Tremaine Edmunds' run stopping

CNY315

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He did have struggles for sure.  However, there are a few people on here that were saying he lacks instincts to play MLB and needs to be moved outside.  

Yep - I can see eball's point more from his second post. I thought his first post was framed slightly incorrectly. Because it is not about those who said he struggled - but those who jumped to "and he will never be any good." 

Edited by GunnerBill

8 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He did have struggles for sure.  However, there are a few people on here that were saying he lacks instincts to play MLB and needs to be moved outside.  

it's ok to be critical of anyone on this team.  there were just some who decided to be over the top about a rookie.  i get criticism, but it's the over the top criticism that i think the op is point out.

One year in Madden franchise mode I drafted a 6'5'' 280 lb MLB at the bottom of the third round.  The 21 year old had 87 speed, 97 acceleration, 77 strength, but only 56 agility and very low awareness.  Because of his size and lack of agility, I thought he might be a better fit as a DE in a 4-3, or maybe as a pass rushing OLB in a 3-4.  In the end I stuck with his original position, dropped his weight to 265, and added 21 agility (for a total of 77) before the start of his 3rd season.  

I had never really had a MLB this big OR this rangy.  But my god the things this guy did for my defense.  He was almost impossible to create a good offensive matchup against, especially in coverage.  I think he averaged over 3 INTs and 10 PBUs per year outside of being a tackling monster for almost 15 seasons.  Probably a top 5 CPU-generated player ever created during one of my franchise drafts.  

Tremaine immediately reminds me of this guy.  

10 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

I'll admit it, I was a Kyle Van Der Esch honk. I wanted KVE more than Edmunds. When Buffalo moved back up I swore they were taking KVE.

I was very hard on Edmunds his first year, he struggled many times early in his first year.

But the young (20!) man learned how to call a defense that ended 2nd not only in yards allowed, but also defensive DVOA.

He improved as the year went on. He began to play at NFL speed and it has carried over to preseason.

I don't think KVE could call a defense yet, for Edmunds it's now becoming natural at 21.

Edmunds is going to be Buffalo's Defensive anchor with Tre White for a decade.

Born by fire seemed to have worked with Edmunds, McDermott knew this was his guy, his next Keuchly.

I have loved what I've seen from Edmunds in the preseason. He is everywhere, and calling good defenses.

I was wrong about Tremaine 'the train' Edmunds. I just want him to lay a pace setting lick from time to time.

Are you talking about Leighton Vander Esch?

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I think most fans said they need to see Edmunds improve this year if he is to remain starting MLB because he was exposed at the position in several games. 

What is wrong with that? 

Whats wrong with that is that there are certain posters who rarely actually talk Bills football and instead choose to spend most of their time insulting other posters who don’t have the same positive opinion of everything Bills’ football.

They talk about the “negative posters” but they are the most negative of them all. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MDH said:

Whats wrong with that is that there are certain posters who rarely actually talk Bills football and instead choose to spend most of their time insulting other posters who don’t have the same positive opinion of everything Bills’ football.

They talk about the “negative posters” but they are the most negative of them all. 

this is deep.  

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, eball said:

Dude, I am going to so enjoy seeing all of the “Edmunds had a bad year” and “he didn’t look good, he’s out of position” ninnies eat their words this season.

Why? Things are subject to change, there are no constants. You can’t fault someone for being objective. Players have good games, bad games, good seasons and bad seasons. Opinions could and should change. No reason to be heartbroken over it. 

17 hours ago, eball said:

Dude, I am going to so enjoy seeing all of the “Edmunds had a bad year” and “he didn’t look good, he’s out of position” ninnies eat their words this season.

The near-constant "out of position" stuff drove me nuts last season. Yeah he's gonna get caught out of position, he's moving from playing outside for most of his college career to moving to middle linebacker and being asked to command the defense... at age 20. It's as if some "fans" expect perfection right out of the gate and if not, "FIRE BEANE!"

12 minutes ago, Sunshower said:

Why? Things are subject to change, there are no constants. You can’t fault someone for being objective. Players have good games, bad games, good seasons and bad seasons. Opinions could and should change. No reason to be heartbroken over it. 

I think eball clarified what he meant in his reply to me. I think he was talking specifically over those who said he had a bad year and that proved he would never cut it. 

9 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

The near-constant "out of position" stuff drove me nuts last season. Yeah he's gonna get caught out of position, he's moving from playing outside for most of his college career to moving to middle linebacker and being asked to command the defense... at age 20. It's as if some "fans" expect perfection right out of the gate and if not, "FIRE BEANE!"

But he was out of position a lot in the run game and was misreading his gaps and losing lane discipline. You can't be anry with fans for noticing that and commenting on it. Fair enough if people jumped straight then to "bust" or "Fire Beane" but I don't remember many doing that. I do remember some, I was not among them by the way, questioning whether his true position was going to be as an MLB in the NFL or whether he would have to move outside or even to a hybrid edge rusher role. To me that was premature given that in college he made big leap year 1 to year 2 and I thought it was prudent to see if that would transpire in the pros as well before jumping to position moves.  

