Good reason to not let your kids play football

Bubba Gump

Both of my sons play football. I don't force them, they choose to. Fundamental tackling is gospel these days. It is drilled into them from the rookie leagues all the way up. It's still a violent sport, but kids can get hurt in any other sport just as well. Technology has come a long way as have the rules and coaching. You hope and pray your children never get hurt in any way, but injuries do happen. I'm not going to tell them they can't play because of that. 

15 minutes ago, H2o said:

Both of my sons play football. I don't force them, they choose to. Fundamental tackling is gospel these days. It is drilled into them from the rookie leagues all the way up. It's still a violent sport, but kids can get hurt in any other sport just as well. Technology has come a long way as have the rules and coaching. You hope and pray your children never get hurt in any way, but injuries do happen. I'm not going to tell them they can't play because of that. 

this is where i'm at with it.  if my son truly wants to play, i'd let him.  it really has to be his choice.  i played pop warner and high school, and loved it.  minor injuries here and there, but i remember it being well controlled, and the staff really was concerned about the safety of the kids.  this was years ago, so i'd hope it's improved since then.

9 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

This kid gets wrecked. I wonder how many NFL players have a lot more concussions that went un-diagnosed when they were younger. Morse has had 4 in his NFL career, but how many did he get while growing up?

Big hit but it looked clean really.

9 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

It might take another 30 years, but society will shift so that it is hard to find parents who are willing to let their children do this stuff.

And much more significantly, insurance companies may cease insuring schools so that they are unable to compete in football leagues.

When these things happen, the game will start to die.

And we will all be flying to work in these:

Image result for futuristic flying cars of the future

6 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Maybe we should open up a soccer forum on these boards to please the masses that feel this game is too violent.

Except girls soccer has the 2nd highest occurrence of concussions in sports! Maybe tennis instead?

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, MJS said:

Except girls soccer has the 2nd highest occurrence of concussions in sports! Maybe tennis instead?

in college we went to a girls soccer game to see our friend play.  two girls were in a full on sprint, got tangled up, and absolutely destroyed themselves.  it's one on the hardest i've seen people without pads hit the ground.  it was violent.

Edited by teef

1 minute ago, teef said:

in college we went to a girls soccer game to see our friend play.  two girls were in a full on sprint, got tangle up, and absolutely destroyed themselves.  it's one on the hardest i've seen people without pads hit the ground.  it was violent.

My sister played soccer in high school. She had a very bad concussion. She's had like 3 concussions since but not from soccer, just from normal day to day things where she happens to bump her head. That first concussion really messed her up.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, teef said:

in college we went to a girls soccer game to see our friend play.  two girls were in a full on sprint, got tangle up, and absolutely destroyed themselves.  it's one on the hardest i've seen people without pads hit the ground.  it was violent.

I remember in high school we went to watch a friend play field hockey. A girl got hit in the mouth with the ball and had her teeth knocked out and was bleeding everywhere

Just now, MJS said:

My sister played soccer in high school. She had a very bad concussion. She's had like 3 concussions since but not from soccer, just from normal day to day things where she happens to bump her head. That first concussion really messed her up.

girls soccer can be rough.  if my kids suffer a concussion like that in high school, (and i suppose it's tough to know how bad it is at that moment) i think that would be the point i pulled them from sports.

4 minutes ago, teef said:

girls soccer can be rough.  if my kids suffer a concussion like that in high school, (and i suppose it's tough to know how bad it is at that moment) i think that would be the point i pulled them from sports.

Yeah it's tough to know once they start acting completely normal again, because you think they are recovered but one little bump can send them spiraling again. But I think it took a few years for her to fully recover. She seems completely fine now.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, teef said:

in college we went to a girls soccer game to see our friend play.  two girls were in a full on sprint, got tangled up, and absolutely destroyed themselves.  it's one on the hardest i've seen people without pads hit the ground.  it was violent.

I'm not trying to sound sexist but the reason why referring girls basketball games was much harder was because they are more "out of control".  More bumps and bruises in their games and it's hard to call because it's mostly unintentional.  Those are so hard because if you blew the whistle on every contact, you would have 100 fouls a piece.  

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm not trying to sound sexist but the reason why referring girls basketball games was much harder was because they are more "out of control".  More bumps and bruises in their games and it's hard to call because it's mostly unintentional.  Those are so hard because if you blew the whistle on every contact, you would have 100 fouls a piece.  

what the ***** are you talking about?

11 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

I remember in high school we went to watch a friend play field hockey. A girl got hit in the mouth with the ball and had her teeth knocked out and was bleeding everywhere

good for business.