29 Years Ago Today we lost Stevie Ray Vaughan in a Helicopter Crash

ChevyVanMiller

I always waffle between SRV and Hendrix as far as who was the greatest.  I love both of their music (not just guitar playing; all of their albums were great).

I was haze gray and underway in the Navy.  I worked in the radio room and we had a couple teletypes that did nothing but continuously print the AP newswire.

The first story that came over was that it was Eric Clapton who died.  My heart sank.  Then it was corrected and said it was SRV.  My heart sank even more.  I happened to have brought his last studio album, "In Step," with me on CD and played it for days.

He'd recently become sober and his guitar playing was so great; so clean.  He was having fun.  Such a tragic, sad ending to his life and career.

RIP, Stevie!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I listened to a couple of these... I'm also in the camp that couldn't name one song... he was pretty good for sure but I'll take Duane Allman and Kim Simmonds as far as this style of playing goes.

Sad to have Anyone have to exit early, especially from a man made product.

Grew up on SRV.   If I really need to zen out I throw on Lenny or his version of Little Wing.    Was just playing Life by the Drop this weekend.

I'd throw him above Hendrix because I enjoy Southern Blues a little more than what Hendrix was doing stylistically.   Toss up between Clapton and SRV. 

• Like (+1) 2

somewhat related tale, i love little wing, both Hendrix and SRV versions.  I 'hated' Pearl Jam.  Then i heard Yellow Ledbetter and it sucked me in with the intro that was a full on homage to Little Wing, it made me re-evaluate my thinking of Pearl Jam!

46 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Grew up on SRV.   If I really need to zen out I throw on Lenny or his version of Little Wing.    Was just playing Life by the Drop this weekend.

I'd throw him above Hendrix because I enjoy Southern Blues a little more than what Hendrix was doing stylistically.   Toss up between Clapton and SRV. 

30 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

somewhat related tale, i love little wing, both Hendrix and SRV versions.  I 'hated' Pearl Jam.  Then i heard Yellow Ledbetter and it sucked me in with the intro that was a full on homage to Little Wing, it made me re-evaluate my thinking of Pearl Jam!

That is cool.

Sting has a fantastic rendition of Little Wing, as well.

50 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

Really like Yellow Ledbetter.   I dont understand a word Eddie says but I sing along all the yebba debbas.   Just Breathe has become one of my more favorite chill out and think songs as well.

• Like (+1) 1

Twenty nine years ago today I arrived at Cornell just prior to the start of my junior year and one of my apartment mates arrived a few hours later and told us that SRV died in a helicopter crash at the concert venue he worked at over the summers.  The news hadn't hit the airwaves yet so we were incredulous at first.  He was named in the lawsuit initially but got his name taken off.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, T&C said:

I listened to a couple of these... I'm also in the camp that couldn't name one song... he was pretty good for sure but I'll take Duane Allman and Kim Simmonds as far as this style of playing goes.

Sad to have Anyone have to exit early, especially from a man made product.

The man made product that killed him was a helicopter.

Anyway, listen to some of his albums, the man was one of the best axemen ever.

• Thank you (+1) 1