city around LIKE BASS PRO SHOPS WILL!!!!

Downtown Buffalo Stadium

As much as I love the Ralph, this would be great.  It would take the 7 years remaining on the current lease to get this done--but the state of NY needs to balance their contribution to NYC and this is the perfect project.

298041[/snapback]

LOL...I can't help thinking about the movie ROGER AND ME----and the FLINT CONVENTION CENTER--or whatever they called it.

yeah, but atlanta as a city / area has been doing well. Plus, the olympics are a lot more than a football stadium that gets 10 games per year.

Baltimore had the inner harbor already so it wasn't a total crackhole. Stadiums definitely helped, but they didn't turn the city around LIKE BASS PRO SHOPS WILL!!!!

298124[/snapback]

The Olympics is 16 days the last I checked. Not even two football seasons. The city had a group of leaders with vision and they implemented a plan. They invested over $4 Billion dollars in infrastructure with their own, state and federal resources. Buffalo can scale to a new football stadium. The ingress and egress to most downtown sites is already quite good...Atlanta had to rebuild all that...

Downtown vacancies were at an all time high in the early 90's in ATL, the downtown was losing long term tenants, underground atlanta was failing--all reversed because of a bold vision. The Olympics to Atlanta is the Bills to Buffalo.

A football team is sustainable economic impact over time.....I am not trying to debate..but the alternative is to probably sink further into the abyss...it takes some bold action like this to bring economic investment and the City has missed so many opportunties it probably can't afford not to do something like this.

I think not...should be removed from the above statement.

298136[/snapback]

Sound--how much do you think the city will actually pay for a new stadium--actual dollars from the city or county budget....how much tax income will flow for to the city from payroll taxes and other revenue streams that a major project will create.

There are people in the Federal Government that actually want to see Buffalo do well and revitalize--and the money we are talking about is equiviliant to a windshield wiper on a Stealth Bomber...There is also bonding authority...the county still has an A bond rating from Fitch--you don't need more schools, roads are always and issue but what else do you use good bond ratings for...

I won't go further than this on this thread--but I have seen first hand how this stuff comes together because of various Olympic organizing jobs the last twenty years..Buffalo can do this...hell the area mistakingly poured about $100 million into facilities for the 93 World University games--which was huge mistake--they can find money to do this..

I am out on this one---but I would ask you all that live in Buffalo not to write this off so quickly but look at the numbers and the potential.

I realize economic hope is in short supply in WNY--but you don't revitalize without a major kickstart..

Sorry to post so much on this thread...sorry to drone on...

One has to wonder if there may be any ramifications for having an older stadium. Every other NFL city seems to have a new stadium. Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Boston, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Washington DC, Tampa, Nashville, St. Louis, Seattle, Denver, Phoenix (2006), Indy (2008), Dallas (future), Houston, NY Jets?, Chicago (major renovations), Green Bay (renovations).

That's a lot of cities. Is there a somewhat secret policy to have all NFL teams outfitted with new stadiums? There are talks in Minneapolis, New Orleans and San Diego for new stadiums. A vast majority of NFL cities either have a new stadium or have plans at various stages in the mix. A downtown stadium, just the concept would be nice......but it seems easily to be too much a luxury item. If the Wilson family had plenty of money, a new stadium could possibly be funded privately. That will not happen.

What is the structural integrity of Ralph Wilson Stadium? It must be in pretty good shape still I would assume.

Buffalo's major mistake was building the large UB campus in Amherst. Put that on the waterfront 40 years ago and see what kind of critical mass would have been created in those 4 decades.

Sound--how much do you think the city will actually pay for a new stadium--actual dollars from the city or county budget....how much tax income will flow for to the city from payroll taxes and other revenue streams that a major project will create. 

There are people in the Federal Government that actually want to see Buffalo do well and revitalize--and the money we are talking about is equiviliant to a windshield wiper on a Stealth Bomber...

I won't go further than this on this thread--but I have seen first hand how this stuff comes together because of various Olympic organizing jobs the last twenty years..Buffalo can do this...hell the area mistakingly poured about $100 million into facilities for the 93 World University games--which was huge mistake--they can find money to do this..