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think eball clarified what he meant in his reply to me. I think he was talking specifically over those who said he had a bad year and that proved he would never cut it. 

I like to read, and always respect, your preseason opinions on players so i'll ask you this. and i'll start by saying I really like Edmunds and have gone to bat for him plenty..... but are we getting ahead of ourselves on how far and fast he has progressed? if a lot of qb's out in the preseason are only seeing vanilla defenses that are easy to diagnose doesn't it stand to reason that Edmunds is seeing some seriously vanilla running philosophies that may be quite easy to decipher?

i'm really excited about him but I feel I may be getting ahead of myself so I posed that question to myself and couldn't really find any answer.... I guess the answer would lie in if he's shown marked improve from last years diagnoses of vanilla preseason offenses and this year. and I cant say as I remember enough to answer that. I havnt read through the whole thread so forgive me, everyone, if this has been touched on.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

Just now, Stank_Nasty said:

I like to read, and always respect, your preseason opinions on players so i'll ask you this. and i'll start by saying I really like Edmunds and have gone to bat for him plenty..... but are we getting ahead of ourselves on how far and fast he has progressed? if a lot of qb's out in the preseason are only seeing vanilla defenses that are easy to diagnose doesn't it stand to reason that Edmunds is seeing some seriously vanilla running philosophies that may be quite easy to decipher?

i'm really excited about him but I feel I may be getting ahead of myself so I posed that question to myself and couldn't really find any answer.... I guess the answer would lie in if he's shown marked improve from last years diagnoses of vanilla preseason offenses and this year. and I cant say as I remember enough to answer that.

It's a fair question. I think we should never get totally carried away (good or bad - like cut Ed Oliver he is clearly a bust) over pre-season performances. I thought Edmunds was decent in the first two games but I thought he jumped off the screen on Friday night he was, to me at least, clearly the best player on the field in the first half and that is encouraging and we should not prevent ourselves from feeling encouraged by that. 

As for the QBs being out and the vanilla offenses.... the latter worries me more than the former. My biggest concerns last year were with Edmunds positional game against the run rather than anything else. I thought his play recognition, his lane discipline and his general run fits were all a bit off too often - even down the stretch when he started to make some real splash plays in the passing game. Quarterbacks do affect that for sure, but what affects it more is more complex schemes and more of the misdirection stuff which teams are not running yet. That said, last season I think Edmunds was too often out of position even against what I called "meat and potatoes" run plays not just the cutbacks or the more exotic misdirection stuff. I saw him hit the wrong gap against straightforward running back dive plays in 2018. So to see him on point on that stuff in pre-season, even though it is only pre-season, is hopefully a pointer to a better 2nd year. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

But he was out of position a lot in the run game and was misreading his gaps and losing lane discipline. You can't be anry with fans for noticing that and commenting on it. Fair enough if people jumped straight then to "bust" or "Fire Beane" but I don't remember many doing that. I do remember some, I was not among them by the way, questioning whether his true position was going to be as an MLB in the NFL or whether he would have to move outside or even to a hybrid edge rusher role. To me that was premature given that in college he made big leap year 1 to year 2 and I thought it was prudent to see if that would transpire in the pros as well before jumping to position moves.  

Everything you said is fair. I suppose I mean I wish some fans would exercise a bit more patience and leave room for errors, especially with a kid as young as him stepping into a new position. He's gonna make mistakes and miss things but that's the only way he's gonna learn. At times it feels a player can do 99 out of 100 things correctly and some fans would ignore the 99 and focus on the one wrong thing. I guess I just prefer to wait it out and see what happens. If the guy is blowing assignments by mid-season this year, then yeah, I can see some cause for concern. But some people are just so quick to judge. Especially some draft nerds who look to find anything to reinforce their evaluation. Josh Allen could go out there and throw 20 for 22 for 350 yards and 4 TDs and that Cian McFartface guy would write 10,000 words on the two passes he missed. 

Edited by blacklabel
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

Everything you said is fair. I suppose I mean I wish some fans would exercise a bit more patience and leave room for errors, especially with a kid as young as him stepping into a new position. He's gonna make mistakes and miss things but that's the only way he's gonna learn. At times it feels a player can do 99 out of 100 things correctly and some fans would ignore the 99 and focus on the one wrong thing. I guess I just prefer to wait it out and see what happens. If the guy is blowing assignments by mid-season this year, then yeah, I can see some cause for concern. But some people are just so quick to judge. Especially some draft nerds who look to find anything to reinforce their evaluation. Josh Allen could go out there and throw 20 for 22 for 350 yards and 4 TDs and that Cian McFartface guy would write 10,000 words on the two passes he missed. 

Time for the season to start...redundancy at play!

• Like (+1) 1