Tonight was very special for some of our players

KingBoots8

I can easily say for the first time in a long while there isn’t anyone on this team I want to see leave after cuts. I get this sense that there’s a really deep bond between these guys, and the cuts are really going to hurt.

Tonight the Bills did something they haven’t done in a long time- went undefeated in the Preseason. While to 53 players this won’t mean all that much, there are some who played their last NFL game tonight. It’s a very sad sentiment, but to go out with a win at home has got to be the way to do it if you could have it your way.

Cheers to this team, this staff, and these players for putting something great together. Enjoy this night- you have all earned it.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 10

People can make fun of/trivialize culture all they want.  But it's clear that McDermott has built a very selfless, respectful culture.  I know culture doesn't necessarily win games.  But a poor culture absolutely loses them.

• Like (+1) 23
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't make too much of it all. But I will say it was the most enjoyable (start to finish) last preseason Bills game I can remember.  And while the W/L doesn't make any difference, the fact that the guys on the field at the time are still playing their asses off to get the W, does make a difference, IMO.  To see the emotion on the sideline of all players not active, suggest something special MIGHT be going on.  If they build on that through the season, and keep it when things go sideways,  then they just may be on to something here. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, The Dean said:

I don't make too much of it all. But I will say it was the most enjoyable (start to finish) last preseason Bills game I can remember.  And while the W/L doesn't make any difference, the fact that the guys on the field at the time are still playing their asses off to get the W, does make a difference, IMO.  To see the emotion on the sideline of all players not active, suggest something special MIGHT be going on.  If they build on that through the season, and keep it when things go sideways,  then they just may be on to something here. 

There are ways to win PS games that are bad.  If we played 1s, 2s, or even 3s well into this game for example.  or game planned a ton, or blitzed a ton.  That's not what happened.  They played their usual vanillaish game with the guys they should have been using and the game was won by a couple guys making individual plays, not because of scheme or lopsided talent on the field.  Kyle Peko made 2 great individual plays on 3rd downs to get the ball back, Murphy's PR, even the GW drive. It was a scramble, a screen pass with penalty yards tacked on, and a square in.  Nothing crazy, just well executed.  

The previous games the staff obviously had a plan and Beane alluded to it.  They threw a lot intentionally weeks 1 and 2, ran a lot week 3.  They didn't deviate from that plan regardless of the score in those games.  Starters played appropriate amounts and, for the most part, the games were won by the backups (and in some cases the deeeep backups)  That's fine with me.  You want those guys to not be terrible and you want everyone balling out when they are on the field trying to win.  Does it mean anything for week 1 that we won tonight? Not at all, but I like the way they did it.

Edited by That's No Moon

7 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

There are ways to win PS games that are bad.  If we played 1s, 2s, or even 3s well into this game for example.  or game planned a ton, or blitzed a ton.  That's not what happened.  They played their usual vanillaish game with the guys they should have been using and the game was won by a couple guys making individual plays, not because of scheme or lopsided talent on the field.  Kyle Peko made 2 great individual plays on 3rd downs to get the ball back, Murphy's PR, even the GW drive. It was a scramble, a screen pass with penalty yards tacked on, and a square in.  Nothing crazy, just well executed.  

The previous games the staff obviously had a plan and Beane alluded to it.  They threw a lot intentionally weeks 1 and 2, ran a lot week 3.  They didn't deviate from that plan regardless of the score in those games.  Starters played appropriate amounts and, for the most part, the games were won by the backups (and in some cases the deeeep backups)  That's fine with me.  You want those guys to not be terrible and you want everyone balling out when they are on the field trying to win.  Does it mean anything for week 1 that we won tonight? Not at all, but I like the way they did it.

Precisely. (Or as Sergeant Nick Yemana would say, "Very Well Put.")

There may be something special about this group. It's impossible to say at this point, but they have a feeling, and comaraderie that seems different. It's a tribute to a Beane and McDermott, whom I personally have had some issues with. But they are definitely building something, and the guys play hard and for each other, which is good to see. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Wow.  I couldn't see the game so I watched Giants Pats.  Listening to you describe it is exciting.  Thanks.  

And you call yourself a Bills fan?  Pshhh.

• Haha (+1) 1

Yeah I have to admit when I knew the matchup was Tyree vs Sloter I thought this was the first time a pre season game was an easy bet -3. Told a good friend of mine that it was money in the bank too. We bet against Buffalo (Vikings -3 was the line). With 3.5 mins left and the score 23-3, I felt like a genius. But that’s precisely when the Vikes put it into cruise control and the Bills decided they wanted to win.

but before you start comparing it to our friend that put his house up against the Bills in last year’s Vikings game (or whatever crazy amount it was), it was only $58.... don’t worry lol

but it still sucks considering everything went as expected... and then it didn’t lol

either way here’s the take away...

NEVER BET AGAINST BILLS WHEN THEY ARE PLAYING THE VIKINGS! (And spoil the opportunity to enjoy something that would otherwise be a heck of a lot of fun to watch)

Edited by BobBelcher
  • Haha (+1) 1