I am out on this one---but I would ask you all that live in Buffalo not to write this off so quickly but look at the numbers and the potential.

I realize economic hope is in short supply in WNY--but you don't revitalize without a major kickstart..

Sorry to post so much on this thread...sorry to drone on...

298143[/snapback]

It will take 10 years to build A.Brown stadium. Ralph will be a young 88.

The time comes and Ralph's family sells the team and we have a new downtown stadium for the Erie Community College Kats! I do commend A.Brown for his bold vocal concern of keeping the Bills here in W.N.Y.. I wonder why nobody in the goverment, or the media has talked (or have they) with Ralph lately about what will happen to the Bills in the future.

A. Brown, try and get some I.S.T.E.A. funds and finish the rail line.

No thanks...Im happy just the way it is.

Im a 27 year season ticket holder. I had my excellent seats moved once already

after the remodel job...And I still hold a grudge. :ph34r:

If a new stadium is built...us season ticket holders are going to get stuck paying

for personal seat licenses . That would cost 5 times more than the season tickets.

One has to wonder if there may be any ramifications for having an older stadium. 

That's a lot of cities.  Is there a somewhat secret policy to have all NFL teams outfitted with new stadiums?  There are talks in Minneapolis, New Orleans and San Diego for new stadiums.  A vast majority of NFL cities either have a new stadium or have plans at various stages in the mix. 

298152[/snapback]

It is not a secret :doh: - the NFL policy is to get as many publicly funded stadiums as possible leaving more for other investments and profit. The more they do that, the more the value of the teams go up.

Besides scheduling Superbowls, the NFL does a lot of cherry picking in other part of schedules depending how favorible the stadium is to various networks, press, etc.

If the NFL could have their way they would be funded by government like politicians with retirement at full benefits after a few years and full staff paid for and all of the perks you could ask for.

after the remodel job...And I still hold a grudge. :angry:

If a new stadium is built...us season ticket holders are going to get stuck paying

for personal seat licenses . That would cost 5 times more than the season tickets.

298173[/snapback]

The point is, if things continue the way they are in WNY, you may not even have the option of a seat liscense. How much longer can that area support an NFL franchise, in todays corporate climate, without some sort of new ideas. If putting the UB campus in Amherst was the biggest mistake made in Buffalo, putting the home of the Buffalo Bills in Orchard Park was at least top 5. I love Rich Stadium (what it was when I had season tickets) and Orchard Park, but a stadium in downtown Buffalo would be incredible. It would not only go a long way toward stabilizing the Bills future in Buffalo, but would benefit the entire area. It should have happened 15 years ago.

Personally, I am surprised that these types of proposals have not come up a lot more often.

Get 'er done TD! :doh:

Antoine Thompson is the lightest of lightweights.  In a city with an overflowing history of prepostrous preposals, this is an all time high (or low, as the case may be). 

The city and county can't even keep toilet paper in their bathrooms, yet this guy wants to spend $$$$ for a new stadium.  Too bad my pet bird just passed away, this story would've been perfect lining for his cage.

298086[/snapback]

Well said. What a joke. Talk about appealing to people's deepest hopes. What a schmuck.

By the way, passing resolutions is cheap, but actually building stadiums isn't.

It will never happen.

I like our current stadium. Plenty of parking. Great neighborhood, even with the Bro ( Hammer) next door. :doh: . Multiple routes/thruways to access it. The Bills chose wisely 30 + years ago. With the current lease and the age of our owner, the headline is nothing more than political grandstanding without any substance.

Although I do like the waterfall idea. That would be cool ( Giggling like Butthead).

It was smarter though to put a baseball stadium downtown. As long as the structural integrity of the Ralphie Richy Rich Stadium is fine, there is no need at all (for a new stadium). I think Thompson bringing the discussion up doesn't hurt. He obviously should be paying attention to more pertinent things.....you know like a budget crisis and day-to-day issues. Just the idea that the concept of a new stadium being brought up is good, even if it is fodder.

after the remodel job...And I still hold a grudge. :doh:

298173[/snapback]

Yeah.... It's all about YOU!