Good reason to not let your kids play football

Bubba Gump

i've read quite a bit about how girl's sports have much much higher injury rates than men's sports.

It seemed to be attributed to women having different (less robust) bodies than men, but that's impossible because women and men are equal and caitlyn jenner is a bravery winner as a women in sports, and she won the men's decathlon, so deal with it bigots. 

Living in an area I'm not born and raised, I wouldn't feel comfortable having my sons taught the sport by men I dont know.  I work too many hours to coach myself.  At this point I'm not a fan of them playing tackle football until high school age.  That doesnt limited their ability to play past high school if they are talented.  It does limited their exposure to injury and concussions.

20 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Living in an area I'm not born and raised, I wouldn't feel comfortable having my sons taught the sport by men I dont know.  I work too many hours to coach myself.  At this point I'm not a fan of them playing tackle football until high school age.  That doesnt limited their ability to play past high school if they are talented.  It does limited their exposure to injury and concussions.

It would be awfully hard to produce the next Tom Brady or manning if they never strap up the pads till they are 15-16

55 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

As a parent who had a son that played pop warner......I coached pop warner.....etc

What I learned eventually is that parents get way to carried away with sports before high school.....let the kids play if they WANT to play.....be nice to the other parents.....dont show up drunk at practice and games.....dont fight with parent of other teams

My son loved it......he went on to play varsity as a freshmen in high school...then he went onto scholarship offers before his senior year......tore his ACL BEFORE his senior year....but still loved  the game so he moved to Oregon and continued to play semi pro ball...they just won 2 consecutive championships there and he starts at linebacker there and is a team captain

MANY kids that play youth sports do not go on to play high school sports......its just a fact....so make sure they are enjoying the whole experience and understand that NOT playing youth sports doesnt mean they wont go on to productive high school players and possibly beyond.   An academic scholarship will do just as much if not more then a athletic one.

Yeah, I agree with the idea of letting them if they want to play.  My oldest wanted to and went from flag to Pop Warner, junior high and 4 years of high school. He liked it and was pretty dedicated. He put on about 70 lbs, mostly muscle, during high school. But he also realized that most colleges don't use 240 lb offensive linemen and his body was maxed out bulk wise. He was a shy kid and I think football really helped build his confidence.

My youngest...sigh.  He would be the tackler in the video of the OP. I know because I coached my oldest's flag team for 2 years, and that's what my youngest would do if I put him in a practice scrimmage if we were short handed. It didn't matter to him that the other kids were 2-3 years older or that tackling wasn't allowed in flag football. I used to call him my LB in training.

But he had no desire to play. In junior high, the coaches approached him repeatedly about joining. When he started high school, he told me the head coach trapped him on the first day and spent a 1/2 hour trying to convince him to join.  I never pushed it.

We had my oldest on a one concussion rule. If he got one, his career was over and he knew it. Luckily, he never got one. IDK, he had a friend that he played together with from flag football to high school.  A very good kid with really nice parents. But the kid had 3 concussions that I knew of, plus a seizure disorder. The parents never stopped him from playing. His senior year, the coach cut him under some pretense, but my oldest said it was really out of a concern for his health. He ended up transferring to another school.

13 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

This kid gets wrecked. I wonder how many NFL players have a lot more concussions that went un-diagnosed when they were younger. Morse has had 4 in his NFL career, but how many did he get while growing up?

Mitch Morse watched this and went right back into Stage 1...

• Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

It would be awfully hard to produce the next Tom Brady or manning if they never strap up the pads till they are 15-16

If they were drawn to football and had arms, there is flag football and 7 on 7.

2 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

If they were drawn to football and had arms, there is flag football and 7 on 7.

Neither replicate real contact football with pads or line play. 

Line play is down all over all football levels as well. If kids weren't allowed to strap it up till HS, development would go south .. Joe Thomas's and John Ogden's are also developed from 10 years old

My friend was a starting varsity tackle in 8th grade, 6'4 270 in 8th grade.. they shouldn't punish him for being good

5 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

I gave in and let my kid play this year, he has been asking since he was 5.   I made sure I could coach as I wanted to be as close to the field as possible.

With that said, the studies out there for public consumption say Soccer, Lacrosse, Gymnastics, and Wrestling all have comparable head injury rates.  

That's it, my kid is playing Fortnite!

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

They were doing it wrong.  Learn from the pro players:

Image result for worst soccer flop gif

This is embarrassing, he should be kicked in the nuts. 

41 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Neither replicate real contact football with pads or line play. 

Line play is down all over all football levels as well. If kids weren't allowed to strap it up till HS, development would go south .. Joe Thomas's and John Ogden's are also developed from 10 years old

My friend was a starting varsity tackle in 8th grade, 6'4 270 in 8th grade.. they shouldn't punish him for being good

I dont see what benefit my 12 or 13 year old son gains from playing varsity.  Even if he is a specimen. 

Playing other sports without the same level of contact will improve his body and mind in other areas that makes up for the percieved deficits in nuance. 

If they are in the 95 percentile in athletic ability to gain collegiate recognition it doesnt matter if they start in pads at 5, 10, or 14.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

I dont see what benefit my 12 or 13 year old son gains from playing varsity.  Even if he is a specimen. 

Playing other sports without the same level of contact will improve his body and mind in other areas that makes up for the percieved deficits in nuance. 

If they are in the 95 percentile in athletic ability to gain collegiate recognition it doesnt matter if they start in pads at 5, 10, or 14.

You can certainly have your opinion

90% of the NFL were born and raised playing football

The game will severely hurt if nobody ever strapped it up till 16. 

It's a game of repetition and practice, which they don't even get enough of

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

You can certainly have your opinion

90% of the NFL were born and raised playing football

The game will severely hurt if nobody ever strapped it up till 16. 

It's a game of repetition and practice, which they don't even get enough of

Correct.  But I love my kids more than football. 

Looking back at playing football from pee wee through high school and understanding that every "ding" I got was a minor concussion, was jarring for me.  Getting your body used to contact, for me means something different and now darker.

I never had what I thought was a concussion while playing.  Now older I now know I never had a severe one.  My sons will not have a concussion until they are more physically more mature and can sort of more understand the risks associated with playing organized tackle football.  

There are positives gained from playing football at any skill level.  To me the positives dont out way the risks til they are older and they beg me to allow them to play it.  I want them to beg me because they will truly need to love it to play it.  If they dont there is not a point to do it.

4 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Correct.  But I love my kids more than football. 

Looking back at playing football from pee wee through high school and understanding that every "ding" I got was a minor concussion, was jarring for me.  Getting your body used to contact, for me means something different and now darker.

I never had what I thought was a concussion while playing.  Now older I now know I never had a severe one.  My sons will not have a concussion until they are more physically more mature and can sort of more understand the risks associated with playing organized tackle football.  

There are positives gained from playing football at any skill level.  To me the positives dont out way the risks til they are older and they beg me to allow them to play it.  I want them to beg me because they will truly need to love it to play it.  If they dont there is not a point to do it.

That is fully acceptable and your right as a parent. Listen I'm not trying to downplay head injuries

I have played and coached my whole life. I lost my playing career to head injuries and I know how bad they are

Huge men flying around at fast speeds is not a great recipe. You really need to love the game